Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Busted! N+1 discovered by wife...how to placate?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Busted! N+1 discovered by wife...how to placate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 09:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not married, I take it?
Lo these many years, and a practice run before that.

Wives could argue. Wives can argue that dark isn't the absence of light ... logic isn't a factor.

This wouldn't be a double-edged sword---this would be handing the sword to your wife and fighting bare-handed.
Different strokes for different folks.

But if I wanted to disguise a bike purchase (too late for OP for this one), I think I'd transform an existing bike piece by piece over a period of a year or so. Come to think about it, that would describe my current bike if I swapped the frame and headset. I never thought of it that way before.
Old 04-21-17, 09:29 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I just hope that if I die, my dear wife doesnt sell my bikes for what I told her I paid for them.....
Old 04-21-17, 09:39 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
New vacuum cleaner for her.
might as well hand her a sharp knife
Old 04-21-17, 10:22 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
Snipped You wound't ride a rock-garden on a Pinarello race bike now, would you?

Snipped
Ah, you might if your name is Marty Ashton. MAke sure she doesn't see this or she might say, "If he can do it then you can do it too!" ;<) LOL VBEG

Martyn Ashton - Amazing Road Bike Stunt Riding

"It's not every day that you see a carbon road bike being used as a stunt machine."

Cheers
Old 04-21-17, 10:47 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Next time make sure to cover the new bike in dust and grime BEFORE bringing it home. then you can tell he that it followed you home and you had no choice but to give it shelter.

VBEG LOL

Cheers
Old 04-21-17, 12:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
6 pages in just 2 days ...? hit a popular nerve!
Old 04-21-17, 01:24 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
6 pages in just 2 days ...? hit a popular nerve!
Even passed on your left....
Old 04-21-17, 03:05 PM
wrpeterson
Graybeard

Bikes: Spec. Diverge, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Pacer (ret), Surly Cross Check (ret), Spec. Roubaix Comp (ret), Spec. Roubaix Triple (ret), Spec. Allez Compact Sport (ret), Trek 720 (ret), Lambert Super Sport (ret), CCM (ret), Concord Freedom Dlx (ret)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the OP - thought about setting up a bi-weekly cleaning service? Mine comes in at around $200/mo and I find it easily worth double that - frees me up for adventures and fun rather than cleaning floors/toilets, etc.

Bill
Old 04-21-17, 04:55 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If she REALLY loved you she would have gotten you a Miele C3 vacuum with all the extras. Just sayin'.
We've got one (C3 C&D), love it!

Save
Save
Old 04-21-17, 05:03 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
oh man, this is sooo easy....

I was bitten by the cycling bug a few months ago, and after setting up my first bike (Trek Crossrip) as a commuter with rack & panniers, I started to wonder whether I should get a second sportier bike "just for fun".

I knew my better half would pour cold water over that idea immediately, so I bought my N+1 clandestinely, and kept it hidden in my (usefully full) garage.

This morning I thought...hey, I should try my new bike for my commute...maybe I could get there faster?

Unfortunately I forgot my water bottle and as I opened the door to fetch it, she-who-must-be-obeyed spotted the new bike. If it had been the same colour as the other bike, I might have gotten away with it, but the bright orange frame was a dead giveaway, and I was royally busted.

She was not best amused, and my feeble excuse about saving $15 a day in transport costs fell on deaf ears...after all, I already had a bike, so why did I need a second one? I got the door closed on me with complaints of me spending our money on unnecessary toys (although I found it pretty easy to justify the cost...must be a boy thing).

I have a few other "equipment oriented" hobbies (astronomy, target shooting, computers) that tend to lead to the acquisition of several versions of the primary gear. I have tried to explain that all of my telescopes, rifles and computers have different purposes, and that bikes are just the same. You wound't ride a rock-garden on a Pinarello race bike now, would you?

So....can anyone recommend ways to win over a non-cycling partner to the benefits of more bikes?

At least I found out that N = 2 is probably going to be my limit unless I want to risk S=1 :-(
How many purses does she have??
Old 04-21-17, 05:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by kansukee
I have never seen the need to hide whatever I buy from my wife. As long as the household expenses are taken care of, whatever I do with my money is my business. I don't care if she spends her money on clothes etc so why should I have to apologize for spending mine on bike stuff?

This was the one thing I made clear from day one. Keep a joint account for household expenses and separate personal accounts for our hobbies and things should work out just fine.
Where does retirement money come from - do you consider it a "his retirement" and "her retirement" or "our retirement"? Serious question from someone who in 33 years of marriage have never had separate accounts for anything. Everything is joint, including non-qualified investment we have for retirement. The only exceptions are qualified retirement accounts which, while not joint (they can't be) are considered by both of us to be. (and would be if we every separated.... according to divorce laws in the state I live in).
Old 04-21-17, 05:56 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
New vacuum cleaner for her.
And a divorce lawyer?
Old 04-21-17, 05:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
My wife fully supports my cycling addiction.

She knows and understand about my cycling vice.

I am a fortunate man.
Old 04-21-17, 06:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Where does retirement money come from - do you consider it a "his retirement" and "her retirement" or "our retirement"? Serious question from someone who in 33 years of marriage have never had separate accounts for anything. Everything is joint, including non-qualified investment we have for retirement. The only exceptions are qualified retirement accounts which, while not joint (they can't be) are considered by both of us to be. (and would be if we every separated.... according to divorce laws in the state I live in).
We occasionally negotiate who can pay for what, based on ability. When I retire, I may not have much in assets, so if I don't have to contribute as much to home maintenance, then I'll be able to afford to live.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-21-17, 06:08 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I was bitten by the cycling bug a few months ago, and [...]

So....can anyone recommend ways to win over a non-cycling partner to the benefits of more bikes?[...]
I once listened to a speaker who has done marriage counseling for more than 30 years. He's seen it all. He told the audience "Men, spend a little money on your marriage once in a while, otherwise you're going to spend a lot more on the lawyers at some point."

This is very good advice. Happy wife, happy life. Does the OP get into some hobby and then lose interest? If not, then I would suggest that you save your breath regarding "the benefits of more bikes," and let your behavior-- riding consistently, losing weight, whatever-- speak for itself. Lots of decent advice in the thread, but I admit I LOLed at the vacuum cleaner suggestion.
Old 04-21-17, 06:27 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
You do know why divorce is so expensive, right.....?
Because it is worth it!
Old 04-21-17, 07:32 PM
johngwheeler

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Ah, you might if your name is Marty Ashton. MAke sure she doesn't see this or she might say, "If he can do it then you can do it too!" ;<) LOL VBEG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1f...feature=relmfu

Martyn Ashton - Amazing Road Bike Stunt Riding

"It's not every day that you see a carbon road bike being used as a stunt machine."

Cheers
Yes, but it didn't work out too well for poor Martyn (parallized from the waist down)...he made a comeback riding downhill MTB. Watching it on Youtube brings a tear to your eye. He knew the risks, I guess, but ending up unable to cycle must be a very cruel blow for someone so talented.
Old 04-21-17, 07:36 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrpeterson
To the OP - thought about setting up a bi-weekly cleaning service? Mine comes in at around $200/mo and I find it easily worth double that - frees me up for adventures and fun rather than cleaning floors/toilets, etc.

Bill
Good idea, and something my wife has suggested before....however domestic help is really expensive in Australia. There's a $18/hr minimum wage here, and most people expect more!
Old 04-21-17, 08:15 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lol seems like this thread has turned into a question that belongs on Family Feud. "100 cyclists surveyed...Top 6 answers on the board to this question.."What is the best way to win over the non cycling wife who ultimately controls your life anyway???

GREAT SEX! makes it allllll go away lol..Cause if you cant perform in bed like you can on the road you aint #^&% in her book lol...

But seriously I think the OP did do a tongue and cheek on this one. Enjoy your bike dont worry about it, life goes on. I would like to think a good relationship can overcome another toy purchase....
Old 04-22-17, 05:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
We've got one (C3 C&D), love it!

Save
Save
So do I. Going to fire it up in a few hours. It doesn't even scare the cat.
Old 04-22-17, 04:44 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EnjoyinTheRide
But seriously I think the OP did do a tongue and cheek on this one. Enjoy your bike dont worry about it, life goes on. I would like to think a good relationship can overcome another toy purchase....
I think it was only a minor infraction in the big black book of my sins. I apologised for being selfish and obsessed with my hobbies, said I wouldn't do it again, and spent yesterday looking very busy with household cleaning / tidying jobs and basically trying to be an exemplary husband. I still have some work to go in this respect :-)

Now...I reckon I had get away with a new wheel set more easily, don't you think? What those old Zipps / Enves? Every bike needs spare wheels, just like a car!
Old 04-23-17, 06:25 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Tell the wife she should be thankful she's not married to a lardbutt couch potato. Buy what you want. She has no business telling you how to spend your money.
Old 04-23-17, 09:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Tell the wife she should be thankful she's not married to a lardbutt couch potato. Buy what you want. She has no business telling you how to spend your money.
LOL.

In some states, everything in the house and in the bank is co-owned. there is no "yours and mine."

I suppose if the wife came home with a $3.2 million diamond tiara and said "I paid for it with My credit card from the joint account" everything would be cool, right?

Fact is, in a team, everything is everybody's. Every dollar I spend on my doesn't get invested in the retirement fund ... which means when we no longer have incomes, I have toys and the wife and I have no food or medical.

"Short-sighted" and "selfish" are two great ways to stay single, or get single again.
Old 04-23-17, 10:13 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
LOL.

In some states, everything in the house and in the bank is co-owned. there is no "yours and mine."

I suppose if the wife came home with a $3.2 million diamond tiara and said "I paid for it with My credit card from the joint account" everything would be cool, right?

Fact is, in a team, everything is everybody's. Every dollar I spend on my doesn't get invested in the retirement fund ... which means when we no longer have incomes, I have toys and the wife and I have no food or medical.

"Short-sighted" and "selfish" are two great ways to stay single, or get single again.

Well therein lies the OPs way out. He bought it for her as much as him. What kind of woman would be ungrateful for a gift?
Old 04-23-17, 11:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Well therein lies the OPs way out. He bought it for her as much as him. What kind of woman would be ungrateful for a gift?
Perfect. Thread over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.