Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2004 Lemond Zurich for a first road bike?

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

2004 Lemond Zurich for a first road bike?

Old 11-19-20, 12:35 AM
  #1  
lcdel
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2004 Lemond Zurich for a first road bike?

I'm looking online at used bikes for my first road bike purchase and found a great-looking condition 2004 Lemond Zurich for $625. I want something relatively comfortable (don't want to hate taking it on long rides), can handle hills, and is zippy/fun. Thoughts on if this is the right bike for me and a decent deal?

I'm also a little confused about the fit as I'm a 5'6 F and have ridden 54cm bikes, but the seller listed this bike as 54cm for 5'9 and up.

Thanks!
lcdel is offline  
Old 11-19-20, 03:57 AM
  #2  
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 1,694

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts
https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...nualLemond.pdf

Look at the Zurich geometry in the manual from the above link. Lemonds generally have a longer top tube and the fit is considered on the large side. The sizing on this model is listed as 51cm and 53cm, not 54. At 5'6", depending on your body dimensions, the 54 might be a bit big for you, but doable. Is the seller close enough for you to go and visually check out the bike, or someone you know close enough? Those frames and forks are really nice and, it it fits you, quite comfortable. Buying a bike unseen and without a test ride is always a bit of a gamble. You almost always have to put some money into one to fix or change out components/parts. If you can do that yourself, the cost is minimized.
delbiker1 is online now  
Old 11-19-20, 04:39 AM
  #3  
lcdel
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1 View Post
https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...nualLemond.pdf

Look at the Zurich geometry in the manual from the above link. Lemonds generally have a longer top tube and the fit is considered on the large side. The sizing on this model is listed as 51cm and 53cm, not 54. At 5'6", depending on your body dimensions, the 54 might be a bit big for you, but doable. Is the seller close enough for you to go and visually check out the bike, or someone you know close enough? Those frames and forks are really nice and, it it fits you, quite comfortable. Buying a bike unseen and without a test ride is always a bit of a gamble. You almost always have to put some money into one to fix or change out components/parts. If you can do that yourself, the cost is minimized.
Thanks, a big fit makes more sense why theyd have the height listed as taller. I can go check it out (its a local seller), just a bit nervous that if its subtly too big for me I might not be able to tell since Im pretty inexperienced.
lcdel is offline  
Old 11-19-20, 06:55 AM
  #4  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,504 Posts
Youve gotten good advice on the fit. My only additional comment is that $625 seems very high for that bike. Used bikes depreciate very rapidly. Unless it is in absolutely pristine condition and/or has some significant upgrades, it should be lower than that.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-19-20, 06:59 AM
  #5  
fishboat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,039

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata drop bar conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(purchased new), '88 GT Tequesta(purchased new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 drop bar conv

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 265 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by lcdel View Post
Thanks, a big fit makes more sense why they’d have the height listed as taller. I can go check it out (it’s a local seller), just a bit nervous that if it’s subtly too big for me I might not be able to tell since I’m pretty inexperienced.
It would be a fine first road bike(or second, third, or fourth) and one that's a long-term keeper (if it fits) even if you pick up other bikes at some point. If it fits, it should be a comfortable ride over longer miles. Your seller's asking price is in the ballpark if the bike is in very good condition. I always offer less and see where it goes.

The convention/rule of thumb for frames at the time & previous was that a 53cm frame would have a 53cm (effective or actual if non-sloped) top tube. Lemond, in this case, made frames at 55cm and less with top tubes 1.5cm longer. The 53cm had a eff top tube of 54.5cm. I typically ride a 56cm frame. In a Lemond I ride a 55cm frame with a eff top tube of 56.5cm.

The '04 looks to be a spine bike (steel/carbon frame). MSRP at the time was $2450 ($3300 in today's dollars). You'd be getting a lot of bike for $600ish.

As far as checking it out pre-purchase. With a spine bike you'd need to look at it from both a steel and carbon bike perspective..you may want to research that a bit. If I ran across a spine Lemond in the right condition at the right price I wouldn't hesitate in buying it if it checked out OK. Fun bike.

edit.. a thought on sizing. If you ride it and find yourself reaching/stretching to ride on the brake hoods(your arms will be straight-locked at the elbows..not desireable), then it's large for you. This can be adjusted somewhat by getting a shorter stem and/or shorter-reach handlebars. If you swap out either..save them to keep the bike original if need be.

Last edited by fishboat; 11-19-20 at 07:04 AM.
fishboat is offline  
Old 11-19-20, 10:26 AM
  #6  
ericcox
Trying to keep up
 
ericcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,017

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
I am curious about the price. I have 2007 Orbea that was in a similar price range and is in very good shape (I've been riding it this week as my other bike is out of commission). I'd be thrilled if someone paid me that much for it. I would definitely offer less and see if they take it if the bike fits.
ericcox is offline  
Old 11-19-20, 02:32 PM
  #7  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,235
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 252 Posts
If it is in good to very good condition $625 is a great price.
downhillmaster is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 02:36 AM
  #8  
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: san diego (uni/normal heights), california
Posts: 6,126

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 640 Posts
you could do a lot worse but it depends. i'm assuming it's a full bike-including wheels. i think the original release had shimano ultegra
components which tend to last. still rocking 2002 shimano ultegra components on a bike of mine with zero issues.
if it was just the frame (and a bottom bracket), i'd pass. without seeing pics/listing, it's all generalizations but if it's the original
bike with all the og components and paint is in decent shape, it would be a great deal for you if it fits sizewise. if you've got to force the fit
and it's (semi-) uncomfortably, it's not worth it.

that said...going price for a lemond zurich-frame only-from the late 90's to very early this century (before your potential buy) is
consistently in the $450 range in very good condition.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 11-20-20 at 02:43 AM.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 06:09 AM
  #9  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,697

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by lcdel View Post
I'm looking online at used bikes for my first road bike purchase and found a great-looking condition 2004 Lemond Zurich for $625. I want something relatively comfortable (don't want to hate taking it on long rides), can handle hills, and is zippy/fun. Thoughts on if this is the right bike for me and a decent deal?

I'm also a little confused about the fit as I'm a 5'6 F and have ridden 54cm bikes, but the seller listed this bike as 54cm for 5'9 and up.

Thanks!
People need to stop using height as a determinant for frame size. If you are 6' tall with a 34" inseam your frame size is going to be different from some one 6' with a 30" inseam. Having said that, it is also true that we can ride a range of sizes. In my case (32.5" inseam and 5'9") that is generally 54-56 frame. Although a 55 with 55 TT is perfect.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 06:54 AM
  #10  
joesch
Senior Member
 
joesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hotel CA / DFW
Posts: 864

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 00 Klein Attitude Comp MTB, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 128 Posts
Reads like a very good choice.
Lemond made great frames and 853 is a very nice steel.
For the same price and smaller 51cm, check out this offering on ebay

Lemond Zurich Road Bike Reynolds 853 Pro, Shimano Ultegra, Rolf, Michelin, 51cm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lemond-Zuri...oAAOSwtkNfrr84
joesch is offline  
Likes For joesch:
Old 11-20-20, 07:39 AM
  #11  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,504 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
If it is in good to very good condition $625 is a great price.
According to Bicycle Blue Book, that bike (in good-vg condition) is worth $350-$396 in a private party sale.
Koyote is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 08:31 AM
  #12  
fishboat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,039

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata drop bar conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(purchased new), '88 GT Tequesta(purchased new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 drop bar conv

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 265 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
According to Bicycle Blue Book, that bike (in good-vg condition) is worth $350-$396 in a private party sale.
BBB is reliably low on most bikes, relative to their actual asking/selling price. My ongoing hope with any bike I'm interested in is that the owner is using BBB as their pricing guide. There's a number of threads here on BF discussing the accuracy of BBB. It appears the BBB algorithm assumes all bikes are equal...which isn't true. I just looked up the BBB estimate on a Bridgestone MB-1, 1994(highly sought after bike). It estimates $275. Unless it was in tragically sad condition, I doubt we'll see any MB-1's at priced at $275. I usually see them at $500-$1000(asking).

With respect to Lemonds.. I keep pretty close tabs on CL Lemonds (daily, usually) over WI, MN, IL, IN, IA, & MI and have for several years now. (Morning routine with coffee..some folks read the paper..) I also keep reasonably close tabs on ebay sales..sellers are most often VERY optimistic in pricing, and the (lack of) completed sales indicate this. Ebay pricing has to be high given the fees they charge.

$625 for a spine Zurich, in very good condition cosmetically (I'd expect near new condition) with a sound frame and perfect condition mechanically (fairly common...there's so many bikes out there that have seen minimal miles) is a bit high, but I doubt it would ever go for less than $500, unless the seller hasn't got a clue..which is something we all hope for.. I'd think $550 may be a lowest price an informed seller would go. If he/she doesn't mind waiting too long..they'll probably get $600ish.

Of course, asking/selling prices are regional. On the west coast I'd expect prices to be less as there's so many Lemonds for sale. There has been a covid bump in pricing. I haven't seen it too much in the searching I do, but it does (or did) exist. There's always people that haven't got a clue in the opposite direction...asking $500 for a '90s Trek 820 mtn bike..not going to happen even if it was brand new.
fishboat is offline  
Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-21-20, 12:48 AM
  #13  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,235
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
According to Bicycle Blue Book, that bike (in good-vg condition) is worth $350-$396 in a private party sale.

If you ever sell a bike I hope you set your price based upon their parameters.
downhillmaster is offline  
Old 11-21-20, 04:09 AM
  #14  
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: san diego (uni/normal heights), california
Posts: 6,126

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 640 Posts
thems fire sale parameters.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 11-21-20, 04:11 AM
  #15  
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: san diego (uni/normal heights), california
Posts: 6,126

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch View Post
Reads like a very good choice.
Lemond made great frames and 853 is a very nice steel.
For the same price and smaller 51cm, check out this offering on ebay

Lemond Zurich Road Bike Reynolds 853 Pro, Shimano Ultegra, Rolf, Michelin, 51cm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lemond-Zuri...oAAOSwtkNfrr84
looks to be in great shape. i prefer this era of lemond bikes/graphics vs the earlier or the later.
ooga-booga is offline  
Likes For ooga-booga:
Old 11-21-20, 06:32 AM
  #16  
joesch
Senior Member
 
joesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hotel CA / DFW
Posts: 864

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 00 Klein Attitude Comp MTB, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat View Post
BBB is reliably low on most bikes, relative to their actual asking/selling price. My ongoing hope with any bike I'm interested in is that the owner is using BBB as their pricing guide. There's a number of threads here on BF discussing the accuracy of BBB. It appears the BBB algorithm assumes all bikes are equal...which isn't true. I just looked up the BBB estimate on a Bridgestone MB-1, 1994(highly sought after bike). It estimates $275. Unless it was in tragically sad condition, I doubt we'll see any MB-1's at priced at $275. I usually see them at $500-$1000(asking).

With respect to Lemonds.. I keep pretty close tabs on CL Lemonds (daily, usually) over WI, MN, IL, IN, IA, & MI and have for several years now. (Morning routine with coffee..some folks read the paper..) I also keep reasonably close tabs on ebay sales..sellers are most often VERY optimistic in pricing, and the (lack of) completed sales indicate this. Ebay pricing has to be high given the fees they charge.

$625 for a spine Zurich, in very good condition cosmetically (I'd expect near new condition) with a sound frame and perfect condition mechanically (fairly common...there's so many bikes out there that have seen minimal miles) is a bit high, but I doubt it would ever go for less than $500, unless the seller hasn't got a clue..which is something we all hope for.. I'd think $550 may be a lowest price an informed seller would go. If he/she doesn't mind waiting too long..they'll probably get $600ish.

Of course, asking/selling prices are regional. On the west coast I'd expect prices to be less as there's so many Lemonds for sale. There has been a covid bump in pricing. I haven't seen it too much in the searching I do, but it does (or did) exist. There's always people that haven't got a clue in the opposite direction...asking $500 for a '90s Trek 820 mtn bike..not going to happen even if it was brand new.
Depends as ebay makes prices global but regional buyers value bikes differently and maybe able take advantage of buying via Craigs List, etc and avoid shipping. I really dont consult BBB as a realistic value guide. Ebay sellers are the market makers and only prices that sold matter, not list prices that go week after week and month after month as unsold.
joesch is offline  
Likes For joesch:
Old 11-21-20, 10:09 AM
  #17  
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar
 
RNAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: O'Fallon, IL
Posts: 778

Bikes: '15 Trek Emonda SL8 Red, '03 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '90 Trek 420 converted to FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lcdel View Post
I'm looking online at used bikes for my first road bike purchase and found a great-looking condition 2004 Lemond Zurich for $625. I want something relatively comfortable (don't want to hate taking it on long rides), can handle hills, and is zippy/fun. Thoughts on if this is the right bike for me and a decent deal?

I'm also a little confused about the fit as I'm a 5'6 F and have ridden 54cm bikes, but the seller listed this bike as 54cm for 5'9 and up.

Thanks!
I own two steel LeMonds and can confirm they are comfy, have great handling, and are fun to ride. I have a Croix de fer, which has identical geometry to the Zurich. I recently picked up a LeMond Washoe and like it so much, I ended up selling my sub-15 pound Trek Emonda. Both LeMonds are very smooth riding.

The great thing about this bike since it's your first is that the entry cost isn't too high. IMO, you're getting a better quality bike than you could get new for ~$1000-$1500. So, if you end up not liking road biking, you're not out too much. If you decide you do like it, then you've got a great frame that you can easily upgrade with a modern group set.

My Washoe is currently at the painter getting a custom paint job. Here's my Croix de fer for reference:

RNAV is offline  
Likes For RNAV:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.