Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Bad Boy 1 City Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-21, 03:24 PM
Edichek

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent, Breezer Uptown 8, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi to all,

I've been eying Cannondale Bad Boy 1 City Bike for a while. It has a very peculiar fork. I've never seen another bike with a fork like this. Why would they build'm like this? Is there any advantage in a fork with this configuration or is this just an effort to look original? BTW, this model is considered by "experts" as one of the best hybrid bikes available. Thanks
Old 01-30-21, 05:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/cannondal...plained-330076
Old 01-30-21, 06:11 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
A single leg "fork" allegedly has better strength/weight characteristics than a traditional fork. The downside is you have to use a wheel with a special hub.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-30-21, 06:21 PM
Edichek

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent, Breezer Uptown 8, Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tyrion
A single leg "fork" allegedly has better strength/weight characteristics than a traditional fork. The downside is you have to use a wheel with a special hub.
totally counterintuitive, but who am I to argue with experts. On the intuitive level, if this configuration were really superior to the conventional fork, wouldn't more manufacturers use it... Anyways, there's this Bad Boy 1 bike is available for sale locally, used of course, and I thought I would ask the esteemed public...Thanks to all who responded...
Old 01-30-21, 06:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Way, way back when mountain bikes first grew suspension, Cannondale's entry was in the steerer and called Head Shok. The travel grew until it couldn't be done within that height, so they invented the Lefty fork which took the works and moved it to the side. They had to design a single sided hub to go with. Against all odds, through a major ownership change, and shifting of production overseas, they have kept it going all these years. On the Bad Boy with, no suspension at all, it's just a style choice. It screams Cannondale to anyone who likes mountain bikes.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-30-21, 06:54 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I always thought that fork was gimmiky but they have been using it for years on their mountain bikes, gravel bikes and city bikes so it must work. Many years ago I purchased the very first iteration of the Bad Boy and It was certainly in the top two bikes I have ever owned. I regret getting rid of but I did donate it to a bike charity so I take solace in that.

The bike you posted looks great. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase something like that. As Tyrion said above the only drawback is you are tied into their ecosystem of forks, headsets and front wheels and you can't easily add fenders if that is your thing. Let us know if you purchase it and post your impressions.
Old 01-30-21, 06:55 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I was looking into the Cannondale bad boy, I like how the top tube is sloping and and head tube is pretty tall. But the reach is quite long for a commuting style bike, which sort of turned me away. Its designed this way due to the flat bars.
Old 01-30-21, 09:33 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
The C'dale Bad Boy was the first to be labelled a "City Bike", if memory serves. It defined the segment.
Old 01-31-21, 10:30 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I like the Bad Boy, especially the ‘1’ with the belt drive IGH and the Lefty.
I happen to like the Lefty ‘fork’. It’s a really clever piece of engineering, and a tie-back to some of the really radical stuff they were doing in the Made-in-USA day’s, when they were at the peak of their powers.

I find the ride ride of the 650B Bad Boys to be very reminiscent of the NORBA era CAAD-3 ‘F’ series 26” XC bikes; Long and low, aggressive and nimble, which are good traits to have in the cut-and-thrust of urban riding.
Old 01-31-21, 05:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I don't know the overall history of the Bad Boy but it's always existed alongside the regular hybrid bikes. The difference is that it's basically a 700c road tire version of a 26" XC mountain bike, with fit to match. A trick enabled by the disc brakes. They even did a full suspension version a long time ago.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-31-21 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 03:40 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I don't know why that fork has always bothered me. Guess just not symmetrical. And I ride a bike without a down tube.
Plus after watching Tour Divide docu years ago and Matthew Lee? Had to get his single leg fork replaced mid-race didn't help on my opinion even tho may have been a fluke.

Old 02-01-21, 06:48 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I don't know the overall history of the Bad Boy but it's always existed alongside the regular hybrid bikes. The difference is that it's basically a 700c road tire version of a 26" XC mountain bike, with fit to match. A trick enabled by the disc brakes. They even did a full suspension version a long time ago.

The Bad Boys are 650B, and, they have very similar geometry to the CAAD-3/4 XC bikes, which is not a bad thing. It’s a bike that likes to be ridden fast and aggressively, and doesn’t mind being hucked over a curb at speed.

I use an updated ‘97 F-1000 on slicks as a commuter, and the Bad Boy is a really close match.
Old 02-01-21, 02:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Potentially to be different or just to avoid a patent. I am not a lefty fan and for a commuter bike like it even less. Commuter bikes should be good quality and have easily replaced parts proprietary stuff is not a helpful thing on your commuter bike especially if you are like many who couldn't live without their bike and freak out when they have to get it serviced but also refuse to get a second back up bike and cannot fathom any other way to get to work even in a place with many options. The Lefty forks look cool I guess but when they decide to change things you could be left sans bearings which could be bad.

As far as these experts I am sure they are Cannondalians or just random online reviewers. I work in a shop and have for years, I love and study bikes in spare time as well though I don't call myself an expert as I don't feel the need for that title as I am always still learning and trying to hone my craft. It is not a bad bike it does have parts on it that are great for a commuter and some parts that are quite questionable. Personally it looks like it could be a fun-ish bike to ride but wouldn't want it for the daily commute.
Old 02-01-21, 02:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Supposedly a one-legged 'fork' would be lighter, but in practice you have to built it and the hub a lot stouter in order to resist the torsion of a one-sided wheel. I can't believe there's much savings, meaning it's mostly just different and with proprietary parts.

A one-legged 'fork' (are they still called forks with only one leg?) also has less air resistance, whatever that means at mountain bike speeds.