Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do cable locks still exist?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do cable locks still exist?

Old 05-25-20, 09:02 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
There is a simple auxiliary device that immensely improves the security of a cable lock: just clip your leashed doberman to the loop in the cable.
Old 05-25-20, 09:18 AM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
>>> further to your padlock ... i keep a ... lock cable looped to my seat > its light small extra convenient & can wrap to parking meters bike racks & street signs ... i ride fix/ss in urban & i use this for convenience and only to stop bike snatchers > i consider it a "back up lock" that can also secure my back pack if needed
I am saddened to discover what crosses the line in this regard.

Last edited by JustinOldPhart; 05-25-20 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 09:36 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinOldPhart
>>> further to your padlock ... i keep a smith & wesson gun stuffed in my shorts> its light small extra convenient & can pistol-whip thieves ... i use this for convenience and only to shoot at bike snatchers > i consider it a "back up gat" that can also secure my back pack if needed
#always outnumbered NEVER OUTRUNNED
Old 05-25-20, 10:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
>>> further to your padlock ... i keep a smith & wesson gun stuffed in my shorts> its light small extra convenient & can pistol-whip thieves ... i use this for convenience and only to shoot at bike snatchers > i consider it a "back up gat" that can also secure my back pack if needed
I hope you delete this so the mods don’t have to.
Old 05-25-20, 10:36 AM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
Ya know, indy, if things are that constrained on what is obviously a bit of humour, they can delete it and ban me. If that is taken as a serious threat to society, they can delete it and ban me. If we have slid so far into PC that what I paraphrased is considered offensive, they can delete it and ban me. If the zeal for censure is so strong, they can delete it and ban me.
Likes For JustinOldPhart:
Old 05-25-20, 10:44 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I want to carry something small and light when I tour, not 4 pounds of u lock.
Old 05-25-20, 11:15 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
So, there so many YouTube videos that can be easily cut a cable lock with a bolt cutter or cable cutter. Many cyclists and even police don’t recommend using a cable lock to lock your bike. Why the local bike shops are still selling cable locks?
Cost/benefit.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-25-20, 12:01 PM
HBxRider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many people have bikes that are worth less than $100. People like us who have bikes that are worth over $500 are a small minority.
Old 05-25-20, 12:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
I've used nothing but a cable lock for more than 40 years, in fact the same cable and lock that long, which means no one has ever stolen my bike. Of course I don't live in NY City, but if I did live there I surely wouldn't lock up a nice bike, I would take a $200 or so used bike and lock it up instead because any lock, no matter what you paid for it, can be broken within 30 seconds, which makes all locks these days not that much better than my stupid cable lock!

So your best defense against getting a bike stolen is simply getting a beater bike and lock it up outside.
For decades I had a cable lock and padlock that just went around my waist twice with enough slack to be completely unnoticeable riding. Very, very convenient! I loved that it could lock frame and both wheels to a tree. Combined with a fix gear beater bike that no one wanted, easy and secure. (The '90s changed that a little. Fix gears became popular. Still, mine with fenders, rack and brakes was pretty far off the radar, Before that I almost wanted to watch the bike get stolen just to watch the thief try to ride it.)

I also liked locking to trees because that was far from other bikes and nobody was going to be near it except to unlock it or steal it. Ie, might be more of an attention magnet than simply another person at the bike rack. Also no rack or other bikes to make the boltcutters less noticeable.

Ben

And yes, to not have your bike get stolen, park it next to a more desirable one. The old bear attack secret, You don't have to be able to run faster than the bear, just your companion.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-25-20, 02:23 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Ya know, indy, if things are that constrained on what is obviously a bit of humour, they can delete it and ban me. If that is taken as a serious threat to society, they can delete it and ban me. If we have slid so far into PC that what I paraphrased is considered offensive, they can delete it and ban me. If the zeal for censure is so strong, they can delete it and ban me.
Bringing g...u...n talk into a thread is against the posted rules of these forums and usually gets the thread closed since the moderators don't have th inclination or time to monitor all the posts made in all the threads.

If people don't want to follow the rules of the forums then why to they join?

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-25-20, 04:05 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Bringing g...u...n talk into a thread is against the posted rules of these forums and usually gets the thread closed since the moderators don't have th inclination or time to monitor all the posts made in all the threads.

If people don't want to follow the rules of the forums then why to they join?

Cheers
he didn't!!

he brought a Cable Lock into the conversation of a Cable Lock thread.

here is a picture

picture of what he is talking about.... Different brand but SAME THING!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 05-25-20, 04:18 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

so did i sin for talking about a small unobtrusive CABLE LOCK or did i sin for making the guy troll my idiotic lock or did the guy who trolled my idiotic CABLE LOCK sin because if you ride bikes you can't sin and get away with it
Old 05-25-20, 04:20 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
so did i sin for talking about a small unobtrusive CABLE LOCK or did i sin for making the guy troll my idiotic lock or did the guy who trolled my idiotic CABLE LOCK sin because if you ride bikes you can't sin and get away with it
the "sin" was "ignorance"

they say you can't fix stupid, but maybe Pictures is a good start?
Old 05-25-20, 04:31 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

i apologize to all the straight shooters that i offended and i promise not to create any more low caliber problems for Jus___________t & i promise i will never use the words "S_____ & W_____ " in the general cycling forum > mea culpa mea culpa mea culpa
Old 05-25-20, 05:50 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
I use one for convenience. When I'm out for a road ride i have one in case i stop at the local coffee or ice cream shop and it isn't out of sight for more than a moment. It stops the 'roll away' theft. If someone is carrying bolt cutters, they're probably carrying an angle grinder and going to get it one way other the other.

I'll sometimes carry the U-lock on the mountain bike, but honestly there's no point where i am. I don't commute by bike and my rides either begin and end at my house or at my car.
Old 05-25-20, 07:42 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Reverse osychology.

u lock signal to bad guys dat yur bike is worth steeling.

a low key bike...keeping it low key with small cable lock.
Old 05-25-20, 09:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Reverse osychology.

u lock signal to bad guys dat yur bike is worth steeling.

a low key bike...keeping it low key with small cable lock.
You should try that, it is really good advice, I am not being sarcastic at all. You really should use the smallest cable lock it is the best idea ever made in the entire world that anyone has ever come up with in all of the time humans have existed. When you buy your next bike you should make sure to leave it outside overnight with a tiny cable lock to show those stupid thieves your bikes are super low key and they will walk away from them saying "wow...that guy must be super low key, I should find the most secure lock and take that bike, stealing that bike isn't worth it"
Old 05-25-20, 10:10 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
When I lived in Columbus, IN, I could leave my bike outside unlocked at work without concern. One snowy day I even left it overnight unlocked. Of course it was there in the morning.

Now I live in Portland, OR. Different story.

The US is not a homogeneous bike theft zone.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-26-20, 07:23 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
A professional thief can steal your bike regardless of the lock. The average thief doesn't walk around with bolt cutters so a cable lock works most of the time (e.g. 5 minutes for a quick run into a store).
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 05-26-20, 07:34 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Bike thieves caught on video:
Old 05-26-20, 07:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
For snatch n'ride (as you phrase it), wouldn't a simple padlock put around say the rim of your wheel, accomplish the same thing, yet be much more un-snippable?
Yes but that leaves you open to "snatch and throw in back of pickup." I prefer it's locked to something immovable.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-20, 07:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

No one said you did anything wrong. The guy who rewrote your post definitely violated forum rules.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-20, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Metieval
he didn't!!

he brought a Cable Lock into the conversation of a Cable Lock thread.

here is a picture

picture of what he is talking about.... Different brand but SAME THING!

Wrong guy. No one complained about the gun lock reference. Another guy rewrote the post to actually talk about something that wasn't a lock.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-20, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bikehoco
Bike thieves caught on video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-gV8ICIcao
Obviously staged. If you're really attempting to get away quick, no way would you ride on grass when there's pavement. Dead giveaway that they wanted the soft landing.
Old 05-26-20, 08:51 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
A cable is also a good way to secure you bike on your car rack. I loop mine around the frame, and lock it to the hitch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.