Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 11:47 AM
dwg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have another Bianchi to add to the serial number database. I recently purchased what the original owner told me is a 1985 Campione. The serial number is located on the underside of the BB and appears to be 1006. I've tried to attach a picture but have been unable to do so (if anyone can enlighten me on how to do so, I'll post pictures). The bike has been repainted and the Bianchi graphics are not correct. I’m told the tubeset is Columbus SL.

Distinguishing features of the frame/fork include: stamped Bs inside a circle at the tops of the seat stay, a stamped B on the topside of the lower headset lug, chromed chainstay on the drive side, stamped Bianchi on the fork crown, what appears to be chromed fork tips, two large slotted cutouts on the underside of the BB and a smaller one toward the end of the BB lug where it joins the downtube. The seatpost size is not marked. I measured it as just under 27.2, but I’m not sure of the accuracy of my calipers - it could be 27.0.

According to the prior owner, the bike is mostly original. He replaced the original Modolo Equipe brake calipers and levers and possibly the rims (they are Mavic green-label MA-40s). The driver train is Super Record and the headset, hubs, and seatpost are Campy. The BB is Phil Wood which the original owner had installed as an upgrade when he bought the bike. Stem is a TTT with a blue Bianchi stamped on he side and a blue B on the front. Bars are Cinelli 64-40.

The bike is in fairly rough condition. I’m planning on a restoration and am looking to gather any information I can about the bike, and in particular to confirm the year, model and original equipment. Also, if anyone has a picture of the model name from an 85 Bianchi, I'd love to se it. I'd like to reproduce the Campione decal but I haven't been able to find a sample of the script on the Internet. Any assistance anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by dwg; 03-22-10 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 11:57 AM
dwg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Photos

Finally got the "go advanced" function to work. Here are some photos of the 85 Campione. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1378.jpg (102.2 KB, 427 views)
IMG_1379.jpg (100.4 KB, 397 views)
IMG_1390.jpg (99.7 KB, 417 views)
IMG_1389.jpg (105.7 KB, 401 views)
IMG_1385.jpg (101.8 KB, 400 views)
Old 03-22-10, 06:24 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
that was repainted? (a retorical question the painter actually applied a Columbus "repaint" decal) it is in rough shape looks like it was used either for cross or a trianer. the decals look like they are from the early '90s. if it is a '85 Campione it is not SL. all the 85 upper end bikes except the Centenario are Columbus Special, Tretubi, or Alle combinations.

for what it is worth the 85 Campione was specced with the afore mentioned Equipe brakes, TTT bar/stem, Super Record crank with N.R. rings and G.S. BB, Victory- pedals, seatpost, and hubs, N.R. derailleurs. the orginal rims were Mavic GP4

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-22-10, 07:22 PM
dwg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the specs. Much appreciated. Also, you're right, the bike was used as a cross bike.

Last edited by dwg; 03-22-10 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 01:24 PM
jpw77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought this vintage Bianchi road bike and was trying to find out more about it. The serial number is ES426771. It has Shimano 105 rear derailleur and shifters, a Suntour Arx front derailleur, and a Sakae crank. I'm guessing from what's been posted above that it is maybe from 1984 and made in Japan. Any other insight anyone might have would be very much appreciated!
Attached Images
BIANCHI 002..jpg (101.7 KB, 390 views)
BIANCHI 001..jpg (100.1 KB, 406 views)
Old 04-08-10, 01:41 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hello jpw77 welcome to the forums. nice looking Bianchi, I almost think I saw that somewhere this moring CL maybe? the decals especially that Piaggio one look like '84ish. I wish I was at home I could look it up. it seems someone upgraded the RD and shifters to get indexing.

I haven't seen Tmar recently but I bet he knows more.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-09-10, 11:36 AM
princip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey After riding my 1940's Rudge to commute for the last year. I decided to get myself something a bit faster
So I just bought myself a Bianchi Sprint
Some photos here
The only writing on the bike says Calibrati 1-20 on the frame, Simplex S001 on the rear derailleur, Ofmega on crankset and Ambrosio Extra 19 700c wheels.
I've found a number on the head tube which I'm guessing is the serial.
It reads 757049. Any ideas as to the age?
A rough price would also be welcome.
Thanks

Last edited by princip; 04-09-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 09:03 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hi princip welcome to the forums. I am no expert on European Bianchis but this looks to be a lower to midlevel model from the mid '80s maybe? the wheels look like they may have been rebuilt or replaced in the later '80s. I know in the US those Ambrosio rims were a cheap alternate to the pricy Campi and Mavic rims. what is up with the pedals? are they broken or some weird 'clipless' system?

as for a rough price? if you just bought it that is the price. the value of bike is determined alot by the market it is in and the season. here in So Jersey that bike in clean rideable condition might fetch $200 in late may but would have a hard time selling for $100 in November.

I do not think it is a rare or highly sought after model. it is likely something like a Sport SS here in the states.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-12-10, 04:01 PM
princip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bianchigirll
thanks for your comments, it's confirmed what I had already guessed.
Yeah the pedals are wierd and infact unridable, so I just bought some new ones.
I have not had the chance to even ride this bike yet! still waiting for new tires and pedals to arrive from ebay.
Anybody have any catalogues from the late 80's?
Old 04-13-10, 07:25 PM
vladvm

Bikes: Bianchi, Specialized, Raleigh

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I finally got the serial number of my Bianchi Alfana. Full 105 groupo, made in japan. LS078510
Old 04-14-10, 06:29 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

" Anybody have any catalogues from the late 80's? "

but you need atleast the European catalogs and perhaps a UK specific catalog.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-14-10, 07:46 AM
jamesmoan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I recently bought a supposed 80's Bianchi, but its been stripped of all decals and paint. I have a frame number and wondered if you could help me confirm it as a Bianchi and possibly find out what model it is. The frame number (on the steering column) is 766425 and the components are Shimano 105, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-10, 07:52 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hello jamesmoan, welcome to the forums. I have not seen him in awhile but we may have to wait on Tmar for this one. Bianchi does not have alot of rhyme and reason to their serial numbers. to me on the steering colum (headtube?) would mean early '80s but if the components are 105 they may have been added later.
not that it will do much good but do you have any pics?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-14-10, 08:45 AM
jamesmoan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pics to help my cause.

Old 04-14-10, 09:15 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

is there a 'B' on the DT/HT lug or Bianchi or something on the ST caps or forkcrown? again to me the 105 kit (esp index) and serial # on the headtube do not match up. also the wheels are certainly a later addition. do you think the black was the orginal paint? the person you got it from has no idea?

if the black and the parts are orginal than it may be an '85/86 brava.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-14-10, 10:02 AM
jamesmoan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are no letters or 'Bianchi' on any of the lugs or anywhere else.
I think the black paint is a newer addition, possibly to prevent wear/rust at the joints/lugs?
Old 04-14-10, 07:20 PM
jamesmoan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone any ideas?
Old 04-16-10, 02:14 PM
darkmagus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought this Bianchi Limited yesterday for a friend of mine. It's brown with a metallic flake in the paint. The photos are pre-cleanup. The guy I got it from purchased it from an estate sale and he said it hadn't been out of storage since the late '80s. There was still a Seattle ferry schedule in the bag from '88. It's in near mint condition and from the looks of it, ridden very little. Still has the Bianchi branded tire up front which looks brand new. I also noticed that where the pump had rubbed the frame there appears to be Celeste green underneath the brown...odd. It came with a working Silca Impero pump, Bluemel's Lightweight fenders, handlebar bag, seat bag, and some misc tools. I think I did pretty good for $155. Watch for a post soon in the Before & After thread.

I'm pretty sure it's an '81 because all the components date from around Oct '80 - June '81. All components appear to be original.
Also the tubing sticker says Bianchi CrMo Tubi _ _ nforzati. The first couple of letters are faded but I'm thinking it said Tubi Rinforzati. Is that the Bianchi designated Columbus tubing or Tange? (EDIT: Just pulled the fork and the steerer is stamped Ishiwata)

Serial # DS17374

Shimano forged rear dropouts with adjuster screws - date code EJ (Oct 1980)
Shimano forged front dropouts - date code FA (Jan 1981)
SunTour Cyclone GT RD - Date code XC (March 1981)
SunTour Vx FD - Date code XF (June 1981)
DiaCompe calipers - Date code 1180
DiaCompe levers - Date code 0181 for the lever part, 1280 for the hood section
SR cranks - Date code 80L (Dec 1980)
SR handlebars - Date code E81 (May 1981)
SR seatpost - Date code C81 (March 1981)
Ariake Jaguar II Champion saddle (81 & 4 stamped underneath)
SR Royal stem
SR pedals
Tange headset
Tange bottom bracket - Date code 81F (June 1981?)
Araya 700c rims laced to Suzue hubs

Last edited by darkmagus; 04-16-10 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 04:36 PM
luke_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please help identify my Bianchi

Could you help identify the year and model of my Bianchi? The previous owner had it set up as a track bike. I quickly converted it back to a road bike but unfortunately this means that only the frame can be used reliably to identify the original bike.

I know it doesn't qualify as vintage (maybe classic?) but I was at a loss for where else to post this.

Details and picture to follow. Thanks kindly in advance.

SN (near bottom bracket) = 91513
Frame material = Titanium
Frame Decals = "Made in Italy", "Reparto Corse", "Titanium"
Headset quill (or the part the stem connects to if I got the term wrong) = 1"
Fork = "Bianchi Carbon Engineered"
Wheelset (original) = Bianchi Elevation (Made in Italy, designed by Ambrosio)
Attached Images
IMG_1695..jpg (99.2 KB, 417 views)
Old 04-19-10, 05:12 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

OH this is simply fabulous!! this is on my 'grail bike/frame' list.

what you have is a '95/'96/'97 Ti Megatube. the frame came on the 110 Anniversary bike in'95 but as a bike, (and I think frame only) in '96/'97. the first two years was Columbus Ti tubing but later switched to another manufacturer.

some hipster tore this one up, then swore it was a 59 but it turns out to be a 57
Attached Images
SANY0082.jpg (94.2 KB, 408 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 04-19-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 05:24 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by jamesmoan
anyone any ideas?
Sorry James, I just have no idea. once decals and paint are removed from a frame there is no way to identify it. if it had a B on the HT/DT lug or something on the stay caps that would help. the chrome under the paint hints at an ''80s higherend but it would have embellishments.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-19-10, 05:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by darkmagus

I am not sure how I missed this post but that is a beautiful dark copper metallic Limited

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-19-10, 06:10 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesmoan
anyone any ideas?
How about some close-up pics of the lugs, seat tube cluster, underside of the bottom bracket, rear dropouts, front fork ends and fork crown. Are the dropouts stamped with a name?

stan
Old 04-21-10, 10:50 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm back ... here is a Bianchi frame I may buy later today (for no good reason other than it's my size and mee likey).

Any clues as to its age, and what it might be? The rear dropouts appear to be stamped. The downtube decal appears to be red letters with white outline.

Old 04-21-10, 01:14 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hi I think it is a '70sish but other than that I am not sure. where is Tmar?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.