Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Why am I getting weaker?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Why am I getting weaker?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 09:32 AM
Nicholas L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why am I getting weaker?

I got a stationary bike before winter and it's been great. I've been able to stay in shape, and for a while, I could feel myself getting stronger. However over the past month now, it seems like my strength and endurance have been getting worse. I had to lower the resistance, and I fatigue quicker. Right now, I'm blaming myself for just being lazy, but is it possible that I may be overtraining? I do 40 minutes medium to high intensity every night, six days in a row, Monday through Saturday. Sunday is my rest day. I know a lot of people train way more than that though...
I eat a moderately healthy and balanced diet, so I don't think it would have to do with nutrition.
Old 04-10-18, 09:47 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Take an easy week.

You take an easy day once per week. Same idea but take an easy week once per month.

Exercise does not need to stop. Just reduce volume, intensity and duration. Exercise tears down the body. We get stronger during recovery. Give the body a chance to recover.

-Tim-
Old 04-10-18, 10:52 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm going to go with what Tim said as well. You could be over training. Need to give your body a chance to recover a bit.
Old 04-10-18, 11:22 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Overtraining? Maybe. Take a day off or two and see if you feel any better.

Also, you might try varying your workouts. From your description, it sounds like you're doing more or less the same medium-hard thing every night. If that's the case, you're probably not stressing your system enough to elicit much of a training response nor are you recovering enough. As a result, you plateau and just feel fatigued.
Old 04-10-18, 01:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It's really hard to say, over the internet. It's also hard to say from where you're standing, otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

I don't have much to answer your question, it sounds like @caloso is on the right track, but who knows?

There are a number of tricks people use to try and figure out what you're asking. People watch their resting heart rate, use a chest strap and an app to look at HRV, do orthostatic tests, etc. I don't know if any of this could be of value to you, but my suggestion is to look into it.
Old 04-10-18, 03:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Do some lower intensity instead of just doing medium-high all the time. Limit your high intensity efforts to no more than 2 times per week...If you doing it 6 days per week, try doing 3 low intensity days, one medium intensity day and two high intensity days.
Old 04-11-18, 10:23 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,403 Posts
Yeah, you've cooked yourself. After you recover, remember what that felt like and take some easy days as soon as you feel weak on the bike. And do what Caloso says.
Old 04-11-18, 07:47 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Overtraining? Maybe. Take a day off or two and see if you feel any better.

Also, you might try varying your workouts. From your description, it sounds like you're doing more or less the same medium-hard thing every night. If that's the case, you're probably not stressing your system enough to elicit much of a training response nor are you recovering enough. As a result, you plateau and just feel fatigued.
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, you've cooked yourself. After you recover, remember what that felt like and take some easy days as soon as you feel weak on the bike. And do what Caloso says.
Old 04-11-18, 09:46 PM
Nicholas L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm going to try giving myself a break and take it easy for a day or two. I'm also going to change up my workouts and see if that helps.
Old 04-11-18, 10:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,564 Times in 3,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicholas L
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm going to try giving myself a break and take it easy for a day or two. I'm also going to change up my workouts and see if that helps.
I ride 4-5 times a week on average. I day off will make you recover and ride better the next day. Just my opinion and at 50 years of age it makes sense. I can ride multiple days in a row like on the Katy with no problem. With proper refueling 100 miles is not all that difficult. You will be fine just recover.
Old 04-12-18, 11:14 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
How much protein are you eating per day? That's a lot of training.

Personally I'm consuming about 220 g per day and weigh 180#. I am rarely sore, and think the high protein intake is a big contributor.
Old 04-12-18, 05:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Two reasons:

1) diet
2) sleep/rest

Over training, much less likely.
Old 04-14-18, 04:21 PM
Nicholas L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
How much protein are you eating per day? That's a lot of training.

Personally I'm consuming about 220 g per day and weigh 180#. I am rarely sore, and think the high protein intake is a big contributor.
Gezz, 220g. I never really put much thought into how much protein I eat. Probably no more than 100g, likely much less. Maybe I should try focusing a little more on that.

So much for a "balanced diet."
Old 04-16-18, 09:40 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
High protein doesn't necessarily mean hamburgers and steaks.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-16-18, 10:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
What about a bicycle?

I get bored pretty quickly with exercise equipment. So, perhaps lack of motivation could also play a role.
Old 04-16-18, 10:32 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,564 Times in 3,056 Posts
Long term training will have days you feel weak. It will pass just keep on riding.
Old 04-16-18, 11:53 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got a stationary bike before winter and it's been great. I've been able to stay in shape, and for a while, I could feel myself getting stronger. However over the past month now, it seems like my strength and endurance have been getting worse. I had to lower the resistance, and I fatigue quicker. Right now, I'm blaming myself for just being lazy, but is it possible that I may be overtraining? I do 40 minutes medium to high intensity every night, six days in a row, Monday through Saturday. Sunday is my rest day. I know a lot of people train way more than that though...
I eat a moderately healthy and balanced diet, so I don't think it would have to do with nutrition.

Obviously.

You just falling in "more is better" loophole.

Start -> more more more -> getting better! -> getting stronger! -> more more more -> somehow, still feels stronger! -> moarrr! -> er... why the heck I do this? -> what the point? -> er.... tomorrow.... rides again... -> (that day) er maybe just this should be enough -> okay, its alright not to ride today, just this time -> er....... -> er....... -> er...........

Overtrain is rare, we mortal can't get that condition so easily but the way you do more and more, you will get fatigue overtime and eventually, stop, break and feel tired.

Its marathon game, you do it for the rest of your whole life or you just do it for specific timeframe (Race coming up etc.)
Old 04-17-18, 01:18 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Gezz, 220g. I never really put much thought into how much protein I eat. Probably no more than 100g, likely much less. Maybe I should try focusing a little more on that.

So much for a "balanced diet."
The latest research indicate that positive protein synthesis can occur even with a much lower protein intake. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 gm/lb body weight. I started experimenting and have gone as low as .6 gm/lb and still made progress.
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Long term training will have days you feel weak. It will pass just keep on riding.
I suspect the body dealing with some infection. Sometimes the weakness is the only symptom of a mild cold.
Old 04-17-18, 08:02 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
There are two types of overtraining - chronic and acute.

Acute overtraining is when you feel weak, irritable, can't get your heart rate up during exercise or maybe it just skyrockets for no reason. The regular exercise routine becomes difficult and performance falls off. The solution is to reduce volume, duration and intensity for a week and recover, that's all.

Chronic overtraining is indeed rare - women stop menstruating, bone loss, liver damage, etc. This requires medical intervention and cessation of intense training.

We are talking about acute overtraining here and what the OP describes is classic - he says he has had reduced performance for a month. This isn't just a bad day. "Just keep on riding" is bad advice and can lead to illness or injury. The OP simply needs an easy week, that's all.

-Tim-

-Tim-