Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Edge 520 plus keeps “finding” paired sensors

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 06:11 PM
Stracknasty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

recently purchased an Edge 520 plus. Aside from wonky speed readings (indicating wildly inaccurate speeds 40 or 50kph faster than actual) IT KEEPS “FINDING” MY ALREADY PAIRED SENSORS (power meter, HR, speed). It does this when the bike isn’t moving. It just keeps beeping with a message that “8025 found” or whatnot. I reset the device to factory settings. It still does this. I searched the Garmin forums and found a similar issue but no resolution.

Super disappointing. The unit is less than a month old. I’m a ride or two away from returning it.

Any suggestions?

thanks.
Old 08-24-19, 06:29 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Did you reach out to Garmin CS? Seems like they might to do some repairs inhouse unfortunately.
Old 08-24-19, 06:32 PM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not yet. I kept trying to get someone on chat but there were no agents available. I’ll send an email shortly. Thought I’d see if anyone here had similar issues.
Old 08-24-19, 07:38 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Sorry, if you got a bad unit...its unfortunately probably not a easy/cheat fix. Its a giant pain. They aren't the fastest. But they will take care of you. I am a Garmin fan but they could do some improving in that dept.
Old 08-24-19, 09:13 PM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cheers, thanks. Luckily the place I purchased it from has a no hassle return / exchange policy so I might just bring it back. My ancient Edge 500 worked just fine with my sensors! Kind of regret selling it.
Old 08-25-19, 06:19 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Stracknasty
Cheers, thanks. Luckily the place I purchased it from has a no hassle return / exchange policy so I might just bring it back. My ancient Edge 500 worked just fine with my sensors! Kind of regret selling it.
Instead of doing the whole factory re-set, re-pair, etc.... with a unit that might just be defective, I'd return and buy another unit. I just did this with a 1030, had 3 weeks of headaches with TBT and BT pairing. When it did it's own uncommanded factory boot one morning on a remote ride that I NEEDED navigation, leaving me clueless, I returned the unit. This after numerous e-mail exchanges with Garmin that were useless. The 2nd unit (from a local shop) is working just fine, none if the issues of the first and my attitude was if I now have to do a complete configuration on a known flaky unit, might as well do it on a unit that might not be defective.
Old 08-28-19, 11:52 AM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Small update if anyone's interested. I managed to get some customer support from Garmin. They'd never heard of this issue, and the person helping me didn't have any real answers other than to try and re-pair the sensors one by one. That, and to turn off the autopause functionality. After a long back and forth it was clear that this issue wasn't going to be resolved. It's entirely possible that I haven't fully paired the sensors, but I don't understand how that can be if they're otherwise broadcasting data which is being recieved and recorded by the head unit. I've yet to have an opportunity to take the Edge out for a spin, having reset the damn thing and rebuilt my data pages a half dozen times. So not really a great update. I'll be returning it if the issue persists past this. Way too much of a hassle. Wahoo is calling my name...
Likes For Stracknasty:
Old 08-28-19, 12:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Garmin tech. support will state “they’ve never heard of this before” yet if they read their own users forum they would see the problem is all over the forum.

I’ve given up on them and finally concluded a 1030 was simply defective and returned it. I then went to my LBS and purchased a replacement, which works fine with none of the issues of the first. Thus I’d recommend you just give up, return and replace or get a Wahoo.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-28-19, 03:20 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

wahoo has their issues as well......

a company producing as many units as garmin/wahoo is bound to have some bad units out there. Return and get a new one.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 08-28-19, 06:30 PM
Steve B.

One trick to using paired sensors is to name them. That helps to track down what’s causing an issue. Trying to remember the sensor ID doesn’t help
Old 08-28-19, 06:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Garmin is flat out lying to you. I have a Garmin 520 Plus and it does the exact same thing. Now mind you, it doesn’t do it all the time. Some rides the darned thing just purrs along, other rides I get the annoying beep and message.

Don’t let Garmin lie to you. If the store that you bought it from has a good return/exchange polocy, then do that and get another unit.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-19, 06:53 PM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Garmin is flat out lying to you. I have a Garmin 520 Plus and it does the exact same thing. Now mind you, it doesn’t do it all the time. Some rides the darned thing just purrs along, other rides I get the annoying beep and message.

Don’t let Garmin lie to you. If the store that you bought it from has a good return/exchange polocy, then do that and get another unit.

Good luck.

No way. I went on my first ride with it today in a bit and it seemed...ok? I appreciate you letting me know I’m not nuts here. Cos the Garmin customer support guy just made me feel like I was out in left field.
Old 10-01-19, 02:11 PM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, if anyone's interested, I returned the Garmin Edge 520 Plus. After several rides with more of the same, the dealbreaker for me was a few days ago. I created a route on Strava (about 115km), synced it with Garmin Connect so that the route would be accessible on my device. Unbelievably, the Garmin navigated me to a random point that was not on the route I created, about 12km from my starting point—there was a pin on the map with the title of my ride above it. I followed the directions, knowing that something was weird, and once I reached the pin my Garmin seemed to think the ride was done. That was it for me; I returned it the next day and bought a Wahoo.