Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Where can I get replacement springs for my Cannondale Panniers?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-31-19, 01:44 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts

I need to replace the springs on my front panniers. These ones are over 30 years old and very well worn. Any ideas on where to get replacements? I live in Canada, if that helps for any stores.
Old 08-31-19, 03:02 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
A good hardware store? Or maybe Google "extension springs", click the shopping tab, you will probably find something similar that way. Might be a lot to wade through and tough to find a good match though.

You might also consider quality shock cord. It comes in a variety of sizes and strengths. A good marina or boat supply place will sell it by the foot and sell custom end fittings.
Old 08-31-19, 10:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
You might also consider quality shock cord. It comes in a variety of sizes and strengths. A good marina or boat supply place will sell it by the foot and sell custom end fittings.
I suspect this is the best route, you might even be able to buy replacement kits from arkel , which generally use top quality materials, but doing it on your own may be cheaper--- key thing would be as stae says, getting good quality stuff.
Old 09-01-19, 04:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I suspect this is the best route, you might even be able to buy replacement kits from arkel , which generally use top quality materials, but doing it on your own may be cheaper--- key thing would be as stae says, getting good quality stuff.
I will pipe up again to stress that there is a wide range of quality in this stuff ranging from really poor to excellent. The best stuff I have used I bought from the marina where I kept my sailboat back when I lived in Maryland. It was a far cry from the typical bungee cords you find in most stores and they had a variety of different end fittings for it.

I see that West Marine has shock cord by the foot by online order, not sure how it compares quality wise. They seem to have a limited number end fittings though.

Googling "shock cord" and "shock cord ends" and selecting the "shopping tab" will bring up quite a few online sources.
Old 09-01-19, 02:55 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
A good hardware store? Or maybe Google "extension springs", click the shopping tab, you will probably find something similar that way. Might be a lot to wade through and tough to find a good match though.

Rainshed was a good source of quality material, including shock cord, and fittings. However, I went by there Friday and they are closing the shop. The owner is retiring and selling the business. They might still be taking mail orders until it sells. I was actually getting some shock cord for another project. https://www.therainshed.com/shop/Fabrics.htm

I replaced the flimsy attachment on these panniers a few years ago using the type of shock cord steahpjl is recommending, and it worked well. I used 1/4 inch diameter. IMO it will do a better job than the spring setup you have now.

Hog rings can be used for a permanent application.

Or just a knot that works just as well but is easier to adjust.

High quality shock cord has more elasticity than cheap shock cord. I've used two 3/16 inch shock cords to hold my rack pack to the rear rack for over a dozen years without any problems. The hooks and cord were purchased from Rainshed. Since this picture was taken I've upgraded to 1/4" on the rear rack.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-01-19 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 08:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I need to replace the springs on my front panniers. These ones are over 30 years old and very well worn. Any ideas on where to get replacements? I live in Canada, if that helps for any stores.

Look for “screen door springs” at your local hardware store. That’s all those are.

On the other hand, you could convert them to bungee cord or look into a far better mounting system like the Ortlieb QL1 system. You might have to get clever in how to attach the hardware but it’s a lot better system. The conversion would be less than $40 US.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-07-19, 11:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Different racks will require a different length of spring, so the hardware store springs may or may not be ideal depending on the rack. Thus, the shock cord option might be best because you can easily install it to the exact length you want.

Kayak shops often sell good quality shock cord in 1/4 or 5/6 inch by the foot because sea kayaks usually use shock cord to keep spare paddles, pumps, tow ropes, water bottles, coiled up painter lines, radios, maps, etc., strapped down to the deck. And kayaks get a lot of UV so the shock cord they sell should hold up well in the sun.

I took the above photo after I replaced all of the old shock cord on the boat. I find that the fabric sheathing on the cut ends on shock cord does not melt very good when I tried to melt it to keep it from fraying, Thus, I use a solvent based glue like Seam Grip or Shoe Goo on the shock cord ends after I cut it to glue the end together. Then let it dry a few hours before I do anything else with it.

Old 09-07-19, 01:34 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Another treatment for securing the ends of shock cord is to use heat shrink electrical insulation. It was used on the shock cord in the pictures I posted earlier.
Old 09-07-19, 03:08 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Is the reason you want to replace those springs because they have stretched and opened at the ends? I'd just cut off the section that stretch then use a decent pair of side-cutters to squeeze between a couple of the loops in the spring and then without actually cutting into the spring twist those two loops so that they are 90 degrees to the rest of the spring. It's what you'd have to do to each end of a door spring if you bought new door springs anyway. Also, I put a brass S-hook onto each of the springs on my two panniers I put door springs onto. I hook the S-hook to the rack leg.

If you need help let me know and I'll take images of the method I use to make the springs fit my pannier and will post those images for you.

Cheers