Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Skunk or cat?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Skunk or cat?

Old 08-28-19, 05:54 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Skunk or cat?

That's the question. 🤔 So I rode back down the 12-mile hill from Golden Valley into Bullhead City again, and I'm sleeping (?) outdoors. It hit 115*F here today, so still pretty warm overnight.
Anyways, I'm sleeping on top of my sleeping bag, with no shirt, and something woke me up 3 times. It kept rubbing against my lower back, lol, right where you're kinda ticklish. 😲😁 The thing is, I never got a decent look at it, it was too dark, but I could see a good-sized patch of white, with lots of black. I tend to think a cat would stick around to get petted, but it could be feral & not used to people. 🤔 That's kind of hoping & being open-minded, but the only other likely critter, would be that possible skunk. Have I been cuddled by a skunk? 🤭🤔😲😁

BTW, even an idjit like me, learns after three tries, that something's amiss. 😉 I'm sitting up now, thinking about a coffee run. 😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 08-28-19, 06:32 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I am betting on it being a skunk. They aren't very shy and wander through camps pretty often. They are very docile and not aggressive unless they feel threatened. No sudden motions and generally care to avoid frightening them is a good idea, but otherwise they generally aren't a problem unless you have a dog with you or something. At least that has been my experience. All that said, Ive never had one brush against me when cowboy camping. That would probably unnerve me too.
Old 08-28-19, 07:05 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Sounds like a skunk. My dog had an encounter with one while at the cottage this summer. He only got sprayed a wee bit on his ear so we brought him inside for the night with the intention of getting something to clean him with the next morning (Diet Pepsi is what was once recommended by a vet, and it works astonishingly well).
I was headed out to the outhouse later in the night and before I opened the screen door I saw the skunk was back. He saw me but went about his efforts to get into the garbage can. I tried talking to him and he looked back at me a few times but was completely uninterested in whatever I had to say. I raised my voice and he clumsily turned around and got ready to spray me so I closed the door and stayed inside for a bit. I just started making progressively louder noise to try not to startle him, and he eventually wandered off.

Skunks are generally not afraid of much because they don't have to be - most people and animals only need to get a whiff of fresh skunk juice once and will not mess with a skunk again.

However, they generally only come near people when there is a food source (usually garbage but they are notoriously not fussy. Make sure you store your food and any food-smelling items far away from your campsite as skunks are the least of your worries.
Old 08-28-19, 08:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
she liked you

Old 08-28-19, 08:39 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
she liked you
LOL. 😁 Concerning the food issue, I did have about 3/4 of a Safeway meatloaf, well wrapped and sitting on a nearby picnic table. But that was never molested, except by me. 😉
Old 08-28-19, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
One reason skunks wander close is that they cannot see beyond 10'. Their horrible eyesight is also believed to be the reason you see/smell so much skunk road kill.

A huge, blond one wandered through my campsite near Hyde Park, NY, a few years ago.
Old 08-28-19, 12:12 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
I’d doubt a feral cat will come near you. A previously owned stray ?, likely but then they would hang around to be fed and adopted.

Skunks are known to be friendly thus I’d bet on skunk.
Old 08-28-19, 02:36 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’d doubt a feral cat will come near you. A previously owned stray ?, likely but then they would hang around to be fed and adopted.

Skunks are known to be friendly thus I’d bet on skunk.
There's a little Mexican restaurant, right by the bridge that crosses the Colorado River into Needles, CA. The owner/cook is a really nice guy. He feeds feral cats, in the parking lot, and you can normally see several at once, wether they're eating or just hanging out. 😎
Old 08-28-19, 03:51 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
From my experience it sounds like cat-behavior vs. skunk-behavior. I've seen skunks wandering through campsites, seeming rather aimless, but never approaching humans, once they are aware of you. Longtime feral cats avoid humans, but more recently lost-or-released cats do not. Some cats may in fact seek out human attention and/or handouts.

Last edited by BigAura; 08-28-19 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 07:53 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
If it was a skunk, kudos to you for staying calm--most folks would have flipped out I reckon. Once saw a skunk nestling in underbrush next to a suburban road, it was surprisingly big esp with the mop of long hair.
Old 09-07-19, 10:31 PM
averybikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
def a skunk, yikes!
Old 09-10-19, 06:48 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I've petted some skunks--someone I know has de-smelled skunks as pets--and their fur is very coarse. Not much to go on, but coarser than stray/farm cats I've petted.