Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ironman Information Thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ironman Information Thread

Old 09-26-19, 08:54 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
If the small sample of the pictures is any indication, I would find a friend or a coop. Rear derailleur needs a little attention too. Without seeing other pictures, I think the safe assumption is all the general maintenance, consumables, bearings, need attention. Not a huge endeavor, unless you can't do it yourself. Hence, finding a friend
This is good advice.

Also I don’t think those are tubular rims. Assume new tires and tubes will be needed. I have been very happy with Continental Grand Prix. I would go with 25mm width. There are more expensive tires and maybe marginally better, but those are very good value.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e/rp-prod78421

(edit) It looks like there is a coop in Keene. Is that close?
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki..._Bicycle_Co-op

Last edited by due ruote; 09-26-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-26-19, 10:06 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
This is good advice.

Also I don’t think those are tubular rims. Assume new tires and tubes will be needed. I have been very happy with Continental Grand Prix. I would go with 25mm width. There are more expensive tires and maybe marginally better, but those are very good value.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e/rp-prod78421

(edit) It looks like there is a coop in Keene. Is that close?
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki..._Bicycle_Co-op
Keene is close! I looked up the co-op and it seems like it's more of a lending program set up for Keene State College. They rattle can all of the bikes green. (Which is really sad because I saw a nice old Miyata in the "before" pictures.)

I have a set of Panaracer Catalyst Sport tires for it and new tubes that I ordered a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-01-19, 10:02 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I just picked up an ‘87 Expert MV for a pretty decent price. It’s mostly stock but needs a couple things to bring it to fully original. I will have to decide whether to do the original thing or whether to make it more rider friendly. But I need to do a bit of cosmetic touch-up on the finish. I’ve read all the posts on this thread, and a few if you have hinted at some paint possibilities. Have any of you found some accurate color sources for the magenta/gold paint job. If there’s nothing out there, I’ll just start doing the nail polish dance until I get the right combo. Looking forward to working on this gem this winter!
Old 10-02-19, 04:15 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I just picked up an ‘87 Expert MV for a pretty decent price. It’s mostly stock but needs a couple things to bring it to fully original. I will have to decide whether to do the original thing or whether to make it more rider friendly. But I need to do a bit of cosmetic touch-up on the finish. I’ve read all the posts on this thread, and a few if you have hinted at some paint possibilities. Have any of you found some accurate color sources for the magenta/gold paint job. If there’s nothing out there, I’ll just start doing the nail polish dance until I get the right combo. Looking forward to working on this gem this winter!
Cool, pics?
Old 10-02-19, 09:09 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by ddeand
Have any of you found some accurate color sources for the magenta/gold paint job. If there’s nothing out there, I’ll just start doing the nail polish dance until I get the right combo. Looking forward to working on this gem this winter!
I went to my local auto body shop and asked them to color-match the paint on mine before I started anything. That was when I thought I'd be doing work on it.
Old 10-02-19, 04:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Do I need to replace this chain or how can I get it to better condition? And is there anything I need to do with the cassette besides cleaning it? I was planning on swapping the tires from the tubeless (at least that's what I think they are) to presta stem tubes with new tires--will that cause issues?

I believe that is no longer an issue.
Old 10-02-19, 04:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Cool, pics?
The yellow has a very good match with an aerosol spray I found at Walmart .

The fuscia remains difficult; I used nail polish, very thin x 3 coats.
Old 10-02-19, 04:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Multisync
Does anyone know what kind of carbon weave they used on the carbon bike?
Don't have any reference to be able to tell. One of the chain stays on mine has been rubbed by the (too big) chain ring, I might try my hand at fixing it, seeing as this looks like it will turn into an all winter project.
I'd just patch with resin, or wrap a carbon protector around it.
Old 10-02-19, 05:39 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I believe that is no longer an issue.
It's still an issue, but it's not going to be *my* issue... It'll be going to someone who knows vast amounts more than I.

Last edited by TriBiker19; 10-02-19 at 05:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-05-19, 02:50 PM
Namnad510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the information in this post. I have an 87 “Miami vice” Ironman and didn’t realize how many of the parts have been upgraded. I got it second hand around 1996. I’ll need to post in the valuation forum to get some help figuring out how much the parts are worth.
Likes For Namnad510:
Old 10-13-19, 11:30 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Picked up a red/white '86 (?) this weekend. Serial number begins N5M, but it's definitely an '86 bike, by the livery and build. Edit - remainder of post moved to the "Love of '80s colors" thread.

Last edited by madpogue; 10-14-19 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 06:41 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by madpogue
Picked up a red/white '86 (?) this weekend. Serial number begins N5M, but it's definitely an '86 bike, by the livery and build. Edit - remainder of post moved to the "Love of '80s colors" thread.
Funny, I looked at a 88 with an 87 Serial (N7L), oddly, also red and white. Maybe they were the first ones off the line in the new year? I wonder if certain colors sold better at certain times of the year or when the production releases were.

Just the accountant rambling...
Old 10-25-19, 11:50 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
^^^^^
Centurion Model Years by Color
Old 10-28-19, 06:30 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Funny, I looked at a 88 with an 87 Serial (N7L), oddly, also red and white. Maybe they were the first ones off the line in the new year? I wonder if certain colors sold better at certain times of the year or when the production releases were.

Just the accountant rambling...
Any red/white '88 model in red/white would be a fade, with really gnarly graphic squiggles. A gem.

We only let accountants in if they promise to ride Ironman bikes.

By the way, it's boxed, and curing (to make sure the tape holds).
Old 10-28-19, 06:52 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

We only let accountants in if they promise to ride Ironman bikes.

By the way, it's boxed, and curing (to make sure the tape holds).
I know accountants. They're a stuffy bunch. I'm not sure I'd let them in at all. The romance novelists, though...they're a brash, descriptive, and amusing crowd.

Thanks for the update. I'm being patient.
Old 10-31-19, 12:15 AM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I found an 87 IM expert on CL for $250. I think it's a little high. A few rough paint spots, rusted chain and cassette looks beat up. Needs tires, hoods and bar tape. Red/white color scheme. Looks like a fun restoration project. Any helpful nuggets of wisdom before I go and try to negotiate? I've been wanting an IM since they came out. Never could afford one but always wanted one.
Old 10-31-19, 12:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackman61
I found an 87 IM expert on CL for $250. I think it's a little high. A few rough paint spots, rusted chain and cassette looks beat up. Needs tires, hoods and bar tape. Red/white color scheme. Looks like a fun restoration project. Any helpful nuggets of wisdom before I go and try to negotiate? I've been wanting an IM since they came out. Never could afford one but always wanted one.
$250 seems high to me for an Expert in that condition, but it may depend on pricing trends in your area.

Here in Texas I paid something like $200-$220 for an '89 Expert in excellent condition with, as far as I could tell, all original Suntour GPX group components including the Suntour chain. Original white hoods are still in great shape. Only the tires were non-original -- new and decent not great Vittoria Zaffiros. The bike was ride-worthy as-is and I did so for months before replacing the tires. A little at a time I've replaced or swapped parts around -- cables and housings, brake pads (the original Suntour pads were still good after decades), freewheel (I like SunRace chromed 13-25 and 13-28, I think it's the MFR30 and MFM30), and Vuelta chainrings, 50/39 and 38, just for easier climbing without sacrificing much top end speed other than on downhills.

BTW, the Suntour chain was definitely not one of their highlights and I quickly replaced it. But I cleaned and waxed the Suntour chain for posterity. It's in a ziplock bag for ... whatever. Might give it to a friend or collector who happens to want it. I mostly use KMC chains.

And a year later the same fellow I bought it from had another identical Ironman in even better shape for only $200. I hemmed and hawed and hesitated and it was gone by the time I made up my mind to buy it. Kicking myself over letting that one go.

When I see an Ironman for sale in Dallas to our east they sometimes ask higher prices, but I'd be surprised if anyone actually pays $300-$500. There's no shortage of good 1980s steel road bikes here and Centurion isn't in as much demand as Trek and other more familiar names. I also see some Diamondback road bikes from the early 1990s, nearly identical to the Centurions although the frames reportedly weren't quite as nice. Those Diamondbacks usually sell for $200 or less even in top notch condition. I've considered getting one just to dedicate to indoor trainer use.
Old 10-31-19, 09:56 AM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Thanks Cankle...The hoods and bar tape are mainly just dirty. I also like KMC chains so that won't be a big deal to replace. There aren't too many IM's around the PNW right now. I think the bike mainly just needs a thorough cleaning and some general maintenance other than the tires. I'll put on my own pedals. This is a bike I wanted so bad when it first came out but couldn't afford it. I was thinking of offering about $185 and see how far his jaw drops.

Update:
Went and looked at the bike today. Ended up taking it home for $200. It was actually cleaner in person than the pictures I received. It just needs a thorough cleaning. My wife says to keep it the way it is because it's a 32 year old vintage bike. I am leaning towards putting on new white tape and hoods.

Last edited by Hackman61; 11-03-19 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-05-19, 01:54 AM
Hackman61

Say...the chain on my 87 IM Expert has a link that is super stiff. If I want to just replace the chain which one do I go with? It's 6 speed Shimano 105. KMC or Shimano? I'm thinking the KMC Z51/Z8 chain. That should work shouldn't it?
Old 11-05-19, 06:53 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
The KMC chain is a good replacement. They make several different chains for 6-7-8 speed drivetrains.
The SRAM 830-850-870 chains are also very good.
Both brands come with quick release connectors.
Old 11-05-19, 05:30 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The newer KMC quick connectors are one-time use.
Old 11-05-19, 06:56 PM
madpogue 

The newer KMC quick connectors are one-time use.
That's as an idea as those infernal breakaway pins on the Shimanos. Makes me glad I just scored a bunch of NOS 8-speed SRAMs.
Old 11-06-19, 11:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ditto, KMC chains, although I reuse the Missing Links so often they can be taken apart with just my fingers. I've probably popped 'em apart and reused 'em a dozen or more times each. So far, so good, haven't had a quick link pop open unexpectedly. Only problem with the original Missing Link design was you needed a tool of some kind until the metal wore just a little on the Missing Links. I supposed it could be "tuned" by filing the engagement surfaces just a tiny bit.

I'm sure KMC wouldn't approve but that's the only hitch with the original Missing Links. They aren't "quick links" until they're worn a bit or unless you tote a tool to get 'em apart.
Old 11-06-19, 01:36 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^ Isn't there a thread here on how to use the wire part of a spring-y office binder clip as a "plier" to unlock one of those KMC not-so-quick links? Or is it an RJ youtube video?
Old 11-06-19, 03:15 PM
Hackman61

Hey fellas...I have a question. What color is the red on the 1987 Ironman Expert? (Don't say red.) I'm kind of color blind and different shades of color give me a hard time. I'm thinking kind of a fire engine red. I'm looking for red water bottle cages that would match the Ironman Red. I ordered some and when it arrived it was more like a candy apple red. Didn't match at all. I know this is a really small problem, but it bugs me if the reds don't match. Thanks for any help.

So I tried Testors Gloss red and it's a little brighter than the Ironman red. Any other ideas on matching the color? I'm stumped.

Last edited by Hackman61; 11-24-19 at 05:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.