Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trek 520 vs Surly Disc Trucker 26"

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Trek 520 or Surly DT 26"
Trek 520
37.14%
Surly Trucker Disc 26"
62.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Trek 520 vs Surly Disc Trucker 26"

Old 01-06-19, 12:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Trucker has slightly better components but the overriding question is 'what wheel size do you want?'
And yes , basically, Trek 520 is not using 26" wheels .. they use 700c. 35 ~ 37 ish is good..
Old 01-06-19, 03:24 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
And yes , basically, Trek 520 is not using 26" wheels .. they use 700c. 35 ~ 37 ish is good..

Yep, and this is one reason why LHT/DT is the better choice for many bicyclists. Shorter bicyclists can choose the 26" wheel version of LHT/DT to fit smaller frame sizes better, as the frame design is not compromised by steep seat tube angle to provide shorter effective top tube / reach, and slacker head tube angle to mitigate top overlap, as is frequently the case in 700c frame sizes <55cm.
Old 01-06-19, 05:52 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Yep, and this is one reason why LHT/DT is the better choice for many bicyclists. Shorter bicyclists can choose the 26" wheel version of LHT/DT to fit smaller frame sizes better, as the frame design is not compromised by steep seat tube angle to provide shorter effective top tube / reach, and slacker head tube angle to mitigate top overlap, as is frequently the case in 700c frame sizes <55cm.
I ride a 56 cm frame, had a 700c LHT for a year before building up a 26” 56 cm LHT. To my tastes the 700 wheel version has awful slow speed handling which matters to me for commutting and shopping with big loads. It’s like night and day if I have to maneuver in tight quarters. . Both carry heavy loads well and both ride at high speeds well but the 26” wheel version is nimble in comparison and the 700c version whch feels like a long bus.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 01-15-19, 08:50 AM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't believe I'm about to contribute to this zombie thread.

I have toured on a Trek 520 regularly for well over a decade. It has served me well and I adore the bike. I can't speak highly enough about it.
That said, if I were to purchase a bike under the conditions in the original post, I would get the Surly. I would prefer a 26" wheel if anticipating a potential tour around the world or anywhere which isn't North America or Europe. Also, because I'm something of a grouch, I am not keen on the changes Trek has made to the 2019 version of the 520. It's like the New Coke. They had a working formula, so why change it? Some things are classic and don't need to be tinkered with.
Old 06-15-19, 04:36 PM
stevecoh1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fit. No other question is as important.

Originally Posted by tyrion
Trucker has slightly better components but the overriding question is 'what wheel size do you want?'
That’s probably true. Tried them both yesterday and it wasn’t even close - FOR ME. 46 cm bikes always seem to fit ME like a glove. Trek doesn’t offer that size. 48 was the closest. I’ve been told I could ride a 51 or 52 cm. That’s bull****. The Surly seemed lighter and it probably was, not just because of the 2 cm but also due to the 26” wheels. So I bought the Surly. Time will tell if I made the right choice.
Old 08-31-19, 10:21 PM
brushspin

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well life happened and it's been some time.

I mentioned before how I rode a steel steed, that was my 19" Trek Multitrack 700.

Which if you haven't already figured was incredibly small on me.

I then purchased a Diamondback Crestview that was turned into a road bike

Bike dreams haven't panned out well just yet but they will soon.

Got the 54cm DT didn't build it but thought it would be small anyway

Also got a set of Velocity Cliffhangers in 26" with a Shimano Afline dynamo on a centerlock hub with DT Spokes and of course brass nipples!

6' 0"

35" pubic bone @ 175lbs

I found a lightly rusted LHT 58cm from a guy in PA for $600

Sick Components!

Then I purchased an English Falcon 631 SL Framset locally for $60

I currently have four bikes sitting in storage units and garages and two framesets so I'm working on getting them sold ASAP

In the mean time I'm working on getting the right parts and looking to blast the frame and fork and get it powder coated again to prevent further oxidation.

I haven't logged on in such a long time because of my busy schedule but hopefully I can chime in once and again in the near future.
I'm in NJ btw
Old 09-06-19, 05:15 AM
brushspin

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went out for a ride yesterday, a very short ride up and down the road in front of my house and after just a few minutes I knew that I wanted the handlebars to be closer to me and slightly higher. The only problem is, the stem is already short and the angle is already steep as it's going to get. Looks like people talking about how the LHT has a pretty long TT for a touring bike were totally right. Mind you this is the 58cm that I'm riding on right now.

Knowing that I think I might end up building that 54cm instead to get the handlebars much closer and get a longer stem for more stable handling.

Either that or I get myself something other then drop bars and go from there with the 58cm.

In any case when I rode the bike I could feel myself engaging my core far more then I'd like to and couldn't see myself getting those hours in the saddle that I could if I just ever so slightly more upright. It's only a couple cm's that I'd like to be higher and close to me but it will make all the difference. I'm not fat or unfit at all in fact I'm pretty skinny (lanky if anything) but with that said I felt as though if I could get the riding position to be a little more upright I would have the majority of my weight over my spinal column which would massively change the stress i would be putting my body through.

NOW granted I did swap out the saddle and used my daily saddle the Bontrager Montrose Comp

Which yea, I know I should be using the saddle that I'll be doing my tours with but for now my C17 isn't in yet so I'll do the test once she comes in the mail.

For the time being from the tip of the saddle to the center of the handlebars is 50cm which is short. Then again we are talking about a long nose saddle so I think I should be measuring from somewhere further back.

In any case I'm thinking of moving these posts into a thread of their own about me and my biking adventures.

Is that normal for this forum?

Let me know, and thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by brushspin; 09-06-19 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 09:48 AM
Arvadaman

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Trek bicycles a lot. I have several of their older mountain bikes. They make great bikes.

I just bought a LHT and I am putting it together from components in my parts bin. I bought a LHT for a few reasons.

I can build it up from the bare frame. If I bought a complete bicycle, I would have ended up discarding most of the components to build what I want.

I want 26 inch wheels. I want them for their easy availability to buy tubes and tires almost anywhere.
A 26 inch wheel allows for wider tires and a stronger wheel. Something I need at my weight.
I also have short legs and bikes with 26 inch wheels seem to fit me better. I also dislike toe overlap. All the 700c bikes I have ridden have toe overlap issues. I ride slow a lot in tight spaces so toe overlap is a problem I try to avoid.

I also like to be able to buy a frame with an uncut steering tube. I want to be able to decide where to cut (or not) the steering tube to best fit the bike to my body. Not a decision I want to have made for me by someone in a factory on another continent.

I have wanted an LHT for several years and found a 54cm frame on sale. I had been saving my pennies for 6 months. I am looking forward to getting it finished and riding it.

Last edited by Arvadaman; 09-08-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 10:12 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by brushspin
So I went out for a ride yesterday, a very short ride up and down the road in front of my house and after just a few minutes I knew that I wanted the handlebars to be closer to me and slightly higher. The only problem is, the stem is already short and the angle is already steep as it's going to get. Looks like people talking about how the LHT has a pretty long TT for a touring bike were totally right. Mind you this is the 58cm that I'm riding on right now.

Knowing that I think I might end up building that 54cm instead to get the handlebars much closer and get a longer stem for more stable handling.

Either that or I get myself something other then drop bars and go from there with the 58cm.

In any case when I rode the bike I could feel myself engaging my core far more then I'd like to and couldn't see myself getting those hours in the saddle that I could if I just ever so slightly more upright. It's only a couple cm's that I'd like to be higher and close to me but it will make all the difference. I'm not fat or unfit at all in fact I'm pretty skinny (lanky if anything) but with that said I felt as though if I could get the riding position to be a little more upright I would have the majority of my weight over my spinal column which would massively change the stress i would be putting my body through.

NOW granted I did swap out the saddle and used my daily saddle the Bontrager Montrose Comp

Which yea, I know I should be using the saddle that I'll be doing my tours with but for now my C17 isn't in yet so I'll do the test once she comes in the mail.

For the time being from the tip of the saddle to the center of the handlebars is 50cm which is short. Then again we are talking about a long nose saddle so I think I should be measuring from somewhere further back.

In any case I'm thinking of moving these posts into a thread of their own about me and my biking adventures.

Is that normal for this forum?

Let me know, and thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread, I really appreciate it!
In re the stem on the 58cm Trucker...have you considered a steering tube extender? I haven't tried one myself but have read some reviews & they seem to work pretty well. Even more deluxe would be a custom-made stem: ~$150-$300 for US-made, ~$100 (I think) for a Chinese titanium version.