Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Updates on Goethals and Bayone Bridge Bike/Pedestrian Paths?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 05-10-19, 10:22 AM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hello and how is everyone? I haven't been here in a while. Hope you are all well!

Okay, in my defense, I Googled this, but the information for the paths for both those bridges going from Staten Island to New Jersey seems to be woefully out of date. Anyone have the skinny on this? Last year this time, they were prognosticating the Goethals path would be ready end of last summer. Obviously that didn't happen. Supposedly, the Bayonne Bridge is going to be ready this Summer? Oh, and while on the subject, any word on if they plan on adding a path to the Outerbridge Crossing? LMAO I won't even ask about the Verazzano. Clearly 13+ lanes of motorist traffic aren't enough to allow my allegedly green city to add a teensy-weensy MUT to that bridge.
Old 05-13-19, 10:41 AM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I read somewhere on red*dit that they're opening both by the end of June (i.e. before the 4th of July weekend). Sounded legit to me.

Last edited by rfomenko; 05-13-19 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 04:17 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks, @rfomenko!

Has anyone in the forum used the bike racks on some of the MTA buses that cross bridges like the Whitestone and Verazanno? I know that cyclists (limited to two per bus on the racks) can take the Q50 across the Whitestone Bridge. And the S93 and S53 I believe can take cyclists from Bay Ridge Brooklyn into Staten Island. I am looking forward to trying some of these this summer. Not so worried about Staten Island to Brooklyn and back, because Bay Ridge and the first stop in SI are easy to navigate with a bicycle.

But I am not so sure about riding to the Bronx side of the Q50. That complex highway system near the Bruckner and Cross Bronx interchanges look harrowing to try and ride a bicycle to the stop. Anyone have any experience with these buses, particularly the Q50? The first/last stop in Queens looks fine, at 20th Ave and the end of the Whitestone Expressway, and I have ridden near there many times. But the Bronx side, at Lafayette Ave and the Hutch looks like it may be hard to get to with a bicycle. I am wondering if I go along this route, would cyclists be better off getting the bus at Brush Ave/Bruckner or even further back at Tremont Ave/Bruckner? Or is that last/first stop at Lafayette navigable to with a bicycle, say if one is coming from the South Bronx via Manhattan in order to get to that bus?
Old 05-24-19, 01:21 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Straight from the horse's mouth:

NEW PEDESTRIAN/BICYCLE PATH OPENED AT BAYONNE BRIDGE

If all goes to plan, I hope to check it out one day this weekend.

The horse sez nothing about the Goethals Bridge pedpath. I've seen it. It's physically there / been there since summer 2018, but no word when it'll be open.
Likes For arbee:
Old 05-24-19, 02:56 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Still waiting for the Goethals and Bayonne:

Rogue Riders Hit Bayonne Bridge — Before it Opens to Public

Edit; oh wait, this just in:

Bayonne Bridge Bike-Ped Path Opens — With No Safe Way to Get There

The Goethals pathway’s opening is delayed until the Port Authority and city DOT figure out a safe way for cyclists to access it, Coleman said. Its terminus currently opens out onto a three-lane one-way street that leads to a shipping terminal.
Old 05-26-19, 08:26 PM
arbee

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Earlier today, I biked the newly opened Bayonne Bridge pedpath. It's shown on Open Streets Map: Bayonne Bridge connecting Staten Island (NYC) and Bayonne, NJ (Dragon drop the map to the west; the pedpath on the Goethels Bridge is also shown.)

What you need to know: the Bayonne Bridge pedpath is on the bridge's east side (different from the old arrangement). Access from Staten Island is from Trantor Place. Trantor Place is, for the most part, one-way northbound, residential, and quiet. Conveniently, the 1½ blocks between the entrance to the Bayonne Bridge pedpath and Walker Street (south of the pedpath entrance) are two-way. In Bayonne, the bridge's pedpath ends at JFK Boulevard / West 7th St. My preference for north/south bicycling in Bayonne is Av A or one of the Aves to the east. While traffic on JFK isn't intense, the alternates are quieter.

Crossing the bridge, the climbs to the newly raised crest are somewhat steeper but they're hardly daunting. There are Bike-On-A-Wedge warning signs before the descents.

Dunno whether it was folks checking out the newly opened pedpath or the excellent weather, but (apart from group rides) I saw more folks today — on bikes and on foot — enjoying the pedpath than cumulatively on all my previous visits.
Likes For arbee:
Old 05-31-19, 01:35 PM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
This is great news! Hopefully soon the Gothaels will open up.

I am pretty sure they don't intend a bike/ped path over the Outerbridge Crossing, though. Even though that is a path that would make a lot more sense than two bridges that both go into the most industrial parts of Jersey. I read that there used to be a bike path over the Outerbridge, but it was torn out?
Likes For ChiroVette:
Old 06-05-19, 07:03 AM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiroVette
This is great news! Hopefully soon the Gothaels will open up.

I am pretty sure they don't intend a bike/ped path over the Outerbridge Crossing, though. Even though that is a path that would make a lot more sense than two bridges that both go into the most industrial parts of Jersey. I read that there used to be a bike path over the Outerbridge, but it was torn out?
The new bridge they're planning will almost certainly have a bike path but that is at least 5-7 years away...
Old 06-06-19, 06:48 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rfomenko
The new bridge they're planning will almost certainly have a bike path but that is at least 5-7 years away...
Yeah that would be a nice path, and an easier way to cycle to South Jersey, rather than having to ride through Bayonne or Elizabeth, which are both industrial. Any word on the Goethals? I keep checking the news sites, but haven't seen any updates other than some nebulous predictions it will be the end of this summer.
Old 06-06-19, 07:00 AM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah that would be a nice path, and an easier way to cycle to South Jersey, rather than having to ride through Bayonne or Elizabeth, which are both industrial. Any word on the Goethals? I keep checking the news sites, but haven't seen any updates other than some nebulous predictions it will be the end of this summer.
Well, at least we can get off SI and catch a train in Elizabeth to go to South Jersey... As far as Goethals is concerned, I read it somewhere that it will open by the 4th of July according to the responses by the PA to people's emails. Then I read the "end of summer" story so who knows? First it looked like the problem was with finishing of the the ramp on the Jersey side but now they're claiming it's the entrance on the SI side which is the issue. Well, they planned it like that years ago and now it's a problem all of the sudden....
Likes For rfomenko:
Old 06-06-19, 09:10 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Well, at least we can get off SI and catch a train in Elizabeth to go to South Jersey... As far as Goethals is concerned, I read it somewhere that it will open by the 4th of July according to the responses by the PA to people's emails. Then I read the "end of summer" story so who knows? First it looked like the problem was with finishing of the the ramp on the Jersey side but now they're claiming it's the entrance on the SI side which is the issue. Well, they planned it like that years ago and now it's a problem all of the sudden....
Yeah, I didn't come across the July 4th date, so great find, man!

I hope that's right. Speaking of the transition from Industrial NJ where the Goethals and Bayonne Bridges take us, is taking a train the only way to get from that area into South Jersey, AKA south of the Outerbridge and beyond? It wouldn't surprise me, because when I was plotting courses from the Jersey sides of both bridges, even on the maps I used, not even looking at 3D Streets, it looked very dangerous, assuming its even traversable (yeah thats not a word lol) by a bicycle. Of course, I could just be paranoid.
Likes For ChiroVette:
Old 06-06-19, 09:29 AM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I didn't come across the July 4th date, so great find, man!

I hope that's right. Speaking of the transition from Industrial NJ where the Goethals and Bayonne Bridges take us, is taking a train the only way to get from that area into South Jersey, AKA south of the Outerbridge and beyond? It wouldn't surprise me, because when I was plotting courses from the Jersey sides of both bridges, even on the maps I used, not even looking at 3D Streets, it looked very dangerous, assuming its even traversable (yeah thats not a word lol) by a bicycle. Of course, I could just be paranoid.
Still, the train from Elizabeth is way better than the SI ferry, PATH & train from Newark, IMHO....
Likes For rfomenko:
Old 06-06-19, 04:09 PM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Still, the train from Elizabeth is way better than the SI ferry, PATH & train from Newark, IMHO....
My sister lives in South jersey, near Hammonton. The way I devised to get there by bicycle, from the Kings Plaza area in Brooklyn was to leave very early in the AM, before 5:30, then go all the way across Brooklyn, over the Brooklyn Bridge, then there is a ferry from Pier 11, near Wall Street, leaving around 6:30 AM. That's about 11 miles. Then cycling from Belford to her area is another 85+ miles. So, in total, its a long but manageable 90+ miles. According to Garmin Connect, which is often inaccurate for altitude, its only a total of about 600 feet of ascent. I can't imagine that being accurate, though, so I am going to assume at least triple that, maybe between 1,800 and 2,000 feet of total climbing?

Anyway, even with the buses that take bicycles from Bay Ridge to the first stop in Staten Island, then pedaling to one of the bridges, not counting the Outer Bridge ever opening anytime soon, I am guessing that my scheme has to be better than taking, say the Goethals, then cycling all the way south.

If I went with your idea, say taking either the S53 or S93 to the first stop in Staten Island, pedaling to and over the Goethals, then how far should I take the train? Or do you think my idea is perhaps the more sane approach? lol I think the roads from Belford may be a helluvba a lot more cycling friendly?

Edit: For the train I think you're talking about, I see stops in Linden, Rahway, Avenel, Woodbridge. etc. In that order. How many stops you think I would want to take the train to have more riding, but not be in dangerous road conditions? One or two stops from Elizabeth? Or all the way to Amboy or beyond?

Last edited by ChiroVette; 06-06-19 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 08:19 PM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My sister lives in South jersey, near Hammonton. The way I devised to get there by bicycle, from the Kings Plaza area in Brooklyn was to leave very early in the AM, before 5:30, then go all the way across Brooklyn, over the Brooklyn Bridge, then there is a ferry from Pier 11, near Wall Street, leaving around 6:30 AM. That's about 11 miles. Then cycling from Belford to her area is another 85+ miles. So, in total, its a long but manageable 90+ miles. According to Garmin Connect, which is often inaccurate for altitude, its only a total of about 600 feet of ascent. I can't imagine that being accurate, though, so I am going to assume at least triple that, maybe between 1,800 and 2,000 feet of total climbing?

Anyway, even with the buses that take bicycles from Bay Ridge to the first stop in Staten Island, then pedaling to one of the bridges, not counting the Outer Bridge ever opening anytime soon, I am guessing that my scheme has to be better than taking, say the Goethals, then cycling all the way south.

If I went with your idea, say taking either the S53 or S93 to the first stop in Staten Island, pedaling to and over the Goethals, then how far should I take the train? Or do you think my idea is perhaps the more sane approach? lol I think the roads from Belford may be a helluvba a lot more cycling friendly?

Edit: For the train I think you're talking about, I see stops in Linden, Rahway, Avenel, Woodbridge. etc. In that order. How many stops you think I would want to take the train to have more riding, but not be in dangerous road conditions? One or two stops from Elizabeth? Or all the way to Amboy or beyond?
My sister also lives in NJ although in Princeton while my parents are near Kings Plaza. Aren't we related, lol? Your plan is not bad except I have no idea about the roads in that area. But NJ is not the best state for cycling, IMHO. But you're correct in that if you live in Brooklyn, there is no reason to go to Staten Island before both Verrazzano & Outbridge Crossing have bike paths. I live in SI so for me, Goethals makes lots of sense. But even with that, I wouldn't bike along the Route 27th considering the traffic there. Whenever I feel like going long distance, there is always that path going North from the Bronx to Westchester & Putnam. 140 miles round-trip once in a while satisfies my craving for long distances...
Old 06-07-19, 07:21 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
My sister also lives in NJ although in Princeton while my parents are near Kings Plaza. Aren't we related, lol? Your plan is not bad except I have no idea about the roads in that area. But NJ is not the best state for cycling, IMHO. But you're correct in that if you live in Brooklyn, there is no reason to go to Staten Island before both Verrazzano & Outbridge Crossing have bike paths. I live in SI so for me, Goethals makes lots of sense. But even with that, I wouldn't bike along the Route 27th considering the traffic there. Whenever I feel like going long distance, there is always that path going North from the Bronx to Westchester & Putnam. 140 miles round-trip once in a while satisfies my craving for long distances...
Not sure what you meant by the part I made bold there. Is that Rt 27? And if so, where is it located?

Oh, and assuming I went your way, taking an Elizabeth train, how far would I take that train to get to a good cycling area? The first five stops are Linden, Rahway, Avenel, Woodbridge, and Perth Amboy. I also don't mind cycling to Bay Ridge then taking the S93 or S53 bus with a rack on it to Staten Island. So Staten Island is accessible. Just not incredibly easy.
Old 06-07-19, 07:52 AM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure what you meant by the part I made bold there. Is that Rt 27? And if so, where is it located?

Oh, and assuming I went your way, taking an Elizabeth train, how far would I take that train to get to a good cycling area? The first five stops are Linden, Rahway, Avenel, Woodbridge, and Perth Amboy. I also don't mind cycling to Bay Ridge then taking the S93 or S53 bus with a rack on it to Staten Island. So Staten Island is accessible. Just not incredibly easy.
Rt 27 connects Newark to Princeton. I have no experience with cycling in southern Jersey but after checking the Google Maps (they have a "Bicycling" option there), I didn't see many "cycling-friendly" roads or dedicated bike lanes there...

Last edited by rfomenko; 06-20-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-04-19, 06:02 PM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Visited the entrance of Goethals on the SI side and crossed over the Bayonne bridge. It looks like the work on Goethals is finished, the sidewalk is extended all the way to the Western Ave and I have no vaguest idea why it's still closed. The entrance is very compatible to the one on Bayonne and nothing extra needs to be done there, IMHO. It's very, very, very strange indeed....
Old 07-04-19, 06:48 PM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Visited the entrance of Goethals on the SI side and crossed over the Bayonne bridge. It looks like the work on Goethals is finished, the sidewalk is extended all the way to the Western Ave and I have no vaguest idea why it's still closed. The entrance is very compatible to the one on Bayonne and nothing extra needs to be done there, IMHO. It's very, very, very strange indeed....
Thanks for posting this!

I remember a month or two back reading that the problem they are in the process of addressing with this is that on one of the sides of the Goethals, there is no safe path for cyclists/pedestrians to exit or enter the path on the bridge. I could be remembering this wrong, though. From what you are saying, though, if that information is true, then it would be the Jersey side that's the issue.
Old 07-04-19, 06:56 PM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

I remember a month or two back reading that the problem they are in the process of addressing with this is that on one of the sides of the Goethals, there is no safe path for cyclists/pedestrians to exit or enter the path on the bridge. I could be remembering this wrong, though. From what you are saying, though, if that information is true, then it would be the Jersey side that's the issue.
No, it was the SI side: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/05/...-to-get-there/ and I was there. The sidewalk to Western Ave is probably twice the width of an average sidewalk and all finished. Plus, hardly anyone walks there anyway so if it doesn't open this summer, I really hope that some bike groups sues them for lying constantly.
Old 07-04-19, 08:59 PM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
so if it doesn't open this summer, I really hope that some bike groups sues them for lying constantly.
lol Please tell me you're using hyperbole to make a point. Things often happen slowly in this city, and as far as I know, the people working on this bike path can't be sued for fraud (lying) because they are pushing back the public opening of the path. I am with you as far as the exuberance to get it open already, but there may be other reasons the path isn't open yet that we aren't aware of, such as permits, various inspections, and God only knows what else. I don't think the intent is to lie to us, so much as maybe they are dotting too many I's for our taste.
Old 07-05-19, 06:08 AM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
lol Please tell me you're using hyperbole to make a point. Things often happen slowly in this city, and as far as I know, the people working on this bike path can't be sued for fraud (lying) because they are pushing back the public opening of the path. I am with you as far as the exuberance to get it open already, but there may be other reasons the path isn't open yet that we aren't aware of, such as permits, various inspections, and God only knows what else. I don't think the intent is to lie to us, so much as maybe they are dotting too many I's for our taste.
Hyperbole or not, someone has got to be held responsible for lying at least five times in the last year. Remember, they promised to open it by the end of last summer, didn't they?
Old 07-05-19, 06:14 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hyperbole or not, someone has got to be held responsible for lying at least five times in the last year. Remember, they promised to open it by the end of last summer, didn't they?
Yes they did, and I, too, am disappointed. But in my experience, particularly as a New Yorker, I have come to expect delay after delay after delay in city funded projects. I just don't think it rises to the level of "lying" because estimates were off by however many months or even years. I kind of see it as, sh*t happens. I'm sure the people promising the scrapped time frame(s) sincerely believed they were speaking the truth, and their predictions were in good faith, though obviously wrong. I doubt there were city employees cackling and wringing their hands in the background like Cruella DeVille, joyful over fooling us.
Likes For ChiroVette:
Old 07-05-19, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
The Goethals in a PANYNJ bridge. And delays happen. Projected completion dates are just that: Projected completion dates. No one has any grounds for suing anyone. Geeze. What would your damages even be?
Old 07-05-19, 07:54 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The Goethals in a PANYNJ bridge. And delays happen. Projected completion dates are just that: Projected completion dates. No one has any grounds for suing anyone. Geeze. What would your damages even be?
In his defense, I don't think that rfomenko was being completely serious. Probably just more venting a little frustration at the wait. I can't tell you how many times I have done that. lol
Old 07-11-19, 12:41 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Bikes: Giant road bike

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Speaking of the transition from Industrial NJ where the Goethals and Bayonne Bridges take us, is taking a train the only way to get from that area into South Jersey, AKA south of the Outerbridge and beyond? It wouldn't surprise me, because when I was plotting courses from the Jersey sides of both bridges, even on the maps I used, not even looking at 3D Streets, it looked very dangerous, assuming its even traversable (yeah thats not a word lol) by a bicycle. Of course, I could just be paranoid.
This is a good question. If you can get over to NJ 27, then using that to go south is good. Route 27 goes as far as Princeton; there you can pick up a street that runs next to US 206, and goes by the various names Mercer Street, Mercer Road, Princeton Pike, and Princeton Avenue. That street goes all the way to Trenton. Or else you can take US 206 itself, which also goes to Trenton. I have taken the former route (NJ 27 to Mercer Road/Princeton Pike) on trips to Philadelphia several times.

However, getting over to Route 27 from the Goethals Bridge seems pretty indirect. I don't know where the Goethels Bridge bike path drops you; but my guess is that a cyclist would have to go north on 1st Street for the better part of a mile, then make a left on Elizabeth Avenue and take that for about two miles until that street swings south and becomes Rahway Avenue, merging with Route 27.

However, I am not clear on one key point: is this thing open yet or not?
Likes For Ferdinand NYC:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.