Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Super six vs Giant TCR 2 Advance, or Cervelo R3 which should I buy?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cannondale Super six vs Giant TCR 2 Advance, or Cervelo R3 which should I buy?

Old 09-17-19, 01:47 PM
  #1  
Cycpete
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale Super six vs Giant TCR 2 Advance, or Cervelo R3 which should I buy?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated, I would like to come out to a ride with your club and I am currently in the Woodlands. I am in the process of choosing a bike to purchase.
My first question is: what do you think is a better new bike Cannondale super six or the Giant TCR 2 Advance both with Shimano 105 group set? I am also considering the purchase of a Cervelo R3 with Ultegra group set for the same money as the TCR and the Super six.
The Cervelo comes with Ultegra group set and the Giant and Cannondale comes with Shimano 105.
Your thoughts / opinions would be greatly appreciated. Help!
Cycpete is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 02:19 PM
  #2  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 2,826

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 52 Posts
R3
kingston is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 02:31 PM
  #3  
greenpea
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would go for Cervelo R3 with Ultegra
greenpea is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 02:35 PM
  #4  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,549

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9403 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 214 Posts
Why is the Cervelo with Ultegra the same price?

I'm sure that they're all great bikes, but at the same price the Cervelo is undoubtedly the best deal.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 02:42 PM
  #5  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 215

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Go with the one you prefer most. Have you tried them?

How about the $, are they all going for the same price? They do have different MSRP... I believe the R3 is the most expensive one.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-17-19 at 02:45 PM.
eduskator is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 04:27 PM
  #6  
Jack Tone 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Check out the Cervelo R2 with Ultegra at Competitive Cyclist. I'm SO close to clicking the buy button. Apparently the same as the R3 except with more tire clearance?

Here's a link: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...rossEssentials
Jack Tone is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 10:38 PM
  #7  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 59 Posts
OP would you mind posting some links, or at least specifying the year/types for each bike? I'm finding it hard to believe a Cervelo R3 with Ultegra is the same price as a Giant with a 105, if they're same model year, everything else being equal. You see the bikes I own ('18 S3 SRAM eTap, 19 TCR Adv SL1 Ult Di2, '18 SuperSix Evo Ult Di2) and at list the Giant is generally a little cheaper than Cervelo and Cannondale, all things being equal. Different model years may explain the price differentials. Are they all rim and/or disc brakes? Are they all using current Ult/105 groupsets (R7000/8000)?

As others have said, you should really ride and decide. They are pretty different bikes offering different rides. Two are light racing frames (SuperSix and TCR) and one is an aero frame (S3).

Between my racing frames, I greatly prefer my TCR, but I have the top-line model while the SuperSix was the mid-line model, so not a totally fair comparison. I found the TCR lighter, just as stiff, and way more comfortable than the SuperSix. My SuperSix is currently on a wall hanger.

Between the TCR and the S3...on flats and descents, going all out, I can squeeze a little more speed out of the S3...but at a noticeable cost of comfort. If I'm riding on well-maintained roads, for long, unbroken stretches, trying to set PRs or beat other riders, then I'll opt for the S3. For most other riding (which is the majority of the time) I'll opt for the TCR.
CarloM is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 07:04 AM
  #8  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 215

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
OP would you mind posting some links, or at least specifying the year/types for each bike? I'm finding it hard to believe a Cervelo R3 with Ultegra is the same price as a Giant with a 105, if they're same model year, everything else being equal. You see the bikes I own ('18 S3 SRAM eTap, 19 TCR Adv SL1 Ult Di2, '18 SuperSix Evo Ult Di2) and at list the Giant is generally a little cheaper than Cervelo and Cannondale, all things being equal. Different model years may explain the price differentials. Are they all rim and/or disc brakes? Are they all using current Ult/105 groupsets (R7000/8000)?

As others have said, you should really ride and decide. They are pretty different bikes offering different rides. Two are light racing frames (SuperSix and TCR) and one is an aero frame (S3).

Between my racing frames, I greatly prefer my TCR, but I have the top-line model while the SuperSix was the mid-line model, so not a totally fair comparison. I found the TCR lighter, just as stiff, and way more comfortable than the SuperSix. My SuperSix is currently on a wall hanger.

Between the TCR and the S3...on flats and descents, going all out, I can squeeze a little more speed out of the S3...but at a noticeable cost of comfort. If I'm riding on well-maintained roads, for long, unbroken stretches, trying to set PRs or beat other riders, then I'll opt for the S3. For most other riding (which is the majority of the time) I'll opt for the TCR.
^^ this. The 3 bikes can't go for the same price...
eduskator is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 07:19 AM
  #9  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,549

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9403 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
OP would you mind posting some links, or at least specifying the year/types for each bike? I'm finding it hard to believe a Cervelo R3 with Ultegra is the same price as a Giant with a 105, if they're same model year, everything else being equal. You see the bikes I own ('18 S3 SRAM eTap, 19 TCR Adv SL1 Ult Di2, '18 SuperSix Evo Ult Di2) and at list the Giant is generally a little cheaper than Cervelo and Cannondale, all things being equal. Different model years may explain the price differentials. Are they all rim and/or disc brakes? Are they all using current Ult/105 groupsets (R7000/8000)?

As others have said, you should really ride and decide. They are pretty different bikes offering different rides. Two are light racing frames (SuperSix and TCR) and one is an aero frame (S3).

Between my racing frames, I greatly prefer my TCR, but I have the top-line model while the SuperSix was the mid-line model, so not a totally fair comparison. I found the TCR lighter, just as stiff, and way more comfortable than the SuperSix. My SuperSix is currently on a wall hanger.

Between the TCR and the S3...on flats and descents, going all out, I can squeeze a little more speed out of the S3...but at a noticeable cost of comfort. If I'm riding on well-maintained roads, for long, unbroken stretches, trying to set PRs or beat other riders, then I'll opt for the S3. For most other riding (which is the majority of the time) I'll opt for the TCR.
R3, not S3.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 08:38 AM
  #10  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
R3, not S3.
My mistake. OP: please disregard the portion of my comments related to the S3. The SuperSix/TCR comments (assuming you are in the same/similar design year) still stand. The TCR has been largely unchanged for several years, but the SuperSix just saw a big change in the current model year (2020 MY being sold in 2019). I don't believe there was much change in the SuperSix between MY2018-19.
CarloM is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 09:59 AM
  #11  
smashndash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 488

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
If it’s worth anything, UCI has approved a range of new TCRs for next year.
smashndash is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 10:29 AM
  #12  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,612
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8790 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 333 Posts
I had an R3 for years. Only reason I don't still ride it is a driver who ran a red light. 🤕

It's a fantastic bike.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 10:45 AM
  #13  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,825

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
all have life time warranty to first owner. So go by specs and looks. They should all fit nearly the same.

I'd go R3 w/ Ultegra
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 09-18-19, 05:30 PM
  #14  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
all have life time warranty to first owner. So go by specs and looks. They should all fit nearly the same.

I'd go R3 w/ Ultegra
I'd say my 51cm SuperSix and size S TCR fit very differently (geometry difference of the frames is pretty striking). Even after I got a pro-fit on my TCR and then got my SuperSix as close as I could to those measurements. And again, the ride quality is very different between the two (never rode an R3). If you offered me an Ultegra SuperSix vs a 105 TCR (both mechanical) I'd take the step down 105 and superior frame/ride-feel (to my style of riding) of the TCR.

But that would be a false choice because in my experience Giant tends to give you "more bang for buck" than Cannondale. That's why I had asked if OP could post either links or more spec details--i.e. model year, which type of groupsets are used, etc. For example, is are the bikes all in the R7000/R8000 105/Ultegra generation, or is the Ultegra bike using the older 6800 groupset, in which case the newer R7000/105 may actually be a better performer? I know when I was shopping for my S3 on clearance, there were new clearance bikes offered at deep discount still using the 6800 Ultegra. In that case, I'd go with the new 105 because, having that on my Trek FX S6, I can tell you it's a fantastic mechanical performer.
CarloM is offline  
Old 09-19-19, 11:56 AM
  #15  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 215

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
I'd say my 51cm SuperSix and size S TCR fit very differently (geometry difference of the frames is pretty striking). Even after I got a pro-fit on my TCR and then got my SuperSix as close as I could to those measurements. And again, the ride quality is very different between the two (never rode an R3). If you offered me an Ultegra SuperSix vs a 105 TCR (both mechanical) I'd take the step down 105 and superior frame/ride-feel (to my style of riding) of the TCR.

But that would be a false choice because in my experience Giant tends to give you "more bang for buck" than Cannondale. That's why I had asked if OP could post either links or more spec details--i.e. model year, which type of groupsets are used, etc. For example, is are the bikes all in the R7000/R8000 105/Ultegra generation, or is the Ultegra bike using the older 6800 groupset, in which case the newer R7000/105 may actually be a better performer? I know when I was shopping for my S3 on clearance, there were new clearance bikes offered at deep discount still using the 6800 Ultegra. In that case, I'd go with the new 105 because, having that on my Trek FX S6, I can tell you it's a fantastic mechanical performer.
This... IMO, as soon as $ is a factor in the decision making process (whether or not you're on a tight budget), Giant should be considered. This is why my first road bike was a Defy Adv. 3, and my newest one a TCR Adv. Pro 0. The equivalent models (with similar specs / components) of the other brands were at least 1000-2000$ more expensive. If I ever get to change it and I don't go with an Advanced SL, I'd get a Scott (Foil Premium Disc). It's just perfect!

eduskator is offline  
Old 09-19-19, 07:04 PM
  #16  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
This... IMO, as soon as $ is a factor in the decision making process (whether or not you're on a tight budget), Giant should be considered. This is why my first road bike was a Defy Adv. 3, and my newest one a TCR Adv. Pro 0. The equivalent models (with similar specs / components) of the other brands were at least 1000-2000$ more expensive. If I ever get to change it and I don't go with an Advanced SL, I'd get a Scott (Foil Premium Disc). It's just perfect!

That is without a doubt a sexy aero bike! Wonder if 2020 they'll go total internal cable routing, as seems to be the norm. If 2018/9 was the Year of the Transition to Disc, I feel like 2020 will be the Year of the Transition to Total Internal Cable Routing (at least for aero bikes and top of the line racing models).
CarloM is offline  
Old 09-19-19, 10:23 PM
  #17  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,612
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8790 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 333 Posts
That's some narrow tire clearance!
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-20-19, 12:05 AM
  #18  
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
That is without a doubt a sexy aero bike! Wonder if 2020 they'll go total internal cable routing, as seems to be the norm. If 2018/9 was the Year of the Transition to Disc, I feel like 2020 will be the Year of the Transition to Total Internal Cable Routing (at least for aero bikes and top of the line racing models).
You could well be right with the hidden cable routing.
Got to say that it doesn't do anything for me.
I admit that it looks clean and tidy but as far as maintenance, cables binding, rattling etc I see it as all negatives.
And any aero gains would not be measurable for the riding I do.
Dean V is offline  
Old 09-20-19, 12:37 AM
  #19  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
You could well be right with the hidden cable routing.
Got to say that it doesn't do anything for me.
I admit that it looks clean and tidy but as far as maintenance, cables binding, rattling etc I see it as all negatives.
And any aero gains would not be measurable for the riding I do.
Same. Only interested for aesthetics. I’m not strong enough to realize the 1 second savings over 20 miles going 25mph!

I will say one thing that annoys me is cable rattling with external cables (currently happening on my Cervélo which I’m going to try and tape down with electrical tape...it’s coming from the underside of my handlebars). And the rats nest on my TCR is so unsightly I’m going to pay a separate mechanic to tidy it up.

i think by the time I’m ready for a new frame, around 2020-21, they’ll have figured out better solutions to internal cable rattling.
CarloM is offline  
Old 09-20-19, 12:51 AM
  #20  
cpach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mt Shasta, CA, USA
Posts: 1,254

Bikes: Too many. Cannondale SuperSix, Trek Remedy 8, Trek Crossrip+ get the most ride time.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
They're all all pretty nice. At the same price I'd say sure, go with a bike with Ultegra. For what it's worth Giant just introduced a new policy of replacing or repairing any Giant branded carbon part (including frames) to the original owner for two years no matter what, including racing, so that may be relevant. My experience working with the industry is that Giant and Cervelo are easier to deal with for warranty and for replacement parts (disclaimer: I currently work at a Giant dealer, and previously worked for a shop that sold both Giant and Cervelo, and previously dropped Cannondale because they sucked to deal with. My personal bike however is an older Supersix which I love, so there's that).

Take into account which shop you like working with better. Also take into account what help they'll provide regarding fit and service, to whatever degree that's relevant to you.
cpach is offline  
Old 09-20-19, 08:49 AM
  #21  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 215

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
That is without a doubt a sexy aero bike! Wonder if 2020 they'll go total internal cable routing, as seems to be the norm. If 2018/9 was the Year of the Transition to Disc, I feel like 2020 will be the Year of the Transition to Total Internal Cable Routing (at least for aero bikes and top of the line racing models).
Indeed my friend! I find it to be one of the (if not THE) sexiest bike available. The colors are just amazing. Internal cable is def. the way to go! I just don't like the 15 000$ (CND) price tag...
eduskator is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Cycpete
General Cycling Discussion
3
09-17-19 09:50 PM
acealthebes
Road Cycling
23
01-01-18 06:31 PM
Trevor M.
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
29
05-23-12 06:18 PM
David78
Road Cycling
65
06-24-11 01:11 PM
1stedition
Road Cycling
22
11-29-10 11:38 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.