Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Upgrading My Dinotte XML-3 Light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 11:14 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts

Having bought a second XML-3 last year to enjoy a nice bump from 1000 to 2100 lumen over the first one I bought in 2012, I started developing an itch for extra lumens for my helmet light. I recently remembered that Dinotte has a refurbishment program, so I'm sending my old 1000 lumen unit to upgrade it to the latest 2500 lumen internals. It is nice to have that upgrade option rather than relegating an old light to a spare parts drawer, particularly having several high capacity batteries.
Old 10-02-19, 05:44 AM
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
Having bought a second XML-3 last year to enjoy a nice bump from 1000 to 2100 lumen over the first one I bought in 2012, I started developing an itch for extra lumens for my helmet light. I recently remembered that Dinotte has a refurbishment program, so I'm sending my old 1000 lumen unit to upgrade it to the latest 2500 lumen internals. It is nice to have that upgrade option rather than relegating an old light to a spare parts drawer, particularly having several high capacity batteries.
I just upgraded my XLM 3 really love the output, DiNotte has a fast turn around to had the light back in less then 1 week.
Old 10-02-19, 08:31 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Cost information: New light with battery $259 New light without battery $169 Upgrade light $75

From having read flashlight forums I know that the most recent CREE LED is the XM-L2. According to the CREE website it has a maximum output of 1198 lumens at 3A current. The 2500 lumen output for the 3 LED XML-3 light shows DiNotte is running them below the maximum and probably for good reason. One is heat dissipation and the other is run time. At 2500 lumens the battery lasts 2.5 hours. I needs a very good heat sink to keep from frying the LEDs.

I tried one of the inexpensive 5 XML-T6 bike lights offered by Banggood for under $40 including battery and charger. It was very bright, certainly equal to this 2500 lumens but the run time wasn't very impressive. Even running it onfour of the best available 18650 batteries (NCR/Panasonic 3,400 mAh) didn't give a very good run time. I decided I didn't need that much light in a suburban atmosphere. Maybe if I was using it off-road in a forest it would be different. The other factor was I hated dealing with a separate battery pack and the wires between the light and battery.