Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Masi's dropout hanger is askew

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Masi's dropout hanger is askew

Old 09-19-19, 07:24 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 09:45 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Well, early Saturday I went on a group ride that started and ended at the LBS; left the RD on the 4th cog, chattering away back there, and did the whole ride in 4th/inner and 4th/outer, and kept up (I usually ride alone, so it felt a bit strange). After the ride, the LBS was open for business, and they adjusted the hanger but I have not tested the results yet but it looks right.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
RJ the bike hack shows you how to make a homemade tool.
https://youtu.be/sWdO4dnu18g
I need to do this, one of my other bikes might need this adjustment some day. One more reason I must buy a drill press, even if it's a small one; this alone, plus I was following the topic on polishing hub cones, would justify the expense.

Originally Posted by Chuckk
But using the Allen wrench method is only easy after the hanger has been adjusted carefully with an appropriately sized Crescent wrench closed on the hanger. Then, the long handle of the Allen displays any additional adjustment needed in SIX directions! After all, this is rocket medicine. ;-]
This would have been tempting! Only, however, with a "sacrificial" derailleur; otherwise, with my luck, I'd bend the Nuovo Record, and that's unacceptable.

Old 09-22-19, 10:01 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Based on the photo in post #3 , you were way out of spec. The fact that you are using a Nuovo Record friction rear derailleur means that by having the bike shop use their “DAG” (derailleur alignment gauge) tool, the clattering should now be silenced.

Where you would really appreciate the proper alignment if you decided to run a 7 speed indexed rear freewheel or cassette.

It it was very satisfying to me when I got my old Saint Tropez (1980’s Japanese 126mm steel frameset, think Centurion Dave Scott Ironman) aligned. I was able to run my rear Dura Ace 7400 seven speed Uniglide cassette wheel in super reliable index mode in my 3x7 conguration.
Old 09-22-19, 10:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I hadn't ridden one of my bikes for quite a while and decided to ride it on Friday. It became obvious that the hanger needed to be adjusted, so yesterday I adjusted it. Wouldn't shift into the biggest cog. I came to the conclusion is that the hanger was out of alignment the last time I adjusted the derailleur. The other interesting thing was that by eye, it sure looked like the hanger was bent in at the bottom. But when I measured it, it was actually bent in at the front and it was okay top to bottom. So much for doing this by eye without a gauge.
Old 09-22-19, 11:39 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Mehh.... Don't overthink this one. Just put in a wheel, clamp down the skewer nice and tight to keep the dropout faces aligned and bend out the hanger as needed with a well padded (with electrical tape on the jaw faces), big enough adjustable wrench......
The steel the dropouts are made from is ductile enough to take the very little bit bending it looks like you need to do without cracking/breaking.....
Old 09-22-19, 01:06 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Using a crescent wrench is probably OK for small adjustments and you can eyeball it, lay a straightedge across the derailleur mounting flat. Close enough is good enough in most cases. I recommend against using an allen wrench in the derailleur bolt, you might bend the bolt.

you are only looking for an adjustment of a couple degrees, so go easy and check frequently. remember you're looking for parallelism in both the vertical and horizontal plane.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA