Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something? Help with correct stem diameter.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 08:21 AM
Cheseldine

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 21 Posts

Hey everyone,

I have an older fillet brazed Jamis Diablo (1988) that I'd like to rebuild from a rigid mountain bike into a dirt drop/commuter setup. It has a threaded, rigid fork, and Tioga headset.

I assumed that the quill stem post (where it inserts into the steerer tube) diameter should be 22.2mm. When I got out the dial caliper and measured at multiple points, I am getting exactly 22mm - if I open my caliper to 22.2mm I definitely have a minute amount of play between the caliper arms and the stem.

Is this typical? I know some older French bikes like my Motobecane take a 22mm stem, but was suprised to get a 22mm reading on a late 80s mountain bike. Do stems vary by a couple tenths of a mm typically?

I am getting measurements of 22.0mm stem diameter and 25.4mm clamp diameter for the stem (which makes sense).

I'd prefer to get a nice 22.2mm Nitto dirt drop stem with a 26mm clamp size to fit the Nitto Dirt Drop bars, but if I really have to go with 22mm options I'll be stuck with a threadless adapter.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 09-19-19, 08:43 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Is there no marking on the stem? And do you have another stem to try? Because that would be weird if it were specced as 22.0mm.
Old 09-19-19, 08:46 AM
Cheseldine

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Is there no marking on the stem? And do you have another stem to try? Because that would be weird if it were specced as 22.0mm.
Unfortunately I don't have another 22.2 quill stem lying around I could try. The stem has no markings other than "Jamis" on the neck and the marks for the minimum insertion depth.
Old 09-19-19, 09:02 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Have you measured the ID of the fork? Maybe there is space for a 22.2mm quill but the OEM stem is just undersized.
Old 09-19-19, 09:08 AM
Cheseldine

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Have you measured the ID of the fork? Maybe there is space for a 22.2mm quill but the OEM stem is just undersized.
^I hope this is the case - I had just repacked the bearings and correctly tensioned the headset and locknut when I decided to actually measure it before ordering parts last night. I couldn't get a good measurement of the ID of the fork steerer with the locknut installed as there is a rubber washer in there to prevent grime from getting in. I am unsure if the ID of the locknut is the exactly the same as the ID of the fork as well. I guess I'll have to pull it apart and check that next. I was wondering if maybe it was common for 22.2 quills to measure closer to 22.
Old 09-19-19, 09:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Another possibility is that some early MtB bikes used the "American" (these days I should really say "USA") 21.15mm stem diameters, a left over from decades of US bikes and Wald/Schwinn like products. (Ross was another who used this spec). With a simple caliper the measuring is easily drifted a bit from the actual. This is why afterr the thousand of assumptions and the one measurement, a trial fit tells all. Andy
Old 09-19-19, 10:16 PM
cecu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
another possibility is that the caliper is not 100% accurate?
Old 09-20-19, 08:28 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by cecu
another possibility is that the caliper is not 100% accurate?
Agreed. The cheap calipers tend to have a bunch of slop in their movement. Additionally don't forget that if you ask 10 people to measure something with the same device it's often that you end up with 11 different claims Andy
Old 09-20-19, 06:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Another possibility is that some early MtB bikes used the "American" (these days I should really say "USA") 21.15mm stem diameters, a left over from decades of US bikes and Wald/Schwinn like products. (Ross was another who used this spec). With a simple caliper the measuring is easily drifted a bit from the actual. This is why afterr the thousand of assumptions and the one measurement, a trial fit tells all. Andy
I've seen the odd bike with a 22.2" steerer tube but with a top lock nut from a 21.5 headset.

Cheers
Old 09-20-19, 07:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've seen the odd bike with a 22.2" steerer tube but with a top lock nut from a 21.5 headset.

Cheers
Yes so have I. But when one says they measured a steerer ID you have to hope that they know the difference between the steerer and the top nut Andy
Old 09-20-19, 07:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Yes so have I. But when one says they measured a steerer ID you have to hope that they know the difference between the steerer and the top nut Andy
I've seen far to many who measure at the top lock not and assumed it was the same as the steerer tube. I NEVER assume what people might do when it comes to working on a bicycle.

Cheers
Old 09-20-19, 07:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've seen far to many who measure at the top lock not and assumed it was the same as the steerer tube. I NEVER assume what people might do when it comes to working on a bicycle.

Cheers
Yes, My reply was a tad tongue in cheek. I should have added more then a smile to indicate that. Andy