Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Greg LeMond To Be Awarded U.S. Congressional Gold Medal

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Greg LeMond To Be Awarded U.S. Congressional Gold Medal

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 06:37 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
While Jacques Boyer is the first American to compete in the TDF, he plead guilty to ten counts of Child Molestation. For me, that takes him out of the running for ANY awards.

https://www.velonews.com/2002/11/new...r-in-jail_3238

On topic, good for Greg LeMond! A true champion, gentleman and worthy of admiration.
I agree with your sentiments about Boyer and didn't say anything about awards for him but he was a bit of a 'door opener'. Major Taylor deserves better!

I remember LeMond's first Tour win well. It was huge!
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 09-22-19, 07:27 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I often find myself agreeing with his most famous quote, "Hell is other people."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Exit
That would be another interpretation of "Do I know where hell is? Hell is in 'hello.' Heaven is 'goodbye forever, it's time for me to go.'" -- "Wand'rin' Star" from "Paint Your Wagon," Alan J. Lerner
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-22-19, 08:50 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I think you have to divide Trek's effort into two piles: the early stuff, and the stuff made by Trek that was a big corporation (and was influenced by their relationship with Armstrong). I might make room for an early/American brazed Trek. I definitely would make room for a LeMond, if one came my way. I'm happy for Greg though, everything I ever read or watched about him has been positive, and he comes across as a genuinely compassionate human being. His tour efforts came at my impressionable years as a bicyclist, and help inspire my own passion for bicycles and bicycling. He didn't need to win a tour to be inspirational in my eyes, but the fact that he did is/was great.
Old 09-22-19, 08:58 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nah, I'm not gonna boycott my LBS that happens to be a Trek dealer. They were a Trek shop long before the Armstrong related scandal. No point harming a local business over something they had no control over. And they're good folks, an old school LBS, a rarity compared with the chain shops.
Ditto. My LBS is over a hundred years old and was carrying Trek long before LA. No corporation is perfect. I have vintage Treks, but no new ones... but then again I don’t really have any new bikes either. But I do support my LBS when I can.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 09-22-19, 09:03 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I think you have to divide Trek's effort into two piles... I'm happy for Greg though, everything I ever read or watched about him has been positive, and he comes across as a genuinely compassionate human being. His tour efforts came at my impressionable years as a bicyclist, and help inspire my own passion for bicycles and bicycling. He didn't need to win a tour to be inspirational in my eyes, but the fact that he did is/was great.
Ditto again. I was in high school when he won and he inspired me to ride. I never really raced, but I became a roadie then and never really looked back. My roads may have more gravel in them than before, but they’re still roads.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 09-22-19, 09:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I'm a Lemond fan-boy.

Bought a solid yellow jersey in '86.

As for Trek, well - they wanted to be the dominant force in the industry more than anything else, so American.
When I was looking at a CF bike in mid-90s, the OCLV (bladder formed bikes) were deadwood compared to tube and bond, but their sales people could only brag about Trek superiority and dominance. Two 'Trek arrogant' sales people turned me off to the brand back then. Blind allegiance to dominant companies = not my thing. But when my daughter wanted a blue beachcruiser, the LBS closing out Trek had one. So I proudly own a Trek (as she didn't take it with her upon moving out).
Old 09-22-19, 09:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Not only was Lemond a great champion, but he is also a genuinely nice guy. No one has stories of him mistreating them. You can't say that about all the greats. When he raced in Europe, he spent winters in Belgium to train, and he learned to speak French so he could get along. Europeans could have felt annoyed or threatened by him, but he became their friend.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-22-19, 09:42 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Cool, one day I'd like one of his frames from the 90's. It's on a (long) list.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-22-19, 10:11 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nah, I'm not gonna boycott my LBS that happens to be a Trek dealer. They were a Trek shop long before the Armstrong related scandal. No point harming a local business over something they had no control over. And they're good folks, an old school LBS, a rarity compared with the chain shops.
How I feel too. Not much one for new bikes anyway but the local trek shop is my go to place for all my vintage jobs that I don't get time for. Great bunch there.

Heck I even rode my one Trek ('99 Y-Foil) on a century bike ride yesterday. This despite being an ultimate Lemond fan.

Me and some of my Lemond's after a recent Greg "tribute" ride.

Old 09-22-19, 10:49 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
How I feel too. Not much one for new bikes anyway but the local trek shop is my go to place for all my vintage jobs that I don't get time for. Great bunch there.

Heck I even rode my one Trek ('99 Y-Foil) on a century bike ride yesterday. This despite being an ultimate Lemond fan.

The green/orange/yellow frame Lemond, on your left in the photo, is striking.
Old 09-22-19, 12:56 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by gbi
The green/orange/yellow frame Lemond, on your left in the photo, is striking.
One of a unique handful made by the man himself and given to friends.

Another example of his positive influence on U.S. cycling.....

Old 09-22-19, 01:08 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Well apparently his positive influence didn't extend to the fashion world...
Old 09-23-19, 01:34 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
One of a unique handful made by the man himself and given to friends.

Another example of his positive influence on U.S. cycling.....

Wow! thanks, with that info in mind, I revise my rating.

Last edited by gbi; 09-23-19 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-23-19, 06:33 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Heck I even rode my one Trek ('99 Y-Foil) on a century bike ride yesterday.
Great minds, James, great minds....
106.87mi --- 6:26:24 -------- 2,530ft
Distance -----Moving Time------Elevation

A lady there took a picture of it, sent it to her Trek shop, and he wrote back "blast from the past..they rode like crap but they were neat bikes."
I beg to differ. It doesn't ride like a Wraith, but it's a long way from crap. So far.

Lemond Definitely Deserves The Award.
As Forrest Gump said, "that's all I have to say about that."

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-23-19 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-23-19, 06:36 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Well apparently his positive influence didn't extend to the fashion world...
The mystery Mrs. Lemond's missing tablecloth ... solved.
Old 09-23-19, 11:25 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts

Outstanding~
Old 09-23-19, 11:42 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Good to hear LeMond is finally getting recognized. Glad I got my '06 Reno when I did, and my wife has an 06 Reno also (WSD-for real). Really like that bike (my avatar) and no plans of ever parting with it, and my wife feels the same with hers. Didn't know anything about a Trek-LeMond parting of the ways or problems between them at the time, but if they parted in 08, probably started before then.

Last edited by freeranger; 09-23-19 at 12:50 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-23-19, 02:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That photo of LeMond with his restaurant tablecloth team jersey shows how much champions sacrifice to make race weight. In that photo he looks like a normal athlete, maybe 3-5 lbs above peak weight. But in his real peak form he probably weighed 15-20 lbs less.

I remember some YouTube armchair athletes criticizing LeMond, decades after the fact, for being "fat" after his 1989 Tour de France win. He gained maybe 2-3 lbs and didn't quite look skeletal anymore.

Those guys weren't just ruthless on opponents. They were ruthless against themselves.

Which brings to mind one of the few incidents that slightly tarnished LeMond's halo: the 1982 World's finish. LeMond was criticized for leading a pack to regather Jonathan Boyer, whose solo breakaway looked like he might snag the victory. After the race LeMond said:

“We were in the last 500 metres and Boyer only had about a 20-metre lead, which there was no way he could keep. I didn’t think he could win and I didn’t want him to. He’s just not a friend. He’s never won a professional race and I didn’t think he was the kind of guy who should be World Champion.”
LeMond was probably correct. Unsupported by a teammate, Boyer was on the verge of being reeled in anyway. But Boyer's strength was the solo breakaway, which he showed in winning the 1985 Race Across America, arguably tougher than any multi-stage race. With a little help during the 1982 World's he might have retained that breakaway lead longer and won.

And in the heat of competition, particularly immediately after a stage that didn't go well, LeMond could come across as petulant and a bit whiny. Thanks to edited YouTube videos you can find several examples.

But ya know what? I don't care. Nobody gets to that level of indomitable championship form without a few warts. I admired LeMond from the time he was a teenager when I first read about his US victories. And I admired him more later, maybe even because he occasionally showed a few human flaws.

Much as I admired Merckx, and still do, Eddy was out of line criticizing LeMond for not taking the traditional European approach toward at least participating in more one-day races, crits and more of the Big Three GC races. But LeMond slowed down considerably after surviving a gunshot injury and focused on the TdF. Eddy had his injuries -- a bad crash that he said hindered his form the rest of his career, and being kidney-punched by a spectator -- but Eddy was never shot.

But that's not unusual for elite athletes. Much as we'd like to venerate them as saints, in reality they can be ruthless, even vicious and occasionally petty in the heat of competition. That's what separates them from equally skilled but less ruthless opponents and teammates.

And I'd still rather listen to LeMond than Wiggins.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-23-19, 03:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Lemond still has lead in his body, unable to be removed surgically. If he gets too thin, he suffers. People that look at him and call him fat, well, he's not, and he's alive. That's enough for me, as I prefer one of my cycling heroes to live life and enjoy it.

I don't see why anyone would expect a person to look like he/she did 30 years ago.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-23-19 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 03:17 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Lemond still has lead in his body, unable to be removed surgically. If he gets too thin, he suffers. People that look at him and call him fat, well, he's not, and he's alive. That's enough for me, as I prefer one of my cycling heroes to live life and enjoy it.

I don't see why anyone would expect a person to look like he/she did 30 years ago.
Met up with a guy locally to get a bike a few months ago. He mentioned doing a event type ride just a few years early where Greg rode also. Talked about how nice Greg was and that even though he looked fat he still kicked everyone else butt. So.....
Old 09-23-19, 03:23 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Great minds, James, great minds....
106.87mi --- 6:26:24 -------- 2,530ft
Distance -----Moving Time------Elevation

A lady there took a picture of it, sent it to her Trek shop, and he wrote back "blast from the past..they rode like crap but they were neat bikes."
[COLOR=black]I beg to differ. It doesn't ride like a Wraith, but it's a long way from crap.
Distance: 99.05 Moving time: 5:29:41 Elevation: 13:29.

I was about a mile or so into the ride before I remembered to start the Garmin. And....like an idiot....I noticed I still had me reading glasses dangling on a cord around my neck. I'm getting senile, LOL!

I decided to take the Y-Foil at the last minute and through on the C.F. Reynolds 46 wheelset. I found the bike perfectly comfortable except for the Fizik Kurve Snake saddle on it. I prefer the Chameleon shape for longer rides. I really have no complaints about how the bike rode, even took my first real cattle guard at speed on it. Crazy good time.
Old 09-23-19, 03:40 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have a ton of respect for both Lemond and Armstrong. You don't need to pick a side, IMO. To reward one, while taking a dig at the other, I feel is totally unnecessary, unfair, and divisive. They're both great athletes. Heck, why not give Lemond the Congressional Medal of Honor. For slaying the badger.

My '99 Tourmalet, FWIW:

Old 09-23-19, 03:53 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have a ton of respect for both Lemond and Armstrong. You don't need to pick a side, IMO. To reward one, while taking a dig at the other, I feel is totally unnecessary, unfair, and divisive. They're both great athletes. Heck, why not give Lemond the Congressional Medal of Honor. For slaying the badger.

My '99 Tourmalet, FWIW:
Remember, enemy of my enemy is my friend"
Old 09-23-19, 04:16 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
Maybe, but with Armstrong it was the way in which he reacted to criticisms that shows what his real personality is like, and the way he treated his critics, including LeMond. One guy has class, the other was obsessed with winning at any cost, and selling his soul along the way.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 09-23-19, 05:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by VtwinVince
Maybe, but with Armstrong it was the way in which he reacted to criticisms that shows what his real personality is like, and the way he treated his critics, including LeMond. One guy has class, the other was obsessed with winning at any cost, and selling his soul along the way.
Celebrating for Greg should be possible without even mentioning the other guy. Lemond is why I kept a bike around, even when I thought cycling was sort of silly. I wanted to capture what he showed us all, and in my mind, he won when his support was iffy at best, against guys who weren't just "there," but there with serious cred. That doesn't happen every Tour.

I kind of wish the US Congress had a little more credibility....

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-23-19 at 05:48 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.