Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur Not Shifting Properly (Friction Shifters)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-19, 12:28 PM
GormyGorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

So, I have been building up this old 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki SSD, new tires and inner tubes, new cables and housings, new handlebar tape, brake pads, and chain. With all of this I am also trying to get the drivetrain shifting smoothly, the rear derailleur shifts great, but in the front, it shifts down onto the smaller chainring just fine, but when I try to shift onto the larger ring, it just keeps slipping off and never manages to shift onto it. I have tried moving the height of the derailleur, rotating it, adjusting the stops, but I can't get it to shift onto that larger ring.

Also let me know if you have any suggestions for what I can do with these bikes. I have two, one is the SSD which I am working on building up to be a general good 10 speed, and then a Kabuki Superlight which I do not have plans for yet. (It needs a new front derailleur, tires and tubes, cables, and brakes to be in good condition.)
Old 09-20-19, 12:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
If the Kabuki is going to get a new derailleur anyway, why not just wait until you have it? FDs always have to be fussed with; that's their nature.

Is the cable and housing in good condition? If it is original, I'd go new on both. Is the shifter slipping? You might need to tighten the screw or take it apart, clean and lube it. (Do one side at a time so you have a reference on the order of the small parts. It matters. Also there will be two "washers" that are not to be greased. These are your friction plates.)

Ben
Old 09-20-19, 01:02 PM
GormyGorm

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If the Kabuki is going to get a new derailleur anyway, why not just wait until you have it? FDs always have to be fussed with; that's their nature.

Is the cable and housing in good condition? If it is original, I'd go new on both. Is the shifter slipping? You might need to tighten the screw or take it apart, clean and lube it. (Do one side at a time so you have a reference on the order of the small parts. It matters. Also there will be two "washers" that are not to be greased. These are your friction plates.)

Ben
Basically, I have two of these bikes, the one I am working on appears to have a working derailleur, the second one's derailleur is in pieces. The one I am working on I put all new cables and housings on. The shifters feel very stiff, but don't seem to be slipping. I will post a video of it trying to be shifted when I get the chance.
Old 09-20-19, 01:08 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Make the shift fast and positive...... don't baby it.
Old 09-20-19, 01:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Tighten the cable?
Old 09-20-19, 02:08 PM
GormyGorm

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Tighten the cable?
Already done. I have tried most of the stuff that I feel like would be the first thing to go to, but I am no expert on bikes with friction shifters.
Old 09-20-19, 02:25 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by GormyGorm
I am no expert on bikes with friction shifters.
Really, it shouldn't be that much different than any other shifter. The only difference is that there's no click stop or set position where the shifter needs to be in order to shift into the next gear. As someone explained it once, trigger/brifter shifters are like digital, and friction shifters are like analog. The trigger shifters and brifters go directly into the next gear with a click, but the friction shifters have to be eased up into the right spot to shift into the next gear. Usually you just feel it as the derailleur shifts.

But for all the simplicity of a friction shifter compared to any other shifter, the friction shifter ought to be easier to figure out. The worst problem I've ever had with a friction shifter is one which loses friction and doesn't stay in gear.
Old 09-21-19, 06:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Start by setting the outer cage plate of the front derailleur parallel to the large ring, and only a couple millimeters clearance above the teeth when shifting from the small ring. Still have problems? Use an adjustable wrench to bend the forward 5mm or so of the inner cage plate slightly inward. Make sure the cable is taut, shift quickly and smoothly, with a slight overshift (inner cage plate contacting the chain on the large ring), then trim back to clear the chain.
Old 09-21-19, 07:08 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Loosen H-limit screw, also if the cage is already parallel to the ring maybe it's bent.
Old 09-21-19, 07:24 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Move to bike mechanics?
Old 09-22-19, 04:11 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)