Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon crack check

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Carbon crack check

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 12:02 AM
Error

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon crack check

Hi,
i've just saw carbon frame check reporte done by profesional team .... full chk. of frame with all cosmetic and structural damage on frame. Well how it is done ? x-ray ? ultrasound ? or .... (except visual chk.)
tnx.
Old 09-22-19, 11:12 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I've seen ultrasound used.

X-Ray would probably take it up another level; maybe some places use it, but that's some expensive equipment.
Old 09-22-19, 07:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Why don't you ask the "guy" who did the report? Why should we know their process?

Ultra sound, X ray, Borescope inside the frame are some better methods. Tapping along frame surfaces to detect significant changes of tone, pushing on surfaces to try to detect delaminations, sighting along surfaces to detect kinks or lumps, pulling and prodding drop outs to test for bonding, same with "braze one". The there's the alignment stuff. Does the "guy" have a process to determine alignment that's not just drop out aligning gages or a hanger gage? Andy.
Old 09-24-19, 05:43 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,909 Times in 1,140 Posts
My experience says it was an X-ray because that is definitive in the process. Problems with CF are that the delaminations begin with a small point of matrix that did not cure properly. They expand by virtue of movement between the CF layers and that is what leads to failure. Ultra sound only looks for the already delaminated sections and not the underlying breaks in the matrix bonding. HTH, Smiles,MH
Old 09-25-19, 06:03 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
My experience says it was an X-ray because that is definitive in the process. Problems with CF are that the delaminations begin with a small point of matrix that did not cure properly. HTH, Smiles,MH
That the composite did not cure properly is an interesting idea. Since bikes are fabricated using pre-impregnated carbon/epoxy sheets, as purchased from suppliers, improper cure suggests that the epoxy mixing process has been improperly monitored. This raises the question of what, if any, monitoring or testing procedure was in place. In industrial processes, as for example, fabrication of aluminum or steel structural components, there are industry association standards that must be met. In the carbon composite business I know of no such industry association requirements. Bike manufacturers, if not doing their own testing of the materials they use, rely on prepreg suppliers doing testing, or not.