Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 11-29-05, 10:24 PM
cruncher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'3' 230lbs- buying a new bike (Storck c1.1) any advice on pedals??? I was looking easy to get in; somewhat light and still durable and troublefee. Is that too much to ask?
Old 11-29-05, 10:25 PM
cruncher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also looking for computer. Considered Flight Deck (using Durace components) but some of the reviews have me worried. Thoughts on easy to use wireless computers?
Old 11-29-05, 10:41 PM
CPclydesdale
Bike Shop Geek

Bikes: I don't own the bicyle... It owns me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruncher
6'3' 230lbs- buying a new bike (Storck c1.1) any advice on pedals??? I was looking easy to get in; somewhat light and still durable and troublefee. Is that too much to ask?
I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but you need Crank Bros. Twin Ti Egg Beaters at 218 grams a pair. Light enough for any road race weenie, but still has a strong cromoly axel. I know... "they're mtb peadals" *wah*, you will need a shoe that accepts SPDs. The positive is, they're stronger than any other lite-weight road pedal and 90% servicable. As my Hill-billy friend would say, "... it's like a sore pecker,... you can't beat it". I'm between 205-235 pounds and I run with standard egg beaters. I don't recommend ti axels for someone our size.
Old 11-29-05, 10:51 PM
CPclydesdale
Bike Shop Geek

Bikes: I don't own the bicyle... It owns me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also looking for computer. Considered Flight Deck (using Durace components) but some of the reviews have me worried. Thoughts on easy to use wireless computers?
If you're willing to spend money on the Storck and thinking of getting a Flite Deck... "WOW them all" with a Garmin Edge 205

This thing is the ultimate in easy to use wireless... it's GPS. Just mount to your handle bars and it does everything a Flite Deck will do +, altitude, map, and even let you race against a virtual partner. It might, actually, be worth the money
Old 11-30-05, 02:38 PM
cruncher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks cpclydesdale;
Already looked up your link and this looks interesting. Thanks again, Cruncher
Old 11-30-05, 02:44 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I will be getting a Garmin Edge 305 this year. That thing looks sooo sweet.
Old 11-30-05, 02:50 PM
cruncher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does not look like this model of Garmin does cadence, though. Not sure about spending nearly $400 on a computer I love t he idea of this!
Old 11-30-05, 03:00 PM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmmm.

I've been surfing around for GPS units for my moto. I've narrowed it down to the Garmin Quest. There is a bicycle mount available for it. I already have a Polar S720 that does all the other stuff. My feeling is that spending that much for something that does only the one thing well is not so good. At least the quest I can use in the car, the moto, in my hand walking around and on the bike too.

Do you already have an HRM?

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 11-30-05, 03:18 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Does not look like this model of Garmin does cadence, though. Not sure about spending nearly $400 on a computer I love t he idea of this!
The 305 does, either HR or cadance and then for $50 you can buy the other option as an add on.
Old 11-30-05, 04:54 PM
cruncher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have been wearing HRM for years. I like the idea though of having wrist mount; since I use also during cross training- spin classes in winter etc.
Old 11-30-05, 08:06 PM
mistercindy

Bikes: Univega Viva Sport (circa 1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread! I'm 6'0" and 235 lbs. Ten months ago I was at 285 lbs. I ride a Gunnar Sport with full 105 gruppo.
Old 12-01-05, 07:54 PM
sunflowerflyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'-10 and completed a 540 mile group ride last summer at about 220 lbs. I trained really hard for the ride but haven't ridden a lot since. Between the holiday eating and lack of riding I'm currently 235, and can't wait for some warmer weather to get going again. May ride the Oklahoma Freewheel in 2006.

I have an old Trek with all the long tubes carbon, just opposite of modern bikes. If you try to mash it will bounce. They work great as a trainer as it forces you to spin. All the original Ultegra is still functioning perfectly.

The original wheels kept breaking spokes. So I now have Shimano 550's (low spoke count), and they are working fine so far. I just dread the day a spoke does break, probably not riding it in.

My next bike will have a triple crank.

My handlebars are bit higher than normal very much like the new generation of comfort road bikes. I will likely buy a new Trek Pilot (comfort road) or equivalent this spring.

My biggest problem was finding a seat that didn't cause numbness. I tried several "notched" seats and gel seats to no avail, but finally settled on a hornless model from https://www.tesco-shopping.com/bikeseat.htm . I was also curious about the spiderflex but didn't try it. Hornless seats are not for everyone. When transitioning from standing to sitting you have to find center. It can cause some localized numbness on your "cheeks" after 30-40 miles if you don't stop enough, but this is waaay better than what was going numb. It also took awhile to get my bike adjusted so my hiney hit it correctly and my legs cleared. Now I really like it, but wouldn't rule out switching to a normal seat if I ever find one I can ride. They just look odd on a fast road bike.

I also have a trek cross bike with 700cX28 slick conti's. This is usually pulling my kids in a trailer. A lot of fun but not nearly fast enough.
Old 12-04-05, 07:10 AM
Barese Rider

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im barely 5'8''and at 215lbs with a 40 in. waste, Im fat.. Im tired of it too.. My first foray into cycling was 20 years ago and then I was less than 160 lbs.. Rode an entry level Nishike.. Got away from it except for some joys rides now and then.. Ive really ballooned in weight the last 10 years.. This sucks..This year Ive bought a Trek 2100 for fun, exercise and to help loose some weight.. Unfornutately the weight doesnt come off as easily as it did 20 years ago....Ive got 1200 miles in and havent lost a pound..
My big problem at this weight are hills and strong head winds, they take a real toll on me.. On top of that for some reason I have a hard time up shifting on hills.. Ive been told by two different bike shops that this is caused by excessive strain on the chain and gears as a result of my weight.. Any have a similar problem??
Old 12-04-05, 09:04 AM
edtrek
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minor thread hijack (but I'm a Clydesdale!) Re the Garmin 305: my understanding is that it uses "virtual cadence" not actual cadence... you set it up with your gears etc. It knows your speed from the GPS, it knows what gear your in from the Flight Deck functions.. it's not actual cadence but a secondary derived number. For instance, if your going down a hill and not pedalling, it'll generate a cadence number of 200. This is what I've heard, not direct knowledge- haven't bought one yet.
Old 12-04-05, 01:43 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Consider yourself in cycling "rehab". If you don't already have wide range gearing on your bike you should be actively seeking to outfit it as such now. Next I would say you need to ignore any arbitrary indicator of your cycling abilities as you used to know them such as average speed for your rides and focus on consistency and spinning. Keep your effort on the cranks low and spin as much as possible up the climbs. Focus on easy breathing and reset your psychology with regard to your climbing....what I mean is to keep an open mind, climb regularly, drink fluids, keep spinning and don't be so competetive with yourself that you start overdoing it and ripping tendons and overstressing your frame. Try to stay seated when you climb as well. While you are in this rehab mode you don't need to be standing on the pedals (yet) to climb, that will come later after you increase your endurance and take off some weight. If it seems that the writer of this post is being a bit bossy or cocky with my recommendations, its only because I've put my self through this "rehab" numerous times in my life and its very humbling. After putting in consistent effort over a long period of time you will lose weight, increase speed and comfort on the bike and generally be much more capable. My goal is to not have to yo-yo between overweight and unfit and "almost fit". If you stay active during the winter and exercise at least 3 days a week year round, like I intend to do, I think you will continue to improve and also you'll realize that your hillclimbing is just another effort and take it in stride. Good Luck.
Old 12-04-05, 09:24 PM
Bike_This1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6-3 @ 215lbs

These are the bikes I ride:

Racing:

Old 12-05-05, 07:34 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike_This1
6-3 @ 215lbs

These are the bikes I ride:

Very nice bike!!! I saw one at my LBS Saturday and just stared at it for 15 minutes. How do you like it? Did you buy it as a whole bike or did you build up the frameset. My LBS has a steep price tag on it...$6000 equipped with Chorus. I found it at an online store for $4200 equipped the same way with Ksyrium Elites.
Old 12-05-05, 07:56 AM
cruncher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mas161; thanks for the good advice; all of us Clydesdales who are in rehap appreicate the encouragement. I am going through it now. I am encouraged that my speeds on flat rides are increasing; my overall endurance on most rides has increased. Still hit wall very quickly on hills; some of my Clydesdale riding partners are much more powerful on the hills. I really want to improve here; any other advice?
Old 12-05-05, 10:10 AM
Bike_This1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Kevin thanks for the compliment....I built this bike from the frameset up and simply love it. For a 200 pounder you simply cant beat the stiffness in the bottom bracket.

There is a bike shop selling the frame sets VERY cheap! Check them out: https://theracersedge.net/

Thanks
Old 12-05-05, 10:26 AM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I', 6'6" and weigh 230 and 63 years of age.I started riding 6 years ago because of cancer treatments. The chemo made my connective tissues sore and when I rode it didn't.

I've had 3 types of cancer over the past 12 years and currently I'm dealing with bladder cancer and have 3 more chemo treatments in January. I ride 4 to 5 hours a day, everyday I can.

I started on a mountain bike and got up to 35 miles a day and then switched to hybred and up it to 40-45 but my back would get sore.

This spring I bought a custom Marinoini Fango CX and I put 8,000 miles on it from April thru November.

I just picked up my new 2006 Litespeed Ultimate last week and the ride is so smooth. I want to do a lot of centuries and endurance rides.

Riding for the season just finished and I now have to get on the dern trainer.
Old 12-08-05, 11:18 PM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Merlin, Kestrel, Trek Y-Foil, DeRosa, Davidson......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jimblairo, your courage and determination in the face of cancer & chemo is awesome! I'm going to borrow a bit of your spirit to re-motivate my own cycling. I've had three flu's and some walking pnemonia this Fall, but am finally recovering and looking forward to putting in some decent miles. I'm now at 6'2" 230, 38" waist......I want to whittle down to 215, 36" waist by 3/21/05. Thanks again!
Old 12-08-05, 11:20 PM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Merlin, Kestrel, Trek Y-Foil, DeRosa, Davidson......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typo: ....I mean 3/21/06.....
Old 12-09-05, 01:05 AM
chuck731

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motophoto

]

Well I guess I dont have this photo posting thing down, sorry. Here is my story I am 40 years old now weigh in at 250 pounds and am six foot tall. I am also dealing with a fused left ankle(ankle does not move) and bad arthritis in my right knee so the doctor said about the only thing I could do for exercise was ride a bicycle or get in a pool. So the bike it was nobody needs to be subjected to me in a speedo the bike shorts are bad enough .
For some reason that bike looks like it is waaaay too big for someone 6 feet tall. What is it, 58, 60 cm center-to-center? I am average proportioned 5'11, and 54cm fits me pretty well
Old 12-09-05, 09:19 AM
Motophoto
UberClydesdale

Bikes: Klein,Panasonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes that is a very large frame on my bike (60). I do have a little bit of room when I stand over the top tube, about a half a inch. When I bought it new way back in 1984 I was still growing and being the cheap bastard I am I did not want to spend the huge sum of $800 on a bike that I would out grow so I got a size I a little bit bigger that I needed. The problem is as you can see from the seat position I stopped growing about at the same time as I got the bike. So yes it is bigger than I need but I am not sure it is dangerous after riding it for over 20 years with out any problems. The next road bike will be smaller though a 58 or maybe a 56 depending on the stem/ brand of bike. I guess I have long legs what can I say .
Old 12-09-05, 05:20 PM
snyper0311

Bikes: Orbea Lobular Custom and Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Day Everyone,
I am new to this forum and was glad to see the Clydesdale thread. Well, I is one too. I weigh in at 218lb at 5'10". I ride an Orbea Lobular custom. Great bike for my fat Mexican butt! Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Wyatt #1.GIF (58.4 KB, 352 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.