Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Canyon Pathlite 7 - tire and pedal recommendations?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 02-28-20, 05:24 PM
Vern1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just purchased this bike online for a good price and looking for some suggestions (1st post here)

Some background: 1st new bike in about 25 yrs. I currently ride a Thin Blue Line (Canadian bike thats been out of business for many years now). Its a mountain bike frame with front suspension. Great bike but its just showing its age ie gears just dont quite work that well anymore and the brakes are just crap now.

I bought the Canyon because of its great value. Reasons for the Pathlite; I always liked a front fork. I ride 90% bike paths in Toronto but they are pretty banged up in places, bumpy, a bit muddy at times and I ride occasionally on some hardpack fine gravel/dirt. (I tried to post the link to the bike but i apparently need 10 posts before i can do this for some reason)

My old bike has road slicks that are 1.5" thick (i think) but i liked them for the speed. Max pressure is 55 lbs.

The Canyon comes with Maxxis Rambler 40mm tires. They look a bit knobbly for the riding I am going to do. Max pressure 75lbs. Is there a better slick-type tire for my purposes? I will definitively try them out when i get the bike but i like my speed.

The bike seems to come with the pedals VP-536. I have never used clipless and not sure i will start but are these decent non clipless?

Been many years since i got a new bike and the tech has obviously changed significantly so am interested in any thoughts on these questions or any other recommendations

Many thanks
Old 02-28-20, 09:14 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
The Canyon Pathlite's are really nice bikes for a good price. Especially with what you get equipment wise. In my opinion it's one of a very few Sport Hybrid's that come with suspension that really will not need any foreseeable upgrades.

Some of us have spent so much money on upgrading our hybrids, that we more than likely would have just been better off getting a fully decked out bike like this. I just bought a Scott Sub Cross, have already started upgrades, waiting for the Rockshox air shock, updated to Ergon grips and now having the 3x9 on this bike and a prior hybrid bike, am wavering to upgrading to a SLX 2x10 combo. Which essentially would bring the amount I paid for the bike and upgrades to over $1000.

I would suggest testing out the Maxxis tires on the bike, but there are many different tires with less traction and more road worthy if needed. Check out Bike Tires direct to see the variety available.

The VP pedals on the bike, look to be good pedals. Strange that if you google vp-536, a different pedal comes up, but then you will also see Canyon's version of the VP-536 and that looks to be a nice pedal. I personally, am totally taken over by my clipless. I simply am no longer interested in having flats. I learned how to use them a few winters ago when my prior bike was on a trainer. I don't think I will ever go back.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the bike.
Old 02-29-20, 07:14 AM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, yes even though I have been out of the market for a while, the components etc seem to be pretty top notch for a bike at this price level

The only big drag with Canyon is they dont ship to Canada for some unknown reason. Had to get my bro in CA to order and deliver to his house and then he will ship to me

Will def try out the Maxxis tires and check out the Tire direct site, thanks. May even go clipless at some point

Cheers
Old 02-29-20, 03:34 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts
That is a very nice bike. You are fortunate to be able to arrange getting one up here.

I took a long look at those -- the Pathlite 8 version -- last spring when buying a new bike, and would very likely have bought one if Canyon were selling into Canada. Unfortunately, they are still not doing so even though such a move has been rumoured several times.

Tires? There are lots of options these days, with widths anywhere from 32 to 38mm that would suit the riding you describe. I'm partial to Specialized tires -- currently using Roubaix Pro 32s (https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ro...=229786-155483)

The relatively new Pathfinder -- for more mixed surfaces -- is also spoken of very highly by those who use 'em (https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/pa...=237517-157870).

You mention 'speed'; well, you might also explore the Herse range from Jan Heine and company:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...ts/tires/700c/

Pedals: like @travbikeman I can't offer much comment. I've used clipless (SPD) exclusively since 2004.
Old 02-29-20, 05:02 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Welcome! As for the tires, I'd ride with the Maxxis tires and see how you like them. You've already bought them and you may find they roll well on pavement. Or not -- only first-hand experience will tell you. If you do want to replace them, you might consider something from the Schwalbe Marathon line. They have about a hundred different tires called "Marathon <something>", and the line has expanded tremendously from what it was a decade or more ago (which was focused only on very robust touring tires). Something like the Marathon Racer or the Marathon Supreme should roll smooth and quiet. I've had great experience lately with Vittoria tires, and their Revolution Tech might be a good choice for you.

As for the pedals, they look like basic platform pedals. These are all I ride (platform pedals), and these should be fine if you like platform pedals. You may or may not want something a little grippier, and there are other options for pedals with more traction. Race Face Chesters (or similar) are commonly cited as one of the better options, but there are quite literally hundreds of good platform pedals available on the market.
Old 03-01-20, 08:59 AM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you both as well for the info; looks like i need to do some more research. But of course, I will give the Maxxis tires a spin to see how I like them. Maybe they will be fine cause you can put up to 75lbs in to them which should make them pretty good for the pavement

Badger, I can always get my bro to ship 2!

Cheers
Old 08-23-20, 07:11 AM
scbeano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am on the waitlist for a Pathlite 7.0 and wanted to get your feedback on sizing. Site recommends Small for me at 5'10 and that seems small. I have a 54 in Specialized MTB. Thanks for any feedback. How do you like your Pathlite after 6 months?
Old 08-23-20, 02:20 PM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this bike! Light (enough), nimble and handles very well. Gears/brakes like a dream to me although thats somewhat to be expected given the last time I bought a bike.

I have been riding on the Maxxis tires and have been going off-road more than i did on my previous bike which I am enjoying - nothing serious but some hard pack trails and gravel etc. The tires work well for this. They roll pretty well on pavement and I will likely try a quicker tire at some point but they have been serving my purpose fine.

Have not gone clipless yet as I cant really try on shoes due to Covid so that will have to wait. But it is something I would like to try when I can

As far as sizing, I went with a large frame and I am 6'. I prefer a larger frame and after making some adjustments to the headset height and seat it fits great. When standing its a tight clearance between the cross bar and the groin area though and wouldnt work well for someone any shorter than me (depending on inseam of course (i think i was a 34). I believe i was on the cusp between a medium and large and decided on the large and glad i did. At 5'10" i would assume a medium would be more appropriate but I guess it depends on how you like your frame to fit. I like a longer reach. Hope that helps

Theres a waiting list now? Are you in Canada?
Old 08-23-20, 02:43 PM
scbeano

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will go for the M. I am in the US.
Old 08-23-20, 04:46 PM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lucky (at least as far as ordering one of these bikes goes). Enjoy, right choice i think
Old 09-06-20, 04:56 AM
s6har

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I was interested in buying a Canyon Pathlite AL SL 7.0 to use for daily commute, for some light trails and for not too long journeys. As such, I would like to know if the Pathlite has the braze-on to mount a rear rack.
More in general would you consider the Canyon Pathlite AL SL 7.0 a good choice for the intended use?
Sorry for going slightly off topic
Old 09-06-20, 06:56 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Canyon has the braze-on's on the interior of the bars, rather than the familiar outer part.

Google images of the Canyon and you will see this.

Also, shows here: https://www.luxurylifestylemag.co.uk...n-buy-in-2020/

Old 09-06-20, 06:43 PM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thats pretty much what I use mine for and it is excellent for that. So yes, it would be awesome for that intended use! I ride mine 3-4 times a week doing 25-40kms a ride and its super responsive, comfortable and a pleasure to ride. I dont have a rack or pannier but it has the mounts for it. I am still on the original 40mm semi knobbies which are great for a little offroad but may still go with more of a slick at some point to add a little speed

Its a great bike so go for it!

Originally Posted by s6har
Hi, I was interested in buying a Canyon Pathlite AL SL 7.0 to use for daily commute, for some light trails and for not too long journeys. As such, I would like to know if the Pathlite has the braze-on to mount a rear rack.
More in general would you consider the Canyon Pathlite AL SL 7.0 a good choice for the intended use?
Sorry for going slightly off topic
Old 09-12-20, 05:13 AM
s6har

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Canyon has the braze-on's on the interior of the bars, rather than the familiar outer part.
Originally Posted by Vern1
Thats pretty much what I use mine for and it is excellent for that. So yes, it would be awesome for that intended use! I ride mine 3-4 times a week doing 25-40kms a ride and its super responsive, comfortable and a pleasure to ride. I dont have a rack or pannier but it has the mounts for it. I am still on the original 40mm semi knobbies which are great for a little offroad but may still go with more of a slick at some point to add a little speed

Its a great bike so go for it!
Thanks to the both of you.

Checking my previous bike mesuraments I'm puzzled about the size S that canyon suggests. I'm 169cm (5'6") tall and have a 79cm (31") inseam. By your experience, do you think a measure M would be too big? Maybe it would have a too high stack?

Info on sizes from Canyon site:
S, M
168-178cm, 178-184cm, BODY HEIGHT
681-781mm, 711-811mm, SEAT HEIGHT
490mm, 520mm, SEAT TIBE LENGHT
582mm, 590mm, TOP TUBE LENGTH
90mm, 105mm, HEAD TUBE LENGHT
71°, 71°, HEAD TUBE ANGLE
73.25°, 73.25°, SEAT TUBE ANGLE
425mm, 425mm, CHAINSTAI LENGTH
1.056mm, 1.064mm, WHEEL BASE
602mm, 617mm, STACK
400mm, 404mm, REACH
804mm, 826mm, STAND-OVER HEIGHT

Last edited by s6har; 09-12-20 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Added bike specifications
Old 09-12-20, 10:13 AM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Checking my previous bike mesuraments I'm puzzled about the size S that canyon suggests. I'm 169cm (5'6") tall and have a 79cm (31") inseam. By your experience, do you think a measure M would be too big? Maybe it would have a too high stack?

S, M
602mm, 617mm, STACK
400mm, 404mm, REACH
Impossible to give you accurate advice unfortunately. As I mentioned above, I am 6' and went with a large although I was on the M/L cusp according to their measurements. I like the fit but it wouldnt have been great if my legs were a little shorter as I am very close to the cross bar when standing up. I like a bigger frame and reach but thats a personal preference
Old 09-12-20, 03:04 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts

S, M
602mm, 617mm, STACK
400mm, 404mm, REACH
@Vern1 has good advice, given that he has direct experience of the bike. I don't, but I am familiar with the fitting scheme -- mainly because I am really intrigued by this bike -- so would offer this.

You are right at the bottom end of Canyon's 'S' suggested size range. Both the 'S' and 'M' have plenty of stack, and note that there is a minimal reach difference -- 4mm, given that the two sizes have the same seat and head angles, is next to nothing. Then factor in the considerable difference in standover: 804 (S) vs. 826 (M), and it strikes me that for you the 'S' is just the obvious, and safe, choice.

Canyon's 'M', for this frame, is a big bike. FWIW, I'm only 173cms height, but with an 84cm true cycling inseam, and without hesitation I'd go with the 'S' on this bike. The 'M' would be, for me, far too ungainly -- pretty much a barn door.
Old 09-15-20, 03:33 PM
s6har

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the M would be too big. I'm not very experienced in bike sizing and I got confused by looking at several models specs.

One last question. In the geometry table it's written that there are 25mm of spacers under the stem, but I can't see them in any of the photos on the site. Did your bike have them?
Old 09-16-20, 07:05 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
One last question. In the geometry table it's written that there are 25mm of spacers under the stem, but I can't see them in any of the photos on the site. Did your bike have them?
The photos on the site don't have the spacer(-s?) but this here review shows it, so it's likely that's indeed the stock configuration:

https://www.luxurylifestylemag.co.uk...n-buy-in-2020/
Old 09-23-20, 04:12 PM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the M would be too big. I'm not very experienced in bike sizing and I got confused by looking at several models specs.

A little late but yes it has the spacers