Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant Defy or ... ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Giant Defy or ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 09:25 AM
pinkfloydhomer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Defy or ... ?

Hi guys, first timer poster here. I am upgrading from my very old (2006) alu road bike with 105, rim brakes, 25 mm tyres etc. I have ridden this bike in many different conditions and have experience now as to what kind of bike I really need and what I actually use it for. I use it for commuting, for 50-100 km rides now and then, alone or with a friend, never racing, never trying to win anything, almost never use the low position on my handlebars, I set my saddle not as high as most people, I like a comfortable riding position. There are things more important to me than raw speed, like comfort. On the other hand, there is a reason I've used by road bike for all my bike needs for all these years. I still need a bike that is... efficient.

Anyway, my conclusion is that I need an endurance bike or a gravel bike instead of the one I have. I would like to have the option of going to very wide tires allowed on a gravel bike, and I am considering the Giant Revolt for instance. But I think an endurance bike such as the Giant Defy is probably closer to my real life usage most of the time. So my best bet is this one: EDIT I am now allowed to post URLs. But the Giant Defy Advanced 2 2020 model. www giant-bicycles com/us/defy-advanced-2-2020

Any comments or alternatives are welcome.

But I can't test the bike before I buy, how can I make sure to get the size that fits me? My height is 169 cm, that puts me square in the middle of the size S. But I also seem to remember some people writing that Giant Defy sized are little on the large size, so maybe XS is also an option?

Can I do some measurements on myself to find the right size of that specific model?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-20, 10:21 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but I would really recommend a test ride before plopping down 2500 bucks on a new bike. Do you not have an LBS somewhere nearby? Virtually every major mfr. makes an endurance geometry road bike with 105. Personally, I would recommend riding one before you buy. If it doesn't fit and feel good to you, it does not matter how good the reviews are.

Failing that, I have heard that Canyon does have a pretty good return/exchange policy. I cannot personally verify that. however. You might also check into that option, since it would at least give you a path to a bike that ultimately does hopefully fit you.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-20, 10:24 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Do you mean something like this? https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...6190157f07b1a0 - should take you to Competitive Cysclist's fit calculator.
Old 03-21-20, 01:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
There is No way to know if a bike fits you without sitting on it. I use the Competitive Cyclist fit-meter, but still .... I have to actually draw a picture in side elevation of any proposed new frame and then draw a picture of myself---my proportions as measured---to figure out how things might fit (and it has been pretty accurate so far,) But everyone has different proportions .... everybody tells me I need a 58 or 60-cm frame but I usually fit better on a 56 because of my proportions and certain flexibility issues.

If you can spend $2500 on a bike you want to keep for ten years, you can spend $100 to rent a car for the weekend and visit some bike shops for some test rides.

I checked out the Defy a while back---it is a great bike. i think ti fits 30s or 32s, which isn't enough for real dirt, but should be fine for mild off-roading on hard packed-earth roads. Probably someone who owns a modern version can tell you what tires actually fit.

I went with a Fuji Sportif---but they make a CF version called the Gran Fondo or gran Fondo Classico---they used to be every bit as good as the rest but cheaper, but it seems their prices might have gone up.

As for the Defy, I was very close to buying one, so I can sort of recommend it.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-22-20, 05:42 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
If you've been pretty happy with the front end fit of your bike, I would measure its stack and reach.
Compare those numbers to the Defy geometry chart.

Personally I'd be okay with going up to 5mm shorter in the reach of your old bike, due to the longer reach/design of modern disc brake hoods.

The reach between the three smallest sizes seems to be less than 10mm. The stack height however jumps up 20mm or so, for each size.

Defy can take a 35mm or so.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 03-23-20, 07:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I have the Defy and the Revolt, both fantastic bikes. The 2020 Defy can fit 35mm tires, the Revolt can handle 45mm. Geo is similar, the Revolt is a lil longer wheelbase & front center, and lower gearing. If you're not planning to get into serious gravel, then the Defy will prob meet your needs. I absolutely love mine, got the 2020 Advanced 1 in Wine Purple. I have 105 on the Revolt and it's great, shifting is just as smooth as Ultegra. The only real difference (besides a bit of weight) is you have a longer brake lever pull on the 105 vs. Ultegra, but that's not a huge deal. The shifting and braking are still fantastic.

For sizing, I'm 183cm and ride a ML, right in the middle of the recommended range on Giant's chart. Looks like you'd be good on a S. The compact frame geometry and sloping top tube help, imo.
Old 03-23-20, 08:48 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Measurements can be a good guide and starting point, but go to a shop with the Fit Kit.