Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Will STP Be Cancelled Due To COVID-19?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Will STP Be Cancelled Due To COVID-19?

Old 03-06-20, 11:15 AM
  #1  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
Will STP Be Cancelled Due To COVID-19?

I haven't scoured their website recently, but what do people think? Lots of coronavirus problems in WA. A few cases here, but we have only tested, like, nobody thus far. So, we have no clue how many infections in OR. The State epidemiologist says he believes there are probably between 300 and 500 infected people in our state right now.

Sure was looking forward to this.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-06-20, 01:58 PM
  #2  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20,889
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11344 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,483 Posts
I would be more worried about fires (smoke in the air at unhealthy levels) than covid in July.

But nobody knows for sure. All we can really do I guess is hope for the best.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-06-20, 02:25 PM
  #3  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,299
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10945 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I would be more worried about fires (smoke in the air at unhealthy levels) than covid in July.

But nobody knows for sure. All we can really do I guess is hope for the best.
Hmm, we've had a nice spring so far, so I could imagine that could mean problems for the summer.

Yes, I do expect the virus to wane somewhat in the summer.

But, say getting 8000 people together could spell disaster. Cyclists, food service, rest stops, start, finish.

Can the "P" do a quarantine of "S"?
CliffordK is offline  
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-06-20, 02:44 PM
  #4  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,299
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10945 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 552 Posts
I don't believe there is a significant risk from solo cycling. And small group cycling would depend on the group.

However, this is a good point for large group events. Shared cafeteria food, shared eating/meeting spots. Baggage handlers,etc.

STP is only a 2-day event. But, for something like CycleOregon, there are a lot of people involved, and many communal areas. Oh, and the blue box restrooms. I think if one gets an event provided tent, they are mixed up every day.

And, of course, participants from all over the northwest, and even from across the country.
CliffordK is offline  
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-07-20, 12:14 AM
  #5  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20,889
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11344 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,483 Posts
I realized that you asked this in the local PNW forum and not road. With that in mind, I wanted to add a little more info. I don't know that we have a single tested case in Seattle. The nursing home at ground zero is in a suburb, Kirkland. Several in Redmond, MS has everybody working from home who can. There are cases in eastern Washington, not that the STP route goes anywhere near.

The virus is most dangerous to people with cardiovascular disease, diabetics, and the elderly. Which means it's really good to be a cyclist right now, especially if you're reasonably young. That doesn't mean Cascade won't be forced to cancel.

By July testing will be widespread. People who need quarantine will have it.

Finally, it's probably a seasonal virus. There's some biological reasons to believe that, and the vast majority of cases around the world are in winter. It's not spreading explosively in South America. STP is in July.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 03-07-20, 07:46 AM
  #6  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I realized that you asked this in the local PNW forum and not road. With that in mind, I wanted to add a little more info. I don't know that we have a single tested case in Seattle. The nursing home at ground zero is in a suburb, Kirkland. Several in Redmond, MS has everybody working from home who can. There are cases in eastern Washington, not that the STP route goes anywhere near.

The virus is most dangerous to people with cardiovascular disease, diabetics, and the elderly. Which means it's really good to be a cyclist right now, especially if you're reasonably young. That doesn't mean Cascade won't be forced to cancel.

By July testing will be widespread. People who need quarantine will have it.

Finally, it's probably a seasonal virus. There's some biological reasons to believe that, and the vast majority of cases around the world are in winter. It's not spreading explosively in South America. STP is in July.
Very good points. Plus, we will all be outside, not indoors, during the time eveyrone is together. That is a much lower-transmission environment than an enclosed space.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-11-20, 02:09 AM
  #7  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
Welp, Inslee is about to announce a ban on gatherings of 250 persons or more. Looking very grim. No way this thing is all wrapped up in 3-4 months, I do not suspect...

Gonna have to find a another ride. Maybe Oregon won't ulitmately be as bad. Some pretty good rides here, too.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-11-20, 10:59 AM
  #8  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20,889
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11344 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,483 Posts
They also announced the power company won't turn anyone's lights off during the outbreak. A lot of people can't work. You're right that it's looking grim.

Did you buy your ticket already?

Don't give up hope completely yet. There's a lot of reason to think this will be seasonal.

If the route appeals to you more than the crowds, you can do the ride solo. And I can recommend some great, scenic routes if you're open to solo rides. Might even be talked into doing a few of them.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 03-11-20, 03:05 PM
  #9  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,656
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I realized that you asked this in the local PNW forum and not road. With that in mind, I wanted to add a little more info. I don't know that we have a single tested case in Seattle. The nursing home at ground zero is in a suburb, Kirkland. Several in Redmond, MS has everybody working from home who can. There are cases in eastern Washington, not that the STP route goes anywhere near.

The virus is most dangerous to people with cardiovascular disease, diabetics, and the elderly. Which means it's really good to be a cyclist right now, especially if you're reasonably young. That doesn't mean Cascade won't be forced to cancel.

By July testing will be widespread. People who need quarantine will have it.

Finally, it's probably a seasonal virus. There's some biological reasons to believe that, and the vast majority of cases around the world are in winter. It's not spreading explosively in South America. STP is in July.
We got a confirmed hit at Virginia Mason on First Hill from one of the patients from the kirkland medical center visiting the hospital, UWMC(next to the start) had one of the confirmed deaths, and Amazon(SLU) had one confirmation so far all of which are in Seattle proper. I'm still not too worried but I'd expect for there to still be cases come July. The governor just banned events of more than 250 people through march and likely apri which STP would fall under if extended further
redlude97 is offline  
Likes For redlude97:
Old 03-11-20, 03:31 PM
  #10  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
They also announced the power company won't turn anyone's lights off during the outbreak. A lot of people can't work. You're right that it's looking grim.

Did you buy your ticket already?

Don't give up hope completely yet. There's a lot of reason to think this will be seasonal.

If the route appeals to you more than the crowds, you can do the ride solo. And I can recommend some great, scenic routes if you're open to solo rides. Might even be talked into doing a few of them.
Thanks. Yeah, have bought some of my tickets/reservations, but not all. I might just do it anyway...
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-12-20, 01:55 PM
  #11  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,299
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10945 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
By July testing will be widespread. People who need quarantine will have it.

Finally, it's probably a seasonal virus. There's some biological reasons to believe that, and the vast majority of cases around the world are in winter. It's not spreading explosively in South America. STP is in July.
Hopefully.

One of the problems that we have now is that we are 2 months behind with testing. Nobody seems to have a straight answer if and when the USA will begin testing in earnest. April?

So, it is possible that we'll still be picking up undiagnosed cases of pneumonia through June, and perhaps July, so numbers may look like they're still going up when they are actually reaching a plateau. Nonetheless, there could be significant numbers of people requiring isolation into mid-summer.

Perhaps we'll start using reported history of symptoms to help determine infection date and whether it is a lingering infection vs a new infection.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 03-13-20, 08:58 PM
  #12  
surak
Senior Member
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 903

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Giant Contend SL Disc 2, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 74 Posts
Cascade posted on Facebook that they'll make an announcement regarding STP March 20th. One of the things they're working on behind the scenes now is changing the refund policy.
surak is offline  
Likes For surak:
Old 03-17-20, 10:55 AM
  #13  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20,889
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11344 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,483 Posts
It's looking like I couldn't have been more wrong.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 03-17-20, 06:40 PM
  #14  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 07:55 PM
  #15  
surak
Senior Member
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 903

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Giant Contend SL Disc 2, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 74 Posts
From https://cascade.org/rides-and-events...laska-airlines:
STP is still on for July 18-19. Rider safety will always be #1 in our decisions. We are aware that the COVID-19 situation is developing and so we cannot guarantee that this ride will not be postponed. At this time, registration remains open and we are planning on the original date. We recommend that riders review our updated refund policy.

Cascade's comprehensive COVID-19 statement can be found here
surak is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 10:48 PM
  #16  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
Well, they are in a horrible bind financially. I am not a Cascade member and do not know their finances, but this event brings in a huge amount of revenue for them. Losing that could be club-threatening. I got an email from the director today asking for cash donations to Cascade and stating that its survival was in jeopardy.

So, they probably can't cancel it. At least not yet. Refunding could be lethal.

That said, Inslee is a COVID-19 warrior. I personally believe there is zero chance of this ride going off in July. But I guess we will see what happens. Gonna keep training, just in case. I have also considered just doing it myself anyway. I already booked my travel and it is nonrefundable.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-23-20, 05:19 AM
  #17  
Digger6255
Senior Member
 
Digger6255's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rochester,WA
Posts: 78

Bikes: Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
Well, they are in a horrible bind financially. I am not a Cascade member and do not know their finances, but this event brings in a huge amount of revenue for them. Losing that could be club-threatening. I got an email from the director today asking for cash donations to Cascade and stating that its survival was in jeopardy.

So, they probably can't cancel it. At least not yet. Refunding could be lethal.

That said, Inslee is a COVID-19 warrior. I personally believe there is zero chance of this ride going off in July. But I guess we will see what happens. Gonna keep training, just in case. I have also considered just doing it myself anyway. I already booked my travel and it is nonrefundable.
I got the same email asking for a donation. They are in the same boat as many other sporting/entertainment events promoters that are being crippled financially by this virus. I wonder how long they can hold out hope that it will still be able to happen.
Digger6255 is offline  
Old 03-23-20, 01:20 PM
  #18  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger6255 View Post
I got the same email asking for a donation. They are in the same boat as many other sporting/entertainment events promoters that are being crippled financially by this virus. I wonder how long they can hold out hope that it will still be able to happen.
Yeah, I mean, it just hihglights the point that the vast majority of US small businesses and homes are not built to go for 90, dsay, days wiht zero revenue--and stillt meet obligations. When you really look closely, most of this stuff is just held together month-to-month. It is really scary!!!
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-23-20, 08:29 PM
  #19  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,044

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 259 Posts
Redmond Cycling Club is still planning on RAMROD being held on it's usual date. We aren't asking for donations . The club will be fine either way. The main thing we're telling people is to limit their exposure while training. No group rides! Indoors as much as possible.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is online now  
Old 03-28-20, 11:45 AM
  #20  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
Just saw this very interesting decision by Cascade. That is a whole darn lot of cash they just decided to hold onto, irrespective of whether registrants get to do the ride or not... Wonder what the reacition will predominantly be.

https://cascade.org/RefundPolicy
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-28-20, 11:54 AM
  #21  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,299
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10945 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
That is dated 2019, and pertains to individual refunds. I don't think they have made a decision on 2020 yet.

Here is their news and update page:
https://cascade.org/blog/2020/03/cas...ponse-covid-19
CliffordK is offline  
Old 03-28-20, 11:57 AM
  #22  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,299
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10945 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 552 Posts
At this point, we are very early.
We don't know how seasonal the virus will be.

Through some pretty extreme efforts, China has mostly cleared their virus (about 2 months), and is mostly back to business. Yet, Americans don't seem to be willing to allow what we need to do to actually be done. We'd rather see a million die than to take away our "liberties" for a few weeks.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 03-28-20, 12:02 PM
  #23  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
That is dated 2019, and pertains to individual refunds. I don't think they have made a decision on 2020 yet.

Here is their news and update page:
https://cascade.org/blog/2020/03/cas...ponse-covid-19
How interesting. Thank you for pointing that out. They inserted that policy from 2019 in the middle of their description of what they are presently doing/not doing about STP and COVID-19, which is a bit misleading...
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-28-20, 12:52 PM
  #24  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,299
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10945 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
How interesting. Thank you for pointing that out. They inserted that policy from 2019 in the middle of their description of what they are presently doing/not doing about STP and COVID-19, which is a bit misleading...


I see. So, they won't just refund a single rider. But, haven't decided what to do about the ride as a whole.

Registration is still open.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 03-28-20, 04:27 PM
  #25  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 221 Posts
I suppose perhaps they are preparing folks? Maybe? I mean, they are just in such a bind. I certainly am not throwing shade, as the hip kids say, on them for trying to survive this nightmare. Maybe we'll get lucky and this thing will turn around for us...
bpcyclist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.