Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rattle from the rear...

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rattle from the rear...

Old 03-20-20, 03:19 PM
SethB

Bikes: 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rattle from the rear...

I have no idea what it is, my biggest guess is the rear derailleur. It only happens over bumps. The weird thing is when I go and grab the RDR, it is solid as a mountain..... I need some help in what to do/check to narrow this down. It is highly annoying and I just don't think it should be doing that
Old 03-20-20, 03:28 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Cables tapping against the frame?
Old 03-20-20, 03:37 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
chain slap?

I have the same problem with a wide-range gearing setup. It will reduce it if you can shorten the chain a link.
Old 03-20-20, 03:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Always check QR or thru axle tightness, bolt tightness and for anything loose that could make noise.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-20-20, 04:14 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Check for any side-to-side movement in the rear wheel? Maybe the bearings need adjustment.
Old 03-20-20, 11:42 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Tragically, it is a very long list, indeed. I have learned over the years that I am exceptionally not good at correctly guessing where the sound is emanating from. One of my favorite examples of this was the time I was absolutely certain I had some kind of front end/hub clicking occurring. Just positive. It turned out to be coming from the right side of my helmet lining!!!
Old 03-20-20, 11:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A few months ago I had a growly sound from the rear. I took the hub all apart, found a gruesome pit in the cone, started threads here and MTBR about it, figured out what to buy, put it all back and still grglrglr. I finally stopped it... when I removed the reflectior. Alas the shame.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-21-20, 10:15 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Cables tapping against the frame?
Im internally routed back there.. so I don't think so. I wish it were that simple ha!
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
I have the same problem with a wide-range gearing setup. It will reduce it if you can shorten the chain a link.
So its not chainslap, I have a clutch on the RDR, and when the noise happens I can watch the chain and it definitely isn't getting near the frame.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Always check QR or thru axle tightness, bolt tightness and for anything loose that could make noise.
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Check for any side-to-side movement in the rear wheel? Maybe the bearings need adjustment.
I did have a little wobble but I fixed that. I was so hoping this was the cause of my noise, but alas it wasn't
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Tragically, it is a very long list, indeed. I have learned over the years that I am exceptionally not good at correctly guessing where the sound is emanating from. One of my favorite examples of this was the time I was absolutely certain I had some kind of front end/hub clicking occurring. Just positive. It turned out to be coming from the right side of my helmet lining!!!
Oof, long list = never ending list lol. So funny that it was your helmet xD I will have to keep looking I guess. Maybe I'll try to rig up a camera to watch everything back there as I drive. I don't have any GoPros, just my phone and a mount tho
Old 03-21-20, 10:22 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Internally routed cables have been known to make rattling type noise. I have a CF framed bike with internal routing and I am pretty sure that is the source of some rattling sounds that I get at times, especially bumps.
Old 03-21-20, 10:27 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Remove your seatpost and turn the bike upside down. You might have something that got in there that you can shake out.
Old 03-21-20, 10:29 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Years ago I had a rattle from a not fully torqued cassette lock ring. If you tighten cassettes by hand you will be
surprised by how much more torque is needed when you measure with a torque wrench. My bike with a
Di2 internal wiring has a clank on bumps from the junction connector inside the down tube despite 5 centering
clips. Finding noise sources on a singleton is annoying enough, but wait til you try it on a tandem.
Old 03-21-20, 10:48 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I had an idea... I went for a ride just now and when I started to hear the rattle I put the heal of my foot onto the derailleur and I still heard the rattle... My idea said to myself "If I put force on the RDR, it should stop it from rattling right?" So that should eliminate the RDR as the culprit right?

I may just go ahead and put my other RDR on to completely eliminate it tho. Otherwise it will be time to take apart the free hub body and inspect everything.
Old 03-21-20, 10:50 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Internally routed cables have been known to make rattling type noise. I have a CF framed bike with internal routing and I am pretty sure that is the source of some rattling sounds that I get at times, especially bumps.
I will take a look at the cables and see if anything feels loose.
Originally Posted by curbtender
Remove your seatpost and turn the bike upside down. You might have something that got in there that you can shake out.
Hmm. I will give it a try. It is a FS MTB. The rattle definitely seems to come from the back. But hey im down for trying anything, it is so annoying lol
Originally Posted by sch
Years ago I had a rattle from a not fully torqued cassette lock ring. If you tighten cassettes by hand you will be
surprised by how much more torque is needed when you measure with a torque wrench. My bike with a
Di2 internal wiring has a clank on bumps from the junction connector inside the down tube despite 5 centering
clips. Finding noise sources on a singleton is annoying enough, but wait til you try it on a tandem.
Oh hey.. I did have the cogs off not too long ago... Maybe I didn't tighten them enough. I will take a look!
Old 03-21-20, 02:08 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
loose cassette. tighten the locknut
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 03-21-20, 03:13 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
loose cassette. tighten the locknut
Yep. I really cranked down on it with the breaker bar... I think it may be too tight and be a pain to get off....... But I do think the cassette or free hub is shot. Here's a vid as to why I think that. Either that or I am missing a spacer, but I don't think the pressure from the other cogs is what keeps them still.

EDIT: The rattle seems to have gone away, maybe cranking on it did the trick. Will definitely have a hard time getting it off though. Will need to extend the chain whip handle to give me more leverage

Last edited by SethB; 03-21-20 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 08:31 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rattle is still there.. anyone take a look at the vid? Is my cassette shot or the freehub?
Old 03-22-20, 08:39 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I would say you are missing a spacer behind the cassette if you tighten all the way and you can shift the cogs back and forth like that.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-22-20, 08:44 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

+1
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-23-20, 08:03 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trailangel
I would say you are missing a spacer behind the cassette if you tighten all the way and you can shift the cogs back and forth like that.
Hmm. I thought the splines on the freehub were responsible for the rotational movement, and the spacers handled translational movement? So the spacers would keep it from sliding in and out on the freehub.

I did look online at a new cassette and couldn't see any additional spacers on it that I don't have. Either way, I don't have it and the LBS forgot to put it on when I had my freehub replaced.. I do have some plastic I can make one out of though, I will go this route.
Old 03-23-20, 08:33 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I looked up a new one, counted 6 spacers, went outside and counted 6 spacers.. I don't think I am missing any. I'm going to disassemble the cassette and see if the splines on the freehub are worn or if the cassette is worn.
Old 03-23-20, 08:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'm not sure why the movement you show in the video would be what you are hearing while going over bumps. Chain slap or cable slap still seems more likely. Any seat bag with straps or zippers loose hitting the frame? I had a click that matched my pedal cadence that I puzzled on for months. Found out it was the metal zipper pull of my seat bag hitting the rear brake caliper.

Got a friend with same size wheel and cassette that'll let you swap temporarily?

Last edited by Iride01; 03-23-20 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 10:16 AM
curbtender

I'm not sure this is the problem, but the shimano 10 speed 6600 has a taller groove for use on their aluminum freehub. Any chance you are putting a 6600 cassette on a 6700 freehub?
Old 03-23-20, 11:08 AM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm not sure why the movement you show in the video would be what you are hearing while going over bumps. Chain slap or cable slap still seems more likely. Any seat bag with straps or zippers loose hitting the frame? I had a click that matched my pedal cadence that I puzzled on for months. Found out it was the metal zipper pull of my seat bag hitting the rear brake caliper.

Got a friend with same size wheel and cassette that'll let you swap temporarily?
Sadly I have nothing else on my bike, so rules out straps, zippers, etc. I have checked the cables, all is good there. Nice and snug and won't go anywhere. Chain slap I ruled out by wrapping the part of the frame near the chain with a small towel. Sound is still there.

I'm also not sure why this movement is causing the noise, but I don't notice is as much when I am in the bigger cogs.. And somewhat makes sense, if the bumps rattle the cogs, they can move rotationally as well as translationally, the latter being the louder of the two.

Also, no friend to borrow from

Originally Posted by curbtender
I'm not sure this is the problem, but the shimano 10 speed 6600 has a taller groove for use on their aluminum freehub. Any chance you are putting a 6600 cassette on a 6700 freehub?
Well, I did need a new freehub, and I didn't notice this till after they put it on. The LBS didn't have a new one, they had a used one they put on (this one is in WAY better condition than mine was.. ha.. oops). So I do wonder if there may be some inconsistencies with the two? I never had this freehub off so I will be taking the cassette off and inspecting each individual cog on the freehub for play and fitment.

When I am finished working today I will go out and take it apart. What is really concerning is how tight the lock ring is, yet there is that play. I wonder if I am bottoming out with the lock ring somewhere preventing me from fully tightening down on the cassette.
Old 03-23-20, 03:22 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by SethB
When I am finished working today I will go out and take it apart. What is really concerning is how tight the lock ring is, yet there is that play. I wonder if I am bottoming out with the lock ring somewhere preventing me from fully tightening down on the cassette.
When you take it apart, check to see if there is a 1mm thick spacer behind the cassette. These are supplied with Shimano cassettes and are needed to prevent the sort of play you are experiencing even with your lock ring very tight
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-23-20, 03:30 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
I had this one time and was missing a spacer. It would only rattle when I was in the higher (smaller cog) gears.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.