Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Shelter in place?

Old 03-22-20, 02:15 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Shelter in place?

It's hard to know exactly what restrictions the state of Oregon will impose on Monday 3/23. I'm hoping individual bike rides from home using proper distancing will be allowed. Apparently in California, no outdoor activity except for essentials - grocery shopping, pharmacy, etc. is allowed? I'll get out today before the rain begins in the Willamette Valley tomorrow. It could be awhile before anyone in Oregon will be able to get outside. Hopefully we'll have a clear directive to go by on Monday.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/shelter-in-place-stay-home-faq-policy-coronavirus-spread/
Old 03-24-20, 11:47 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Update

Here's a summary of what KGW8 reports is current expectations to comply with the directive:

You may exercise outdoors, but stay at least 6 feet apart. Don't gather in groups, get together with friends, make unnecessary trips, etc

Failure to comply is punishable as a Class C misdemeanor which may result in up to 30 days in jail and/or a fine up to $1250.
Old 03-24-20, 01:06 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Got out for a nice, easy 30 yesterday late afternoon, in keeping with the part of the order that permits cycling (I was alone). PDX was a total ghost town. Like, zero vehicles on I-5 at 5 pm. Just bizarre. Like a Stephen King movie.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-25-20, 09:33 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Here's a summary of what KGW8 reports is current expectations to comply with the directive:

You may exercise outdoors, but stay at least 6 feet apart. Don't gather in groups, get together with friends, make unnecessary trips, etc

Failure to comply is punishable as a Class C misdemeanor which may result in up to 30 days in jail and/or a fine up to $1250.
Straight from Brown's mouth:

Ride your bike by yourself. I wouldn't want to be behind anyone for at least 100 yards, and riding 6 feet apart side-by-side would inhibit traffic.
Old 03-28-20, 07:30 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm very grateful for where I live, just west of Falls City. I'm surrounded on three sides by industrial timberland with nothing between me and the coast but forest. So I can "shelter" in a very big place.
Likes For enigmaT120:
Old 04-09-20, 09:35 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'm doing solo rides in the countryside. I usually take my car out of town, then ride back roads. I almost never see more than 2-3 other riders, plus, the car traffic is almost nonexistent.
Likes For Shifty:
Old 04-10-20, 11:09 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I get out for solo rides once or twice a week.I try to stay off MUPs, better known locally as "COVID Alleys". Country roads are fine. The lack of public restrooms is a bit tough, but there are always green restrooms to be found. I carry my food and necessary water with me and try not to stop at any public place.
Old 04-19-20, 09:28 PM
Emmerthouse

Bikes: 2011 Pinarello FP2 road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I havent seen huge changes really. Lots of bicyclists still out and about. Traffic (thankfully) is lighter. I see lots of lines at stores outside but I don't shop much so I dont go inside very often.
Old 04-24-20, 08:30 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm in the 'burbs of Vancouver and noticing a LOT more bikes out and around although still lots of cars on the road. My gf and I are out pretty much every day, hiking or biking, grabbing coffee and sitting out in the sunshine. We're in our 70's but not fearful. Bike is my transportation so I run all my errands on it. Incidentally, stats for today in the province of BC (pop. 5.1m): 96 hospitalized, of which 41 are in intensive care. 98 deaths so far. Most of the deaths are in care homes.
Old 04-28-20, 06:37 PM
maallyn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A few bicycles out and about here in Bellingham. Physical distancing seems to be well kept. I have seen Bellingham Police remind folks to maintain physical distancing a very few times. Perhaps fewer times than fingers on one hand.

Here is a video where I show off a bicycle lane and a new park in Bellingham. Traffic was very little and distancing was well kept.

Luv you all!
Mark Allyn
Bellingham, Washington
Old 08-21-20, 11:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I Wish They Would, instead they're all driving to the coast. This was Thursday, not even the weekend.. backed up for a mile
only broken up by 1 stoplight At the foot of the bridge approach. this is a 5 way intersection

Old 08-21-20, 07:25 PM
mtnbud

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I Wish They Would, instead they're all driving to the coast. This was Thursday, not even the weekend.. backed up for a mile
only broken up by 1 stoplight At the foot of the bridge approach. this is a 5 way intersection

The coast has been a mess. I was in Seaside a month ago and people were packed in like sardines making little effort to stay socially spaced. I think we all have to understand the importance of our choices right now.