Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the first thing you should upgrade on a road bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the first thing you should upgrade on a road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 04:51 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had hoped that chain would look better on the big screen. Alas....
I know, it's no better in person LOL. I have had a new SR chain on my desk for 6 months but the cheapskate in me won't let me open the package til this one is worn out. That and the SR chain doesn't use a quick link.
Old 09-02-23, 07:05 AM
Khp3655

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found two things that I upgraded that made a real difference in my ride. A shorter carbon stem (I'm 5' 6") and a carbon seat post. Both made me feel good about reducing the bikes weight (yes, I know it was just a little), but each carbon component added just enough flex to reduce the impact of the bumps on my butt and wrists. They are also easy to change out and not too expensive. Tires and wheels can make a difference too, but to get a "worth it" upgrade out of the wheels you have to spend pretty big $.

Proper tire inflation for the rider's weight and tire size also can make a big difference.

Other than that the best upgrade is getting a better bike.
Old 09-02-23, 07:12 AM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Unless the purchaser is very lucky to buy a bike with high-quality tires and a saddle that fits and is comfortable, these two items will generally make the most difference in rider comfort, which ends up being a critical factor in how long and how far the bike can be ridden without getting saddle sores, or some other malady.

My big problem nowadays is that the only saddle that I find comfortable is the old Avocet Air O2 Racing model. I have this saddle on all of my bikes. These saddles have not been made for 15 or 20 years, and finding used ones in decent condition has been a big challenge. I found one in the Pacific Northwest in NOS condition, but by the time I inquired about it, it was sold. Another very lightly used one I purchased from someone in Japan never showed up at my house. I did see one on eBay a while back, and snapped it up even though it was not in as good condition as I would have preferred.