Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No Wave For You

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 10:53 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
For what it’s worth when I see someone wearing highly visible, reflective clothing I write them off as a non-threat. I size everyone up on the road, and high-vis screams slow. Lights are super obnoxious, but fast people use them too.
Old 05-09-23, 04:23 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronM46
You, sir, are the type of person I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire. How pompous can someone get!! You will rot for your ignorance of sensitivity! I have never felt such disdain for someone. You are the worst!
There's quite a bit more left in me.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-09-23, 04:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
For what it’s worth when I see someone wearing highly visible, reflective clothing I write them off as a non-threat. I size everyone up on the road, and high-vis screams slow. Lights are super obnoxious, but fast people use them too.

Non-threat? You're threatened by fast riders?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-09-23, 05:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronM46
You, sir, are the type of person I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire. How pompous can someone get!! You will rot for your ignorance of sensitivity! I have never felt such disdain for someone. You are the worst!
This isn't very nice. It's disappointing you are allowed to continue posting like this.
Old 05-09-23, 05:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This isn't very nice. It's disappointing you are allowed to continue posting like this.

I just assumed he was joking, but...?
Old 05-09-23, 05:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
He's got some history. Another cycling genius unappreciated in his time.
Old 05-09-23, 06:17 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I strive to ride like it is 1980 and shun as much of what happened in cycling and in society in general that came after that year as I can.
Agreed. I'm trying to find a bracket that attaches to the fork of my Claud Butler and you can then hang a light on it. Probably a dime a dozen in the UK but hens teeth here in US.

Old 05-09-23, 06:48 AM
DaleDee
Pedalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Your instructor steered you wrong. There may be times that using your high beams is recommended. Doing so on a narrow 2 lane roads with minimal separation between vehicles can adversely affect motorists vision.
Three different instructors and it was not they who made the rule. And it was during daylight, not at night. If I was still riding a motorcycle, I would still run on high beam during daylight because of drivers coming the other way who pull out to pass and come straight at me. Yes, that did happen.
Old 05-09-23, 09:43 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Lights are super obnoxious, but fast people use them too.
Many fast riders use lights, including several who race for a living:

Be Bright Wear a Light

Old 05-09-23, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Angle of the lights might make a difference too. In this video my son made of the Century ride the city put on last Saturday, some of the footage is from a camera on the front of my bike. The camera was down below my handlebars about the height of the top of the head tube. I noticed that even the flash from the cyclist I was following in a paceline seems annoying in the video, yet for me on the bike it wasn't glaring, distracting or annoying at any time while I was behind. (It was misty for the first part. So apologies for the wet camera lens. It clears up in the last half)

What was really annoying to me during the ride was the lights on some people's bikes that were mounted on their chain seat stays that probably were actually angled up instead of parallel to the ground. As were a few others mounted on seat bags or seat post. But more often than not the seat post mounted lights were not an issue.

And I'd think having the lights aimed parallel to the ground will be better as you want the person behind you to notice them far enough away to avoid you safely, not just see them as a flash briefly at the moment they run into you.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-09-23 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-09-23, 11:05 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Who really knows around here? Though I have to admit his "I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire" was pretty funny.
Old 05-09-23, 03:20 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I did too. Even if they weren't joking, my last remaining feeling isn't hurt.
Old 05-09-23, 03:24 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by DaleDee
Three different instructors and it was not they who made the rule. And it was during daylight, not at night. If I was still riding a motorcycle, I would still run on high beam during daylight because of drivers coming the other way who pull out to pass and come straight at me. Yes, that did happen.
As a bicyclist, motorcyclist and auto driver (why don't we call ourselves automobilists) I am telling you that in certain circumstances running brights during the day can negatively affect the vision of oncoming road users. If I am coming toward you on a two lane road, do you want me looking away to protect my vision? That's part of the point of the OP.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 05-09-23 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 07:08 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I was a little upset with the comment about asphalt-colored hair. After thinking about it a while, I figured OP meant the color of freshly laid asphalt. With that caveat, my hair is also asphalt colored, just that it's the color of asphalt that's been around (ahem) about as long as I have.

Blinking lights in the daytime? Probably not me.
Old 05-10-23, 07:01 AM
DaleDee
Pedalist

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
As a bicyclist, motorcyclist and auto driver (why don't we call ourselves automobilists) I am telling you that in certain circumstances running brights during the day can negatively affect the vision of oncoming road users. If I am coming toward you on a two lane road, do you want me looking away to protect my vision? That's part of the point of the OP.
In daylight, you won't have to look away; just keep looking ahead. You are entitled to your point of view, as I am to mine.

Perhaps I should explain why I maintain my view about the use of a motorcycle main beam during the daylight hours. First of all, motorcycles on main beam on a public highway, are not comparable to bicycles with bright lights on a narrow cycle path. Also, it's not unreasonable for a motorcycle to be traveling at 50 mph on a public two-lane road where permitted. It's also not unreasonable for a vehicle coming the other way to be traveling at 50 mph. The total combined speed is 100 mph. The sooner a car driver sees a motorcycle approaching, the better it is for the rider. A low beam doesn't cut it.

My motorcycling experience included twenty-nine years of riding motorcycles on both sides of the Atlantic in literally every kind of weather. It includes a serious crash when a Vespa rider, coming the other way, turned in front of me at a road junction. That resulted in totaling both my motorcycle and his scooter. It also resulted in my losing six months off work, and one year before I could finally move without pain. That kind of thing never leaves one's mind, especially when riding a motorcycle on any public road.

When the opportunity to attend the motorcycle experienced rider course came, I jumped at it. It teaches defensive riding among other things. When the instructors told us to use main beam during daylight, they said it may annoy some drivers but our safety is more important than their annoyance. In all the years I rode on main beam, not one driver flashed me. I certainly noticed motorcycles on main beam coming the other way, so it stands to reason that car drivers noticed them, too. I was never annoyed by another motorcycle's high beam during daylight hours but, apparently, you are one of those drivers/riders who are annoyed. My right to be as safe as possible supersedes your right to not be annoyed.

One of the first questions the instructors asked us was: "Is motorcycling safe?" The answer is: "No." That also applies to cycling; you can make it as safe as possible by taking professional instruction, but it can't guarantee you won't have an accident. Using a main beam on a motorcycle is one of the ways of making it as safe as possible.
Old 05-10-23, 08:21 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
^ This.

The current fashion of dark and muted earth-toned jersey colors seems just so dumb. Not for me--I seek out only the brightest, eye-popping kits.

I was wearing this old Climb to Kaiser jersey with Team USA bibs the other day, and a guy on the roadside was pointing and laughing, waving his arms and shouting "Ole, ole, ole":

Laugh all you want, roadside guy. At least you saw me.
Getting the Finisher jersey alone for that ride is a gnarly accomplishment.
Old 05-10-23, 08:48 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by DaleDee
In daylight, you won't have to look away; just keep looking ahead. You are entitled to your point of view, as I am to mine.
Do you realize almost all bicycle lights spill light spherically? An oncoming cyclist with a cheap POS 2000 lumen light is more than annoying and when flashing, it is utterly disorientating.

These30 dollar flashers are mostly on low budget wanker's bikes, but YMMW
Old 05-10-23, 09:19 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Getting the Finisher jersey alone for that ride is a gnarly accomplishment.
Climb to Kaiser is quite the sufferfest. It seems it's never not scorching hot on that day. But the route is great (except for the valley portion).

The ride is really tough when you get it in your head to go for a first place finish. I thought I had the lead going into the Huntington Lake stop (6955 feet elevation), but the guy there said there was one rider ahead of me. How far ahead? "About 20 minutes". Poof, there was no way to make up that much time!

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-10-23, 09:45 AM
DaleDee
Pedalist

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Do you realize almost all bicycle lights spill light spherically? An oncoming cyclist with a cheap POS 2000 lumen light is more than annoying and when flashing, it is utterly disorientating.

These30 dollar flashers are mostly on low budget wanker's bikes, but YMMW
I wasn't talking about bicycle lights. I was talking about motorcycle main beam during daylight hours.
Old 05-10-23, 01:15 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Many fast riders use lights, including several who race for a living:

Be Bright Wear a Light
Agreed, I dislike riding behind lights, but my point was that seeing lights on a bike isn't a clue that the rider is slow. High viz clothing, which I have no issue with, is a clue that the rider isn't going to be going fast.

That being said, I cannot help but wonder if that cyclist on Canada road, Lester, who got smashed by a car right after that hill before the water temple was using a light and if it could have made a difference if he did. Hate victim blaming questions like this, especially as someone who often goes sans helmet, but yeah its been on my mind recently.
Old 05-10-23, 01:17 PM
LarrySellerz

Non-threat? You're threatened by fast riders?
Yes. I dont like being passed, especially because im usually on my "home turf" and riding for 30 minutes or less.
Old 05-10-23, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yes. I dont like being passed, especially because im usually on my "home turf" and riding for 30 minutes or less.

Are you going to go nuts when someone in hi-viz passes you?

I don't get passed a lot, but I've never noticed there being any color correlation. Maybe it's a regional thing.
Old 05-10-23, 02:46 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
This sounds like a personal issue. Why would you care if someone passes you? Is your ego really that fragile?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 05-11-23, 08:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Lombard
This sounds like a personal issue. Why would you care if someone passes you? Is your ego really that fragile?

Cat 6 is harmless. Probably motivates him to put more effort into it, so it might even be a good thing. I just thought the word "threat" was funny in this context.

I don't think Larry is unusual in this context--I don't like being passed much, and will sometimes use it as incentive to pour it on. I've also been on the other side of it where I've made up a gigantic head start the other guy had, passed them, stayed ahead of them for a few miles, and then watch as they suddenly do a sprint past me, turn off and double over panting. I find those ones pretty funny because they think we were actually racing when I've obviously been going much faster just cruising than them for many miles. Good for them for using it as fuel for a big interval at the end.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-11-23 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-11-23, 09:37 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I don't like being passed much, and will sometimes use it as incentive to pour it on.
I no longer care when someone passes, but I used to play this game:

I would wait until the passer had a lead of about 100 meters, then I'd chase. I often could reel them in, especially if there was an uphill. My ride buddies would egg me on to give chase. "Forget it Terry, that guys way too fast. You'll never catch him."

Nowadays, with all the structured training, I just keep doing my pace and let folks pass. Or maybe I'm just too slow to give chase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.