Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Discussion thread for Tour de France : Unchained | Official teaser | Netflix

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Discussion thread for Tour de France : Unchained | Official teaser | Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 03:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Would you consider punching yourself in the face for several hours to be an athletic or a deeply trained skill ?
What does that have to do with cycling?

EDIT: If you don't believe bike racers are athletes, it would seem that your understanding about bike racers is on par with your understanding of bike racing. You have a lot to learn about both.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-12-23 at 04:17 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 06-12-23, 04:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,447 Times in 2,769 Posts
Now I'm truly confused. If cycling doesn't require athleticism or skill, seems almost anyone who is interested could be competent. I think showing up on BF would be evidence of interest but it's obvious cycling competence doesn't always follow.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-12-23, 05:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Now I'm truly confused. If cycling doesn't require athleticism or skill, seems almost anyone who is interested could be competent. I think showing up on BF would be evidence of interest but it's obvious cycling competence doesn't always follow.
It helps if you know how to sit on a bike saddle.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-12-23, 05:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Koyote
It helps if you know how to sit on a bike saddle.
It's the same as a beach chair, right?
Old 06-12-23, 05:17 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Eric F
It's the same as a beach chair, right?
I guess I’m just not very thoughtful. I’ve been riding bikes for about 55 years – shoot, I guess it’s longer than that now – and I’ve never once had to think about where to put my ass.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-12-23, 05:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I guess I’m just not very thoughtful. I’ve been riding bikes for about 55 years – shoot, I guess it’s longer than that now – and I’ve never once had to think about where to put my ass.
I'm betting no one else wants to think about where you put your ass, either
Old 06-12-23, 05:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What does that have to do with cycling?

EDIT: If you don't believe bike racers are athletes, it would seem that your understanding about bike racers is on par with your understanding of bike racing. You have a lot to learn about both.
Cut off its food supply.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-23, 02:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
to be fair, the grand tours (gt's) have cut back a little on some of the mileage. the vuelta, markedly, tends to go for shorter, harder stages. the tour de france waffles between semi-humane and ridiculous now vs simply ridiculous in the past and the giro seems to go with slightly shorter stages but still little consideration for cyclist well-being/safety on any given stage.
Old 06-13-23, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Would you consider punching yourself in the face for several hours to be an athletic or a deeply trained skill ?

​​​​​​Do you consider asking totally irrelevant and inept rhetorical questions to be an intellectual debate skill?

​​​​​You're completely missing the point, the skill is both in their ability to ride at a very high level AND to sustain that ability over weeks of riding under conditions you couldn't handle for an hour.

BTW, are you claiming professional boxers aren't actually athetes because anyone can throw a punch?

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-13-23 at 05:15 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-13-23, 06:17 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It’s why you can still find The Lawrence Welk Show reruns on TV.

Fun fact: Welk was from Strasburg, ND. I’ve seen the bed he born in, so I’ve got that going for me.
Favorite Welk quote, explaining to a newly hired guitar player how to fit in on stage:

"Look like you're having fun. But don't."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-13-23, 06:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Favorite Welk quote, explaining to a newly hired guitar player how to fit in on stage:

"Look like you're having fun. But don't."
We stayed in Strasburg during a supported ride around ND. The homestead Welk grew up on is preserved as a museum. The house was made out of sod and paneled. We got a tour from a woman who built up the announcement that she was a niece of his.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-23, 06:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
Nope.

But punching you in the face might qualify as a team sport.

<--- winkie of absolution
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-13-23, 09:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Would you consider this excellent offer on a property you own but instead of paying for it all year long you pay for it for just a little bit of time with some other people and all of you get to enjoy it in your own time. To get a piece of property like this you would normally have to be a millionaire but for a meager $23,500 per year you can live like a king in a Del Boca Vista Dream Vacation Platinum Elite Club Mansionette.

Now I know what you are thinking, isn't this just a timeshare, I saw an article on AskJeeves saying they were bad, well my friend this is not a timeshare. This is a true investment into your future, vacation to end all vacations but instead of having to pay for it all year long and deal with all the upkeep and maintenance when you aren't using it you share that with a few other people and they also get to use it. So you get all the benefits of that mansionette you have always dreamed of without being Bill Gates or Elon Musk. They teach you in school that sharing is caring well if you really cared you would invest in your future at the Del Boca Vista Dream Vacation Platinum Elite Club where sharing isn't just polite it is part of the dream.
Old 06-14-23, 08:44 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I am currently reading George Hincapie’s book, The Loyal Lieutenant, and it was confirmed why pro-cyclists got into doping. It was very simple, if you didn’t, you couldn’t compete. George wrestled with it for some time and was killing himself to even finish, where he used to be a top finisher, and decided that either you do it or you give up on your dreams and career. When people have so much invested in a very competitive career, taking the moral high ground and walking away, just is not as easy at it is to judge from the outside.
I came away with the same opinion after reading this, Hamilton's and what others have written. If you wanted to be a pro cyclist, you doped. If you didn't want to dope, get a different profession. A choice I'm glad I never had to make. I can understand why people are against doping, period. But their criticism is rightly directed at the entire sport. They are naive if they think that a single non-doper could have any success or even make a team.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-14-23, 08:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
The TdF is analogous to running 25 consecutive marathons though all sorts of weather conditions (blistering heat, torrential rain, freezing temps) climbing over unbelievably steep mountain passes while enduring levels of pain that would make people quit on the first stage. They may look like pansies in their tight clothing, but they endure hardships day after day that most professionals in “real” sports would walk away from in a heartbeat. I’d like to see you ride 5 centuries in a row with a cracked rib. You obviously have a lot to learn about pro-cycling.
I'll disagree only in a detail, wear on the body. Cycling certainly is 3 weeks of consecutive marathons in terms of dedication, intelligence (nutrition, recovery, etc.), training and fitness. But there's no way one could do anything close to that running. Too much stress on the bones and joints. Hiking, even strenuous hiking and mountaineering, yes, but not running. Don't know about swimming. Cycling applies the wheel for less stress on the joints and bones.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-14-23, 09:02 PM
Koyote

I am currently reading George Hincapie’s book, The Loyal Lieutenant, and it was confirmed why pro-cyclists got into doping. It was very simple, if you didn’t, you couldn’t compete. George wrestled with it for some time and was killing himself to even finish, where he used to be a top finisher, and decided that either you do it or you give up on your dreams and career. When people have so much invested in a very competitive career, taking the moral high ground and walking away, just is not as easy at it is to judge from the outside
Originally Posted by Camilo
I came away with the same opinion after reading this, Hamilton's and what others have written. If you wanted to be a pro cyclist, you doped. If you didn't want to dope, get a different profession. A choice I'm glad I never had to make. I can understand why people are against doping, period. But their criticism is rightly directed at the entire sport. They are naive if they think that a single non-doper could have any success or even make a team.
I think the perception is a bit slanted by the fact that we're only get the dopers' side of the story. I'm betting that there were some cyclists who had to "get a different profession," or who simply didn't thrive in the pro peloton, because they didn't cheat. If one of those guys wrote a book about how much that sucked, about how it felt to work so hard and still get beat by cheaters, then maybe people like Hincapie and Hamilton wouldn't seem as sympathetic.
Old 06-14-23, 11:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 5,651 Times in 2,924 Posts
I think the perception is a bit slanted by the fact that we're only get the dopers' side of the story. I'm betting that there were some cyclists who had to "get a different profession," or who simply didn't thrive in the pro peloton, because they didn't cheat. If one of those guys wrote a book about how much that sucked, about how it felt to work so hard and still get beat by cheaters, then maybe people like Hincapie and Hamilton wouldn't seem as sympathetic.
Good point. The point Hincapie and Hamilton made was that there was no way possible one could compete without doping. They were champions in their own right but when you can only make the grupetto and are only concerned about beating the time cutoffs while killing yourself while people they knew were far less athletically blessed and dedicated than them were now regularly cleaning their clocks, the choice was quit or give up their dreams. There may have been principled riders that quit because they refused to dope but it was none of the top competitors. If you find a book that chronicles a disillusioned rider that was competitive prior to doping entered the sport, I would like to read it.

Old 06-15-23, 07:08 AM
Koyote

Good point. The point Hincapie and Hamilton made was that there was no way possible one could compete without doping.
Yes, that is the crux of their argument. By arguing that everyone in the pro peloton was doping, they are trying to recast themselves not as cheaters, but as victims -- 'we had to do it!'

These guys are all so self-serving and manipulative.
Old 06-15-23, 07:21 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 945 Posts
Why is the GC leader held in higher regard than the total points winner?
This has always puzzled me. I would think it is more difficult to win more individual stages than overall time?
Old 06-15-23, 07:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Cut off its food supply.

Pfft, that never happens around here, the flame is too alluring for the moths to ignore.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-15-23, 08:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
This has always puzzled me. I would think it is more difficult to win more individual stages than overall time?
Points are for sprinters. A racer could win several stages and have just one bad day and be completely out of the GC. The GC requires staying near the top every day, at least staying close to the other GC contenders.

The biggest prize is for the GC.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-15-23, 08:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
The points classification and other things going on in the Tours and Grand Tours are other competitions within the races that were added at later dates. The GC competition stems from the original historical way to win the race which essentially is the first one to the finish line thousands of miles later is the winner. But this comes from the days when those races went on 24 hours a day non-stop until someone finally crossed that finish line.

Today they don't race all day and all night long. So the race is broken down into stages and times determined and added up for all the stages. In fact, a cyclist can actually win the GC for the race and never win a stage. And it's been done many times.

As mentioned, the points competition is generally something sprinters are interested in. And it is one of the newer competitions added to the Tours and Grand Tours. It's not often that the GC person can also be the points leader. Individual cyclists and their team decide who is going for which competition. Some teams have the talent on them to have several going for multiple things. Other's might have only the talent for GC or for just points. And sometimes that goal for the team changes as crashes or sickness happen and riders have to drop out.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-15-23 at 08:47 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-15-23, 08:54 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
What's already been said and:
-GC riders need to be strong in every phase of the race. They typically finish just behind the sprinters, and some (like the Lance we are not allowed to mention) had decent sprints but kept themselves safe from the mayhem. They can climb with or better than the people going for the KOM points competitions. They can TT with or better than the best TT specialists.

The GC guy may finish 5 seconds behind the sprinter on a flat stage, but the sprinter may lose and hour on a single mountain stage. Sometimes the sprint point leader can't even make the time cuts on the mountain stages and gets booted from the tour.
Old 06-15-23, 09:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

At the heart of it, the TDF is a race, starting with Stage 1 (or prologue), and finishing in Paris. The rider who finishes first is the winner. In the format of a stage race, finishing first means lowest overall time (GC).

Although the Points Classification winner will probably win at least one stage, it's possible to win that overall competition without a stage win (Erik Zabel, for example). There are points awarded for the stage finish, as well as at intermediate sprint points along the route of each stage.

Likewise, the Mountain Classification is determined by points at the summit of categorized climbs along the route. Climb classifications are 1 (most difficult) - 4 (least difficult), and HC ("hors categorie" - beyond category). Theoretically, this award goes to the best climber, but in reality, it generally goes to a good climber who is not a top GC contender.
Old 06-15-23, 11:02 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Yes, that is the crux of their argument. By arguing that everyone in the pro peloton was doping, they are trying to recast themselves not as cheaters, but as victims -- 'we had to do it!'

These guys are all so self-serving and manipulative.
You are making the athlete take the brunt of the blame.

Grand scheme of things - the team managers facilitated and probably mandated it, the team sponsors ultimately paid for it - and you can't tell me they didn't know... you can't tell me the UCI didn't know, well you can, but I won't believe it.

People on all levels of the sport, from management to doctors, to team members, to the riders to the bike mechanics not only knew - participated in this "cheating". All of them. Team cooks used to hold night watch to make sure the doped athlete didn't die.

And every sport, pro - college - amateur - Olympic - ALL of them were ripe with doping during that time. And the athlete was just the end user.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.