Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do weather forecasting websites hype up the chances of rain for clickbait?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do weather forecasting sites hype up the chances of rain for clickbait?
Yes
45.71%
No
54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Do weather forecasting websites hype up the chances of rain for clickbait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 12:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,003 Times in 2,672 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Does you comma key occasionally malfunction?
It was two of them but they were both in a coma but also blends in with the surroundings so I guess you could call it a comma comma coma chameleon.
Old 06-20-23, 01:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,003 Times in 2,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
My mom is DEAD. Ok, not really, but I just said that to make you sound like you sounded in your post....
My mom is actually dead!

Originally Posted by bikelif3
veganbikes

Spliced quotes. Didn't hit the mark..
I don't know I think they hit the mark quite nicely, Darrell Hammond as Sean Connery and Will Ferell as Alex Trebek was a pretty big hit for SNL. Not to mention Norm MacDonald as Burt "Turd Ferguson" Reynolds... It was a classic recurring sketch and even Alex himself liked it.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, I guess comedy isn't your thing?
Old 06-20-23, 01:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Whenever I fly, I always pack a bomb in my luggage. I do this, because the probability of there being two bombs on an airplane is extremely small.
I once bought an old house, and subsequently found that it'd been hit by a tornado in 1930 -- some years, on the anniversary, the local paper would run a photo of the damage, as it was apparently the ONLY house that had been hit by the tornado.

I always felt pretty safe in that house. After all, it was pre-disastered.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-20-23, 01:25 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
And now something completely different...
I mostly use the lameass app on my iPhone that came with it since new. It seems to continually, for years, ignore the concept of "localized probability." I am in the rain shadow of the Cascades and most of the rain predictions for me are totally unbelievable. Accuweather is no better, virtually identical.
Old 06-20-23, 01:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't know I think they hit the mark quite nicely, Darrell Hammond as Sean Connery and Will Ferell as Alex Trebek was a pretty big hit for SNL. Not to mention Norm MacDonald as Burt "Turd Ferguson" Reynolds... It was a classic recurring sketch and even Alex himself liked it.
I loved that skit. Good stuff!
Old 06-20-23, 01:28 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by venturi95
And now something completely different...
I mostly use the lameass app on my iPhone that came with it since new. It seems to continually, for years, ignore the concept of "localized probability." I am in the rain shadow of the Cascades and most of the rain predictions for me are totally unbelievable. Accuweather is no better, virtually identical.
The best rain prediction app was Dark Sky -- I would get alerts shortly before it was to begin raining, and it's forecasts (on all weather metrics) was quite good. Apple bought Dark Sky, and claims to have integrated it into the iPhone's native weather app. An app which, anecdotally, I find to be quite good.
Old 06-20-23, 01:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I once bought an old house, and subsequently found that it'd been hit by a tornado in 1930 -- some years, on the anniversary, the local paper would run a photo of the damage, as it was apparently the ONLY house that had been hit by the tornado.

I always felt pretty safe in that house. After all, it was pre-disastered.
AAA is billing me $6K/year now for homeowner's insurance, as a thank-you present for me helping to ensure it didn't burn with most of the houses in the region in 2020. Perhaps they need a lesson in probability theory. (Perhaps I need to move.)
Old 06-20-23, 01:48 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I just flipped a quarter 4 times, and it came up heads 3 of those times. I'm going to hang on to this lucky coin!
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-20-23, 01:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Heads I win.
Tails you lose.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-20-23, 02:31 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I just flipped a quarter 4 times, and it came up heads 3 of those times. I'm going to hang on to this lucky coin!
Sophomore year, undergrad stats class. Professor was using the old example: If I flip a coin nine times and it comes up heads each time, what are the odds of it being heads the tenth time? Except his accent led him to drop the "s" when asking us, "What are the odds that I get heads?"

He obviously thought it was a great example because we were all enjoying it so much. It actually IS a great example. I wonder how many bf'ers would get it wrong?
Old 06-20-23, 02:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I wonder how many bf'ers would get it wrong?
You have to specify his marital status.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-20-23, 03:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Sophomore year, undergrad stats class. Professor was using the old example: If I flip a coin nine times and it comes up heads each time, what are the odds of it being heads the tenth time? Except his accent led him to drop the "s" when asking us, "What are the odds that I get heads?"

He obviously thought it was a great example because we were all enjoying it so much. It actually IS a great example. I wonder how many bf'ers would get it wrong?
Although coin-flipping is a common example of a random outcome, it's not necessarily always random. If I start the coin with the same side up every time, and learn to control the consistency of my thumb-flick, I can get a predictable result. This is similar to a juggler with bowling pins. It's not random that the small end is in the right spot for easy catching after each toss.
Old 06-20-23, 03:39 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Eric F
Although coin-flipping is a common example of a random outcome, it's not necessarily always random. If I start the coin with the same side up every time, and learn to control the consistency of my thumb-flick, I can get a predictable result. This is similar to a juggler with bowling pins. It's not random that the small end is in the right spot for easy catching after each toss.
Oh yes. I can juggle round objects quite easily. But if the objects aren't round, it's a whole different thing.
Old 06-20-23, 03:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Oh yes. I can juggle round objects quite easily. But if the objects aren't round, it's a whole different thing.
Likewise. Only 3, though. More than that is beyond my skill level.
Old 06-21-23, 11:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Nonsense. Explanation.

OP's entire premise is also nonsense.
Daniel4 's version is wrong, but not complete nonsense as areal coverage is part of the formula.

According to your source, it's the probability it will rain in the area times the proportion of the area that will receive rain.

"Using this, here are two examples giving the same statistical result: (1) If the forecaster was 80% certain that rain would develop but only expected to cover 50% of the forecast area, then the forecast would read "a 40% chance of rain" for any given location. (2) If the forecaster expected a widespread area of precipitation with 100% coverage to approach, but he/she was only 40% certain that it would reach the forecast area, this would, as well, result in a "40% chance of rain" at any given location in the forecast area."