Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Parts no one misses on New Bikes...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Parts no one misses on New Bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 05:26 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Funny ... personally, I really like twist shifters. They could be a bit of an issue in the wet but otherwise I like being able to go directly to the gear I want.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 08-08-23, 05:55 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
i'll start the list with... Cottered Cranksets and their tapered cotter Bolts.

i have spent countless hours trying to remove the bolts... only to find that the crank arm is far more stuck in place than the bolt ever was....

if someone brings an old raleigh three speed by with a bad bottom bracket,, i tell them, up front, that it's not worth fixing, and that the Crank is stuck to the spindle, so it may need to be CUT with a grinder to be removed.... some insist and persist, due to sentimental wants, then gripe about the repair bill.
What? Get yourself a VAR #07 cotterpin press. Or ten inches of pipe and a BFH!
Likes For big chainring:
Old 08-08-23, 06:20 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,041 Times in 1,430 Posts
Inner tubes.
Old 08-08-23, 07:09 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A thumb shifter is just a lever on a pivot, essentially .... basically a downtube shifter on the bars. Stone-age simple .....
As I’m sure you know, these days one can use the same shift levers, with appropriate mounts, as downtube, bar-end, thumb or even stem shifter.

Otto
Old 08-08-23, 07:45 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Things I don’t miss:
Tubeless tires
Disc brakes
Dropper posts
11, 12, 13 cogs
Suntour Accushift
Spline Drive nipples
Old 08-08-23, 07:56 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Grip Shift
These are still a popular spec on entry-level path bikes and kids bikes. Both SRAM (who owns "Grip Shift") and Microshift make twist shifters.
Old 08-08-23, 07:59 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I totally don't understand everyone's issues with QR skewers. What I dislike is "lawyer lips." I also don't miss having to carry a wrench to take my wheels off ......
It’s my impression that QR axles have been the number one cause of damage to carbon fiber reinforced frames, sometimes by user error but also by the mixed track record of frame manufacturers in how they engineered these interfaces to keep the steel axle from wearing on the frame material. Thru axle designs seem to eliminate or at least minimize the potential damage.

But that’s just my guess. Maybe people are concerned their wheels will pop loose because of unsymmetrical forces caused by disc brakes. Thru axles also seem to render that moot.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-08-23 at 08:04 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-08-23, 08:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
i'll start the list with... Cottered Cranksets and their tapered cotter Bolts.

i have spent countless hours trying to remove the bolts... only to find that the crank arm is far more stuck in place than the bolt ever was....

if someone brings an old raleigh three speed by with a bad bottom bracket,, i tell them, up front, that it's not worth fixing, and that the Crank is stuck to the spindle, so it may need to be CUT with a grinder to be removed.... some insist and persist, due to sentimental wants, then gripe about the repair bill.
​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ter-press.html
Old 08-08-23, 08:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I totally don't understand everyone's issues with QR skewers. What I dislike is "lawyer lips." I also don't miss having to carry a wrench to take my wheels off ......
For me they are simply a superseded component that I don’t ever miss. Given a choice I would always choose thru axles, preferably with levers for tool free wheel removal.
Old 08-08-23, 09:13 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
'Improved' technology doesn't necessarily make prior tech any less useful.
a nice steel bike is still a very nice bicycle/conveyance.
That said, I don't miss Tubulars/sewups - they are still the best ridding of all types. But what a headache for 'maintenance', durability and if willing-repair.
Anyone who's ever ridden tubulars will know where I'm comin from.
Never have had a problem with QR, in 58 yrs of riding 'better' bikes, and find them very convenient. All my 'road' bikes still have QR. One gravel has TA, and my newer mtb has TA.
having to carry a 6mm wrench is an added pain.
I don't miss leather saddles - but I'm sure there are many who would disagree.
I don't miss wool shorts
I don't miss nailed on cleats, toeclips & straps or 'hairnets'.
I don't miss only one wrap of cello or cotton handlebar tape.
I'm still OK with non-index friction DT shifting on my older bikes - but prefer bar-cons...
I don't miss non-hardened plain Alu rims
I DO MISS the cool-max fabric from the Mid 90's - best fabric material ever for versatile jerseys...

Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-08-23, 09:16 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
If a 'lightweight' road bike (that's really all I've ridden much as an adult) from the '70s, '80s, '90s, 00's, 10's, or 20's is in good condition with nice tires - I would be happy to ride it. Maybe happy to own it.

edit: I miss shiny bits on bicycles.
A beautiful 'Magic Carpet ride' !

Ride On
Yuri
Old 08-08-23, 09:28 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I don't miss handlebars and stems coming with a whole bunch of different clamp diameters only 0.2mm apart.

But I would say downtube shifters (previously mentioned) take the cake. Don't ever want to use those again.
Old 08-08-23, 10:28 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
Things I don’t miss:
Tubeless tires
Disc brakes
Dropper posts
11, 12, 13 cogs
Suntour Accushift
Spline Drive nipples
How can you miss these things when none of them (save Accushift) have gone away yet?
Wasn't there a song called 'How can I miss you when you won't go away?'
Old 08-08-23, 10:34 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
A thumb shifter is just a lever on a pivot, essentially .... basically a downtube shifter on the bars. Stone-age simple .....
Yeah, but that type of thumb shifter (ie. Deore 7 speed) went away decades ago. The problem with these is that they are stiff and there is always a dead spot somewhere where it gets awkward to shift with either your thumb or forefinger. Nowadays all thumb shifters are ratchet type thumb shifters.
But to echo another poster- twist grips excel for the same reason DT shifters excel- you can change up or down a whole bunch of gears all at once. Try that in a small ratchet thumb shifter.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-08-23, 10:35 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
How can you miss these things when none of them (save Accushift) have gone away yet?
Wasn't there a song called 'How can I miss you when you won't go away?'
Probably a post by some Terminator bot from the future
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-08-23, 11:14 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
What? Get yourself a VAR #07 cotterpin press. Or ten inches of pipe and a BFH!
even the best tools and tricks sometimes fail when faced with a rusty raleigh.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-08-23, 12:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
I don't think there is a new bike on the market that doesn't come with tubes. So many things people have listed here are all still commonly found on new bikes.

Cottered cranks and Shimano's FFS do not exist anymore on new bikes but tubes, cables and housing, QR skewers, freewheels, 8 speed cassettes, square taper cranks, quill stems...all still are quite common. I feel this thread was about parts that don't exist on new bikes anymore not parts we just don't like.
Old 08-08-23, 01:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
How come no one has mentioned wire bead tires!?
Old 08-08-23, 04:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
All Bikes
-Threaded headsets and quill stems
-Freewheels (vs cassettes)
-Rat Trap style flat pedals (new flat pedals are so much better)

Road bikes:
-Non-integrated shifters (downtube, stem mount, bar end).

MTB:
-Narrow bars
-Long Stems
-Bar ends
-Rigid posts
-Canti brakes
-Triple cranksets
-2.1” tires.
Old 08-08-23, 04:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Square taper saddle posts were just the worst

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
How come no one has mentioned wire bead tires!?
Because there are still tons of them
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-08-23, 04:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't think there is a new bike on the market that doesn't come with tubes. So many things people have listed here are all still commonly found on new bikes.

Cottered cranks and Shimano's FFS do not exist anymore on new bikes but tubes, cables and housing, QR skewers, freewheels, 8 speed cassettes, square taper cranks, quill stems...all still are quite common. I feel this thread was about parts that don't exist on new bikes anymore not parts we just don't like.
If we are including BSOs and entry level bikes, this is true.

Bit If we are talking about mid level and higher MTB, Road, and Gravel, then quill stems, square taper, freewheels, and 8 speed are rare on new bikes. Extinct on MTBs. You mostly find them from places like Rivendell, VO, and Rene Herse… companies with a vintage vibe.

Tubes are basically dead for mid to upper end MTB, with not many holdouts. The last two mtbs we bought came setup tubeless. No tubes included. But even when they come set up with tubes, they are nearly always tubeless compatible, and you just need to set them up. In fact most shops will do this for you before you even pick the bike up.

QR is exceedingly rare on mid-level MTB, and getting uncommon for mid level gravel and road.

Cables are certainly common as dirt. I think those going away is more aspirational on some peoples’ part.
Old 08-08-23, 04:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
BB30 and variants

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-08-23, 05:18 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Single piece crankset.
Any non cassette BB
Rim brakes of any kind
Any chainring shifter of any kind
Quill Stems
Riser bars
95% of all rear suspension designs
I beam saddles and seat posts
Any press fit BB
Grip Shifters
Dropper posts
QR's
Tubeless
Hydraulic brakes

and CF anything
Old 08-08-23, 07:53 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by veganbikes

I thought it was a thread about parts that have become largely obsolete on our newest bikes. Pretty much everything in bike history is still pretty common, especially on this forum!

Obviously if you still run tubes in your tyres then you can’t say that you don’t miss them. But as I’ve been running tubeless on all my bikes since 2004 I can say that I don’t miss tubes if that’s okay with you?

Btw, Giant sell some of their bikes without tubes. My 2019 Defy was supplied from the factory fully tubeless. Dealers just add the sealant at point of sale.

My newest road bike also has eTap wireless shifting and I can say that I definitely don’t miss having gear cables on that bike, even though my other bikes still have them.
Old 08-08-23, 10:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Pretty much everything in bike history is still pretty common, especially on this forum!
That's not true but fads at the top end churn a lot faster than the middle of the market. The last bike I can remember with canti brakes was that weird stab Surly made at a rando bike (but with a super stiff fork). Cottered cranks might not be totally dead but they are in the USA.

There is a sort of bike I think of as an Asian-standard bike. If you look at a smaller brand copy of a bike like a Trek FX or Marlin, you find a lot of the same frame features across bike genres. Today they most likely have post mount disc brakes and an English bottom bracket, vertical dropouts for a 135 hub, and a Campagnolo style derailleur hanger. By now they probably have a tapered head tube... cheaper ones have a straight head tube, or a 44mm if they are hedging. It will have fender eyes and at least one bottle mount, and it might have more. Shimano alone can sell you an enormous variety of components that will mount up to that basic frame.

There are a lot of things about bikes that can be changed really quickly - anything that allows different size frames also basically allows different size wheels and frame geometry, for example. Wheel diameter is just a setting on the bender. Probably the most difficult thing is getting tire molds cut and tires made, because that requires big expensive factory work. Rim extrusions are probably pretty expensive to get going and special butted tubing and spokes are not things you can just buy from a sheet metal company, and that's why they have limited suppliers. But everything else to build a bike is basic machine shop and welding.

That's why there's a few component brands, a few dozen tire and wheel and tubing brands, and hundreds of bike brands.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-08-23 at 10:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.