Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Usefulness of smart trainer without Zwift?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 11:27 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

I'm looking to get an indoor trainer this winter to keep up fitness when it's frigid, dark and slushy outside. I'm right now torn between getting a fluid resistance trainer that will give me power data vs a "smart" trainer. Thing is, I'm not interested in video games so have no intention of joining Zwift. I'd rather listen to music, a podcast or a documentary during the workout than watch a virtual landscape. So, without Zwift, is there a compelling reason to get a trainer that controls the resistance? I think I can follow a targeted power range or HR range with the fluid trainer even if all it is simulating is an endless flat road, and the fact that the fluid trainer doesn't need an external power source is also appealing. But, part of me wonders if I'm just missing something because I haven't used a trainer before and maybe it would be better to just pony up the extra bucks from the beginning? Any thoughts or experiences to help?
Old 11-16-18, 11:34 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
There are more programs than just zwift to do structured training, such as the popular trainerroad. With that you can do whatever you'd like during the intervals or sessions. Even with Zwift you don't have to focus on the racing, you can simply use its database of workouts. Other resources such as ergdb could also useful. The benefit is that you can expend less mental energy during training, you just have to pedal.
Old 11-16-18, 11:42 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have a dumb trainer and have trialed Zwift, but have only paid for it a month or two at a time. Like you, I have no interest in video games. Zwift is a bit different. I'm very tempted to buy a smart trainer to take advantage of it. (My main reasons for hesitation are cheapness and I live where I can ride outside at least some of the time all year round.)

But if you can arrange a demo of a smart trainer in combination with Zwift, you might change your mind. If you do get a smart trainer, at least do the free trial of Zwift and Trainerroad and whatever else is currently available.
Old 11-16-18, 11:58 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by redlude97
There are more programs than just zwift to do structured training, such as the popular trainerroad. With that you can do whatever you'd like during the intervals or sessions. Even with Zwift you don't have to focus on the racing, you can simply use its database of workouts. Other resources such as ergdb could also useful. The benefit is that you can expend less mental energy during training, you just have to pedal.
I guess I should add that I am looking to follow a training/workout routine from Velopro. The machines I'm looking at are the Kinetic brand and their app lets me program a workout with power ranges to follow so it seems all I would have to do is keep my power in the target range even with the standard trainer?
Old 11-16-18, 12:10 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Caliper
I guess I should add that I am looking to follow a training/workout routine from Velopro. The machines I'm looking at are the Kinetic brand and their app lets me program a workout with power ranges to follow so it seems all I would have to do is keep my power in the target range even with the standard trainer?
Its not as easy as you think to keep power in a target range all the time, especially day after day especially in the winter. If you don't think it will be an issue then go ahead with the dumb trainer. I have a KK road machine and a smart trainer and never use the KK anymore...well i hardly used the smart trainer last winter either but plan to this winter. Its nice to be able to zone out at sweetspot watching netflix for 20-30mins at a time
Old 11-16-18, 01:24 PM
Caliper

Its not as easy as you think to keep power in a target range all the time, especially day after day especially in the winter.
Ok, fair point. So, how would the smart trainer feel different from the fluid resistance trainer if I'm targeting 250W and start slacking off (or going too hard)?
Old 11-16-18, 01:35 PM
redlude97

Ok, fair point. So, how would the smart trainer feel different from the fluid resistance trainer if I'm targeting 250W and start slacking off (or going too hard)?
If you "slack off" by dropping cadence it increases resistance so each pedal stroke becomes harder to hold power relatively constant, same for if you spin up to try to go harder. On a fluid trainer any change in cadence results in a change in power
Old 11-16-18, 01:38 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Depends. If you have the smart trainer in ERG mode (which just means it sets the resistance at a certain level and maintains it regardless of cadence and gear combo) then you can't slack-- it simply stops. But if you don't have ERG mode on and it's just reporting power, it will act similarly to the fluid trainer.
Old 11-16-18, 01:47 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Without Zwift, you won't know where you are.
Old 11-16-18, 01:47 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by ksryder
Depends. If you have the smart trainer in ERG mode (which just means it sets the resistance at a certain level and maintains it regardless of cadence and gear combo) then you can't slack-- it simply stops. But if you don't have ERG mode on and it's just reporting power, it will act similarly to the fluid trainer.
Erg mode does not hold resistance constant
Old 11-16-18, 01:57 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Ok.
Old 11-16-18, 03:41 PM
Caliper

If you "slack off" by dropping cadence it increases resistance so each pedal stroke becomes harder to hold power relatively constant, same for if you spin up to try to go harder. On a fluid trainer any change in cadence results in a change in power
Ok, that makes sense. The fluid trainer behaves like a bike on a level road while the ERG mode is almost giving the opposite feedback but works to keep you at power.

The only thing I'm seeing is that this requires an app interface to control and almost none of these apps seem to offer a free version with support for the road simulation aspect? Is everyone with smart trainers then having to run some sort of paid subscription so they can use their trainer?
Old 11-16-18, 04:46 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Tranerroad is exceptional. I've tried Zwift but found the simulation aspect to be necessary. I much rather enjoy watching movies or just listening to podcasts while attacking goal-specific workouts on TR in erg mode on my Kickr.
Old 11-16-18, 04:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. The fluid trainer behaves like a bike on a level road while the ERG mode is almost giving the opposite feedback but works to keep you at power.

The only thing I'm seeing is that this requires an app interface to control and almost none of these apps seem to offer a free version with support for the road simulation aspect? Is everyone with smart trainers then having to run some sort of paid subscription so they can use their trainer?
Yeah, not sure there's much out there that's free forever. Elite offers the My E-training app, free for the first year I think. No idea what it costs after the 12 month period as I haven't really used it.
Old 11-16-18, 05:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
I'm looking to get an indoor trainer this winter to keep up fitness when it's frigid, dark and slushy outside. I'm right now torn between getting a fluid resistance trainer that will give me power data vs a "smart" trainer. Thing is, I'm not interested in video games so have no intention of joining Zwift. I'd rather listen to music, a podcast or a documentary during the workout than watch a virtual landscape. So, without Zwift, is there a compelling reason to get a trainer that controls the resistance? I think I can follow a targeted power range or HR range with the fluid trainer even if all it is simulating is an endless flat road, and the fact that the fluid trainer doesn't need an external power source is also appealing. But, part of me wonders if I'm just missing something because I haven't used a trainer before and maybe it would be better to just pony up the extra bucks from the beginning? Any thoughts or experiences to help?
I own a smart trainer (Wahoo Kickr), and I have only been on Zwift once. I found Zwift incredibly boring. I do exactly what you describe -- I listen to music and podcasts, and watch movies, TV, and documentaries. I think it was a very worthwhile investment, even though I don't use Zwift. (Of course, a fluid trainer used in conjunction with a power meter could achieve the same results.)
Old 11-16-18, 05:33 PM
Caliper

Yeah, I totally understand why services like Zwift aren't free forever. I guess I'd be totally happy with an interface where I could just control the road grade simulation, maybe program a series of "hills", follow a gpx file or flip to erg mode. Something like that which would be a one time app purchase. Maybe I need to find someone who knows how to program Android OS.
Old 11-16-18, 06:14 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Based off this, it seems that apps like Golden Cheetah. Kinetic Fit, and Xert can control a smart trainer for structured workouts and are free or have free versions.
Old 11-17-18, 06:49 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
...I guess I'd be totally happy with an interface where I could just control the road grade simulation, maybe program a series of "hills", follow a gpx file or flip to erg mode. Something like that which would be a one time app purchase.....
You may already own a higher-end cycling computer (e.g., Garmin, Wahoo) that will control a smart trainer to follow a course / profile.

PerfPro is a one time purchase.
Old 11-17-18, 08:25 AM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have a Cycleops Magnus. We originally signed up for Zwift, but like the OP, it was too much like a video game. We no use Rouvy. If you have the hardware it is as close to riding outside as you can get, and reasonably priced at $12 a month.
Old 11-17-18, 09:27 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I''m using Zwift right now, after getting a smart trainer last month. I'm doing a 4 week FTP program on zwift, but I think I'll likely switch after that ends, and the end of cross season in December, and try Trainerroad. Seems it is more comprehensive for training, which really is why I have the trainer in the first place.
Old 11-17-18, 10:16 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper;20665779[color=#999999
]I'm looking to get an indoor trainer this winter to keep up fitness when it's frigid, dark and slushy outside. I'm right now torn between getting a fluid resistance trainer that will give me power data vs a "smart" trainer. Thing is, I'm not interested in video games so have no intention of joining Zwift. I'd rather listen to music, a podcast or a documentary during the workout than watch a virtual landscape. So, without Zwift, is there a compelling reason to get a trainer that controls the resistance? I think I can follow a targeted power range or HR range with the fluid trainer even if all it is simulating is an endless flat road, and the fact that the fluid trainer doesn't need an external power source is also appealing. But, part of me wonders if I'm just missing something because I haven't used a trainer before and maybe it would be better to just pony up the extra bucks from the beginning? Any thoughts or experiences to help?
With respect to hardware and software, one never knows how one will evolve and how much use a trainer will get. Does it turn into a white elephant?

To that point, I suggest more of a future proof approach and assure that hardware features can be added and are compatible with what you might want to do in the future. The other aspect is to buy more features than you need or think you need may offer a chance to try out services and you may find something you really like that requires more sophisticated hardware.

I like to ride the trainer / rollers and IMO, most people do not. Why do riders not like to ride the trainer - too boring and too hard. The too hard due to the trainer not feeling like the road but the boring can be managed by media stimulation and hey maybe the too hard by smart software driving a more realistic road feel to the trainer.

I like the trainer because I can do workouts that are beneficial to my training that are more difficult to execute outside due to terrain and traffic conditions. The trainer is a controlled environment. I like to visualize myself in different racing situations when I am on the trainer and use my imagination versus video feedback however, I am a firm believer / supporter of simulation that mimics reality. So if software and hardware can put me on a velodrome in the pole lane so that I can work on my black line technique and etc, I would be all over that. I find that I can visualize riding the black line (the shortest distance around the track) in my head while I am on the trainer. I try to couple an execution objective along with a training objective while on the trainer. That is what programs like Zwift and others are trying to do. You may like it.
Old 11-17-18, 12:01 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

You can control Kickr trainers with one of their cycling computers.
Old 11-17-18, 12:06 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I''m using Zwift right now, after getting a smart trainer last month. I'm doing a 4 week FTP program on zwift, but I think I'll likely switch after that ends, and the end of cross season in December, and try Trainerroad. Seems it is more comprehensive for training, which really is why I have the trainer in the first place.
I used Trainerroad for a year. It is very good. I found that with TrainingPeaks I could build my own structured intervals easily and could send them to my Bolt or Zwift. I mostly do structured workouts on zwift. I will also do the rides/races for those times I can’t get outside.
Old 11-17-18, 03:11 PM
Caliper

Originally Posted by Hermes
With respect to hardware and software, one never knows how one will evolve and how much use a trainer will get. Does it turn into a white elephant?

To that point, I suggest more of a future proof approach and assure that hardware features can be added and are compatible with what you might want to do in the future. The other aspect is to buy more features than you need or think you need may offer a chance to try out services and you may find something you really like that requires more sophisticated hardware.
Well, I suppressed my luddite tendencies and have ordered the Kinetic Rock and roll control (Control being their term for a smart trainer since it seems they had already labeled some of their trainers "smart" for other features before the current smart trainers came about?) It's got all the bells and whistles and supports all the current communication protocols so hopefully is as future proof as I can stand and any of my worries can be overcome with better apps over time...

I like to ride the trainer / rollers and IMO, most people do not. Why do riders not like to ride the trainer - too boring and too hard. The too hard due to the trainer not feeling like the road but the boring can be managed by media stimulation and hey maybe the too hard by smart software driving a more realistic road feel to the trainer.

I like the trainer because I can do workouts that are beneficial to my training that are more difficult to execute outside due to terrain and traffic conditions. The trainer is a controlled environment. I like to visualize myself in different racing situations when I am on the trainer and use my imagination versus video feedback however, I am a firm believer / supporter of simulation that mimics reality. So if software and hardware can put me on a velodrome in the pole lane so that I can work on my black line technique and etc, I would be all over that. I find that I can visualize riding the black line (the shortest distance around the track) in my head while I am on the trainer. I try to couple an execution objective along with a training objective while on the trainer. That is what programs like Zwift and others are trying to do. You may like it.
I do think I will like trainer. Heck, I like using the treadmill during the winter and I don't even like running. Just being on a bike will make things more fun. I'm also looking forward to being able to simulate real hills that are lacking here in Mi.
Old 11-19-18, 09:13 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Smart move getting the smart trainer. I had a KK rock n Roll for a few years with a power meter wheel. I could hit power targets by shifting to an appropriate gear, but could not simulate steep climbs at low cadence. This is one area where a smart trainer makes a difference. You can target a cadence and the trainer will try to apply the proper resistance so that you are also the right power. I now have a direto. The RnR sits idle nearby while I use the direto pretty exclusively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.