Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Microshift shifter SL-N758

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 08:22 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

https://www.microshift.com/models/sl-n758/
Above trigger shifter works with all 8-speed Nexus hubs and Alfine hubs upto SG-S501. No information about small parts required at the hub-end to complete the installation. If you've installed this from scratch, and not just replaced an existing Shimano shifter on the handlebar, appreciate info on other needed parts.
Old 11-09-22, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,824 Posts
Glad you gave us all this info so we can help you! It is a shifter it would replace a Shimano Nexus or Alfine 8 speed shifter so it wouldn't need to list other parts. The other parts are determined by your frame and hub and since we have no clue what you have in anything aside from maybe 8 speed IGH of a Shimano variant there isn't much we could do. If you haven't bought anything yet I would stick with Shimano unless I was going for a thumb shifter in which case Microshift all the way. Nothing against their trigger shifters but I would rather just have Shimano at that point.
Old 11-09-22, 11:01 PM
anga

If only you had spent more time reading and less time writing!

Shimano's shifters come with all parts necessary to connect the cable to the cassette joint. Not the case with Microshift shifters.

I am concerned only with the attachment of shifter cable to cassette joint. Frame is irrelevant.
​​​​​​​
Cassette joint I use is CJ-8S20. But feel free to provide info if you used a different one.

Last edited by anga; 11-10-22 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-10-22, 05:49 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Above trigger shifter works with all 8-speed Nexus hubs and Alfine hubs upto SG-S501. No information about small parts required at the hub-end to complete the installation. If you've installed this from scratch, and not just replaced an existing Shimano shifter on the handlebar, appreciate info on other needed parts.
Assuming you already have the cassette joint, you will require cable and housing and an anchor bolt. I saw nothing in your link to indicate they are included. https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC349013/...xing-bolt-unit
Old 11-10-22, 11:03 AM
anga

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Assuming you already have the cassette joint, you will require cable and housing and an anchor bolt. I saw nothing in your link to indicate they are included. https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC349013/...xing-bolt-unit
The cable fixing bolt is not included. Concerned about other Nexus & Alfine parts that may be required.
For example, Shimano lists 2 different models for CJ-8S20 & CJ-8S40.
For CJ-8S20
silver: SL-S503-210LLS
black: SL-S503-210LLL
For CJ-8S40
silver: SL-S503-210LSS
black: SL-S503-210LSL

Cable & housing are available everywhere. Not the case with Nexus & Alfine parts.

Last edited by anga; 11-10-22 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-12-22, 05:47 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 481 Posts
Have you contacted MicroShift and posed this question to them? I'd guess they likely know what parts (or which Nexus/Alfine "small parts kit") you'd need to substitute their shifter for Shimano's.

I was fairly impressed with their response when I queried them once before regarding one of their products. Response was succinct, timely, and answered my question completely.
Old 11-13-22, 08:23 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

If only you had spent more time reading and less time writing!

Shimano's shifters come with all parts necessary to connect the cable to the cassette joint. Not the case with Microshift shifters.

I am concerned only with the attachment of shifter cable to cassette joint. Frame is irrelevant.

Cassette joint I use is CJ-8S20. But feel free to provide info if you used a different one.
I did read your post actually and it didn't answer the questions.

Your concern was not noted in the original post so that is why the frame would be relevant in my post as you need a frame that can handle whatever hub you might be using and then all the small parts to mount it to the frame. Since I didn't know you had any of that and maybe am still a little dubious as you are pretty tightlipped on that.

As you stated I think all you will need is the cable fixing bolt if you have all the other parts needed at the frame end. You have the cassette joint it sounds like but those don't come with the cable bolt but beyond that it is just washers and hub mounting stuff. You mentioned cables and housing but I guess I should mention that as being needed as well.

I am curious about the project but it seems so hush-hush I will just wonder why not just stick with a Shimano shifter in this instance if you are willing to share that small bit of info?
Old 11-13-22, 10:10 AM
anga

You could've phrased your response better.

Microshift shifters (and other bits as well) seem to be comparable to Shimano at a lower price, and easily available for earlier versions of Alfine hub.

Project involves converting bicycle from derailleurs to IGH, pretty standard. Wish I had something secret to hide. No IGH parts available here, so have to triple check everything.
Old 11-13-22, 07:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

You could've phrased your response better.

Microshift shifters (and other bits as well) seem to be comparable to Shimano at a lower price, and easily available for earlier versions of Alfine hub.

Project involves converting bicycle from derailleurs to IGH, pretty standard. Wish I had something secret to hide. No IGH parts available here, so have to triple check everything.
Sorry maybe I was a bit rougher around the edges, I have been here a while and see a lot of people saying give me help and don't provide any useful info to us to help them. I like to help but when people are tightlipped it makes it hard and it frustrates me. No ill feelings towards you and I hope you realize that in the cold dark unforgiving space we call the inter-net.

Fair dinkum on that but generally the microshift advantage for Shimano compatible is the thumb and bar end shifters which Shimano is phasing out a bit. SRAM ain't gonna make a thumb shifter for Eagle but Microshift will and I like that. Their trigger shifters while not bad I never felt have been a superior product to the Shimano stuff but nothing to say don't do it. Was more curious, that's why my friends call me Whiskers (Will Farrell as Harry Caray always makes me burst out laughing)

It felt like a hidden secret and still does to a degree, always curious what bike what parts yada yada...I am a bike geek and in cases of stuff like this the info could be quite handy maybe there is something on that frame that is odd and might preclude usage of the hub or something strange probably not in this case but you never know. Conversion from derailleurs to IGH is not that standard I don't hear about it that often.