Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Favorite type of Travel Case for C&V Bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-23, 10:34 AM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 65 Posts

I'm curious about what people prefer for a travel case for their C&V bikes. I have three travel cases, two of which were given to me, and one that I purchased. Each has its limitations and I am trying to determine if I should get rid of all three and get something else.

My three in order of least liked and used

1. Trico Iron Case - Bulky, heavy and a bear to navigate in airports, hotels and rental vehicles. It is very difficult to pack this with a bike and shoes and stay under the 50lb airline limit. Impossible to get a cab with this. I got it for free, so I am not complaining.

2. A "clamshell" case called an Attica - a case named after a prison riot - great branding LOL - its lightweight, rolls easily and packs quickly. The frame protection is minimal, no pockets for organization. I got this one for free as well and it has been used for several trips to Europe and in the domestic US.

3. A soft DaKine case that I purchased for my 29" FS MTB. This is a good case, fits my MTB, but it is oversized and the C&V bikes get lost in it. But it is lightweight and can be rolled up once I reach my destination. Added benefit of wheel bags, fork protector and frame harness.

Whne I was overseas this year, a number of people I met are using Orucases. They raved about the ease of traveling with them, but the pack in requires removing the fork. While I am not opposed to this, it seems like it is a better option for modern bikes with modern cartridge bearings and aheadsets versus a classic quill stem and threaded fork.

Interested in what other BF forum members have used and had experiences with.

Last edited by Thalia949; 10-28-23 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-28-23, 11:43 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3822 Post(s)
Liked 6,761 Times in 2,629 Posts
I have a Trico and an Orucase Airport Ninja. I’ve only mailed the former, and use the latter for most of my airplane-related bike travel with C&V bikes. Yes, you have to pull the fork, so a headset that doesn’t have loose bearings is best. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case when I flew with my ‘38 Maclean to the Lake Pepin 3-speed ride. Reassembling that ancient headset in my hotel room was a bit of an adventure, but I thought to bring some spare bearings for those I would invariably lose. Not sure I would do that again.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-28-23, 01:02 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,220 Posts
I’ve used an EVOC case since 2014 on literaly dozens of bike trips. Zero damage to the bikes thus far.
Airlines will accept it as regular baggage if under 50 pounds, so sometimes I remove the chain and RD and pedals and pack them in my checked suitcase.
Old 10-28-23, 01:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1302 Post(s)
Quoted: 4692 Post(s)
Liked 5,846 Times in 2,300 Posts
I typically fly Alaska, where bikes fly free, so my Trico Ironcase doesn't cost me anything extra. It is big, bulky, and heavy.

Unless I'm flying to something like Cino, my travel bike is a Ritchey Breakaway, which has it's own softshell case.

For the ultimate travel experience, the Zero Bike concept is the best. Just leave a bike at a friend's place if you like to ride a lot in that area. I'm lucky to have one such friend in the People's Republic of Berkeley, and have launched many multi-day tours from there. I currently have @Spaghetti Legs 's Heron hanging on a hook in the Atelier as he's planning on flying out to the PNW from time to time for some tours.

BTW, I've seen Doc pack and unpack his EVOC case a few times, that's a pretty nice system.
Old 10-28-23, 06:04 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I typically fly Alaska, where bikes fly free, so my Trico Ironcase doesn't cost me anything extra. It is big, bulky, and heavy.

Unless I'm flying to something like Cino, my travel bike is a Ritchey Breakaway, which has it's own softshell case.

For the ultimate travel experience, the Zero Bike concept is the best. Just leave a bike at a friend's place if you like to ride a lot in that area. I'm lucky to have one such friend in the People's Republic of Berkeley, and have launched many multi-day tours from there. I currently have @Spaghetti Legs 's Heron hanging on a hook in the Atelier as he's planning on flying out to the PNW from time to time for some tours.

BTW, I've seen Doc pack and unpack his EVOC case a few times, that's a pretty nice system.
Thanks gugie . I also have a Ritchey Break Away, which is my go to if not a C&V bike. Its been on over 200 flights and I am on my third case. Hands down the best travel bike option IMHO.
Old 10-29-23, 02:55 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 770 Posts
Funny this topic comes up now. I have two cases, a clamshell case with Performance branding I bought used a couple years ago, and one I just acquired on a trip to Portland. (My son found it at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore I think.) Though it lacks its original labels, it looks like a Tri All Velo Safe II. It has internal fork mounts for two bike frames. Both wind up heavy after you pack the usual bike(s), accessories and odd bathroom faucet.

Alaska Airlines seems the most friendly to sporting equipment (pole vault poles?), but I think most of the airlines are catching in that people serious about their sports obsessions can be good business. I suspect we mostly have triathletes to thank for that.

​​​​