Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Cycling region, USA?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 12:42 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by MZilliox
Anywhere where it is over 100 degrees for significant portions of the year should not be included. Southern CA and Arizona are fun to ride in winter, but summer? how much do you like to spin on the machine in AC?
It's rarely over 100 degrees in SoCal for one thing, and if it is, it isn't usually for more than a few hours in the middle of the day, so you have prime temperatures for cycling in the morning, or the evening if you're so inclined.

Besides, it's a dry heat and you can acclimate to it. Just stay hydrated.

If I were picking a locale, I'd name North County down by San Diego. Better weather than LA / OC, better roads and cost of living isn't any worse either.
Old 08-31-15, 01:09 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know what area may be the best, but I can tell you that my area of Florida is among the worst.
It's flat, few meaningful bike paths. Bike lanes on most roads are for the suicidal only.
drivers are often too old to see or hear you (even when in full kit and screaming.
If it's it not January it's hot and humid.
sudden torrential downpours occur without warning.
road hazards include, snakes, armadillo's, lizards, turtles, and golf carts.
That being said, I'm living the dream another day in paradise.
Old 08-31-15, 01:20 PM
RushFan2112

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2, Cannondale F1000 SL

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1 for Northern California. Obviously I'm biased since I live there, but if you ignore the cost of living it has to be one of the premier cycling locations in the world.
Old 08-31-15, 01:41 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Vermont...except in the winter, unless you like Fatbikes. And the Autumn? On the back roads? HEAVEN!

But you better like hills!
Old 08-31-15, 01:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't think there are many orange trees left in Orange County.
Sadly you are correct. Developers recently cut down the last one. There was a big fight to save the tree for future generations, but in the end big money won out.

John
Old 08-31-15, 04:43 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
If considering Orange County CA, I would also look at Ventura County. Other than the Southeast county (Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Moorpark, Agora Hills) it is more rural in character. You can easily get to SB or LA counties if you want too. (Then again , I guess you could live up near Taft or the Grapevine and still be technically in Ventura County but that would be like a whole 'nother world).

scott s.
Old 08-31-15, 05:18 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Belly
Before you say, right here! Think about it. What part of the country, state, or even city has the best of what any cyclist would want? Criteria?

-Terrain? Mountains, Flat, rolling
-Favorable seasons? Cant be stuck inside 6 damn months out of the year!!!!
-Reasonable cost of living?
-Plentiful job market?
-Air quality?
-Great food? Gotta have amazing places to eat, right?
-Arts/Culture?
-Heck, even cycling variety might be important. Road(of course), MTB, Cyclocross

I know I'm probably missing something but, you get the point.... Where?
Are you looking only for cycling, or to live and cycle? As a cross country cyclist, it’s New England for me to live and ride. Though the cost of living might be high, the job market is pretty good, and you get what you pay for. Terrain, air quality, food, arts/culture, and cycling variety are outstanding.

Regarding the weather, in response to the thread, “Does a near-perfect weather place exist?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter. So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here. Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in…
A famous regional quote about New England is ”Ya cahn’t get theah from heah.” and the road system is amazingly haphazard unless you know it personally. One might say, ”New England is a nice place to live (and ride), but I wouldn’t want to visit there.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-02-15 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 05:25 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

Are you looking only for cycling, or to live and cycle? As a cross country cyclist, it’s New England for me to live and ride. Though the cost of living might be high, the job market is pretty good, and you get what you pay for. Terrain, air quality, food, arts/culture, and cycling variety are outstanding.

Regarding the weather, in response to the thread, “Does a near-perfect weather place exist?

A famous regional quote about New England is ”Ya cahn’t get theah from here.” and the road system is amazingly haphazard unless you know it personally. One might say, ”New England is a nice place to live (and ride), but I wouldn’t want to visit there.”
live first, cycle lifestyle. Yes! Depends on what part of New England!? Vermont is an amazing place for cycling, for about 6 months. The lifestyle is great but cost of living/wages, a little rough. People have a tough time hiring good people because they don't want to pay a living wage. I'm sure we are the exception but, some are willing to put up with it to live here.
Old 08-31-15, 05:30 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
If considering Orange County CA, I would also look at Ventura County. Other than the Southeast county (Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Moorpark, Agora Hills) it is more rural in character. You can easily get to SB or LA counties if you want too. (Then again , I guess you could live up near Taft or the Grapevine and still be technically in Ventura County but that would be like a whole 'nother world).

scott s.
I lived in a couple parts of Ventura County for about a year. I'd agree, cycling is great. Plenty of options & Camarillo/Ventura has some great weather, most of the year. Property values were through the roof, when I left. I assume they have dropped a bit but, I don't really know.
Old 08-31-15, 05:32 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Vermont...except in the winter, unless you like Fatbikes. And the Autumn? On the back roads? HEAVEN!

But you better like hills!
love the Hills!!! I live on the top of one
Old 08-31-15, 05:35 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RushFan2112
+1 for Northern California. Obviously I'm biased since I live there, but if you ignore the cost of living it has to be one of the premier cycling locations in the world.
the few time I drove through northern CA, I left my heart there. Amazing place up along the coast & near the Oregon border. If only one could afford to live comfortably in some of the nicer areas.
Old 08-31-15, 05:38 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My vote is Southern Oregon, far superior to Portland Oregon. Weather is better, more hills, less people, less signal lights, less traffic, more wine, more trees, less hipsters and fixed gears, as much beer, more space, more scenery, more fishing, and we have Keith Anderson, Jeff Lyon, Land Shark, and more. Cost of living is low and the plants grow well. Lots of water, not a lot of competition for it.

shall i carry on?
like Eugene? I was never impressed & wasn't under the impression that southern Oregon had a lot of opportunity? I hear Bend has really come around? Haven been there since the early 90's.
Old 08-31-15, 05:44 PM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
like Eugene? I was never impressed & wasn't under the impression that southern Oregon had a lot of opportunity? I hear Bend has really come around? Haven been there since the early 90's.
I guess it depends on what you dig. for me its not a city or people, and I can get a job anywhere. I'm more concerned with water, ability to grow food, lifestyle, and physical beauty. Eugene is not my favorite, too grey, but once you get south of there, the climate is more similar to NoCal, but you don't have the cost of living of California. Medford and Ashland would be the hubs for industry, and neither is exciting unless you are in specific industries.

This is a place people come to live, not work... cities are places where people go to work, make money and find mates. I played that game, its not nearly as fun as this game.
Old 08-31-15, 05:45 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Anywhere where it is over 100 degrees for significant portions of the year should not be included. Southern CA and Arizona are fun to ride in winter, but summer? how much do you like to spin on the machine in AC?
I'm not one who does well in the heat. Los Angeles wasn't terrible. There were days I wouldn't/couldn't ride but, I acclimated pretty well & rode a lot in the earlier morning hours. The air quality is another story. & only worsens with heat. I heard some statistic about babies & the frequency of respiratory problems in LA county. I think that was really the point when I decided "enough is enough".
On another note(or the same)...the closer you are to the ocean, the cooler it is on those hot days.
Old 08-31-15, 05:49 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I guess it depends on what you dig. for me its not a city or people, and I can get a job anywhere. I'm more concerned with water, ability to grow food, lifestyle, and physical beauty. Eugene is not my favorite, too grey, but once you get south of there, the climate is more similar to NoCal, but you don't have the cost of living of California. Medford and Ashland would be the hubs for industry, and neither is exciting unless you are in specific industries.

This is a place people come to live, not work... cities are places where people go to work, make money and find mates. I played that game, its not nearly as fun as this game.
I'll agree with you there! & yes, Ashland is beautiful! That whole area is! I was born on Salem, grew up there & Portland area. A lot has changed!
Old 08-31-15, 05:50 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I don't know what area may be the best, but I can tell you that my area of Florida is among the worst.
It's flat, few meaningful bike paths. Bike lanes on most roads are for the suicidal only.
drivers are often too old to see or hear you (even when in full kit and screaming.
If it's it not January it's hot and humid.
sudden torrential downpours occur without warning.
road hazards include, snakes, armadillo's, lizards, turtles, and golf carts.
That being said, I'm living the dream another day in paradise.
all the reasons I've avoided it .
Old 08-31-15, 05:51 PM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll agree with you there! & yes, Ashland is beautiful! That whole area is! I was born on Salem, grew up there & Portland area. A lot has changed!
Yes, Just moved down form Portland 2 years ago, Portland got way too big way too fast. this area is more my pace now that I'm married and in my 30s.
Old 08-31-15, 05:52 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Don't even consider coastal Rhode Island ans SE coastal Massachusetts. Fugeddaboutit. While hills can be found and terrain is pretty and there are many quiet country roads for rides of any length and farms and wild flowers, the roadways are clogged with bikes.
I need to visit such a place!
Old 08-31-15, 05:57 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, Just moved down form Portland 2 years ago, Portland got way too big way too fast. this area is more my pace now that I'm married and in my 30s.
yeah, I love Portland. It's a bit much though. We considered moving back there before deciding on Vermont. We just couldn't bring ourselves to do it. It's not exactly the place I remembered. I still may give in at some point. We have family in the area.
Old 08-31-15, 07:32 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Guam?
Old 08-31-15, 07:42 PM
Grad

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10, Klein Quantum II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Athens, GA has to be up there. Look at how many group rides there are every single day:
Group Ride Calendar | Athens, Georgia the premier bicycling community in the United States!*
Old 09-01-15, 04:31 AM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Guam?
can you elaborate? Intrigued
Old 09-01-15, 04:35 AM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grad
Athens, GA has to be up there. Look at how many group rides there are every single day:
Group Ride Calendar | Athens, Georgia the premier bicycling community in the United States!*
Sounds like a great place to be a cyclist.
Old 09-01-15, 10:07 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd take rain over 6months of freezing. But yeah, I'd consider it a bit of a deterrent. Not totally but, certainly worth consideration.
Where in the south east, in particular? I can't imagine FL having a lot of mountains to climb?
I have to 2nd the Southeast, particularly Florida. I am sure that Seattle and Portland are nicer places to ride when it comes to hills and views. Too much rain and too cold though. I can ride every day all year. That to me trumps everything. I would hate to live in an area where you could not go out whenever you please. I would lose my passion as often times it is built upon consistency. Once I get habitual about something it is hard for me to ever stop. The snow and or rain would prohibit me from doing things that I love consistently. Plus, I love coming home from a ride and just jumping in the pool. I am not into the artic plunge so I will pass on any area where it is not reasonably warm year round.
Old 09-01-15, 11:31 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
[QUOTE=chasm54;18124441]I'm not a Merkin, but as a visitor I'd have to agree with Caloso. For a combination of year-round climate and variety of terrain I'd think that Northern California would be hard to beat. I had a great time cycling in New England and upstate NY, but that is lot less practicable in winter. The South East would bore me (speaking purely as a cyclist, here). Proper cycling needs proper hills.

Plenty of hills here in the Southeast. Cheaha in Alabama, Six Gap in Georgia, Mount Mitchell in North Carolina, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the list goes on and on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.