Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for warm weather rain jacket

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 09:49 AM
jsjcat

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 4.5, 2013 Trek Domane 4.3, 2009 Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for suggestions for rain jackets to pack on the bike for warm weather 70+ degrees just in case we get caught in a shower. Yes, I searched threads on this forum but want to ask what all of you pack. Don't need the ultimate jacket and not looking for a trash bag either. Your thoughts please?

Last edited by jsjcat; 09-04-15 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-04-15, 10:18 AM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally carry a light weight running jacket that is bright, very breathable, well vented, folds into almost nothing, will stop wind and is OK in light showers.

If heavy rain looks like a real possibility, I take my Showers Pass Elite jacket. It is completely waterproof but a bit heavier, less breathable and more bulky than the running jacket but less so than any other waterproof jacket I could find.
Old 09-04-15, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cycling rain cape*, not a jacket.. because it keeps you dry from rainfall , but is completely open for ventilation underneath ,

Monsoons in South Asia people ride with an umbrella, to have even more air circulation while the rain
is deflected by their 'bumbershoot'..

* these are a cone shape , not a flat rectangle like a Poncho. so flaps little as you ride.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-04-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-04-15, 10:56 AM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure whats available where you are, but I bought a very light Diadora jacket last year, and it packs up very small. It has a subtle reflective pattern, not really visible in daylight.
Old 09-04-15, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Why do you need one for such warm temperatures? The rest of your body is going get wet anyway. And all the breathability "stuff" is just that--stuff. Unless you are coasting or taking a spin around the bock, when it's 70+ out you are going to sweat inside any jacket capable of keeping rain out, which means you are going to get wet from one source or another. On road and touring rides I won't bother with a jacket unless I need one to stay warm enough.
Old 09-04-15, 12:12 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah, pretty much for roadie type cycling. A jacket or vest is just to prevent a chill as you'll be wet from rain, sweat or both. Casual short commutes etc, a rain cape is good.
Old 09-04-15, 12:52 PM
jsjcat

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 4.5, 2013 Trek Domane 4.3, 2009 Trek FX 7.6

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why do you need one for such warm temperatures? The rest of your body is going get wet anyway. And all the breathability "stuff" is just that--stuff. Unless you are coasting or taking a spin around the bock, when it's 70+ out you are going to sweat inside any jacket capable of keeping rain out, which means you are going to get wet from one source or another. On road and touring rides I won't bother with a jacket unless I need one to stay warm enough.
More concerned about staying warm in a cold shower. Have been caught in several thunderstorms and just a little jacket would have been better than just skin and a jersey. Understand that I will get wet. Just wanted to know what more experienced riders take along. Your opinion is appreciated. We have Pearl Izumi barrier jackets so they may suffice.
Old 09-04-15, 01:36 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A lot of stuff out there & nothing seems to fit the bill. I know how you feel. It took me a while but, I found a lightweight campagnolo rain jacket. Super lightweight & does the job well. It's black w/ some reflective spots. Probably a few years old...pretty much like this one. A little spendy but worth it. Fits nice & snug

https://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Last edited by Blue Belly; 09-04-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 03:04 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Agreed
If it is specifically for warmer temperatures I see no reason at all to wear it.
A chilly or cold rain in warm temperatures? Have never experienced that and think that even if I did the exertion of riding the bike would more than compensate.
Sounds like a grandmotherly "don't forget to wear your galoshes" and "don't run with scissors" thing to me
Running with scissors is cool btw