Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon seatpost. Is it worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 09:37 PM
r8dr_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got a FSA SLK carbon seat post for $80. Will i see a difference in ride quality? I have an 2015 Allez comp (smart weld) and have done several upgrades (wheels, saddle, crank brakes) I love the ride although I have never ridden a carbon bike so I cant compare. I just wanted to updgrade another part. It doesnt help that Im drinking right now.
Old 09-04-15, 09:40 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by r8dr_rider
It doesnt help that Im drinking right now.
At least you're honest.
Old 09-04-15, 10:04 PM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
At least you're honest.
I cant be the only one that drinks and starts buying things for my bike. If it wasnt for Stone I wouldn't have half the componets i have for my bike.
Old 09-04-15, 10:06 PM
Flatbroke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took my carbon seat post off of my Allez and put a metal one with a spring. It made a huge difference on the rough patches here.
Old 09-04-15, 10:12 PM
Flatbroke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant be the only one that drinks and starts buying things for my bike. If it wasnt for Stone I wouldn't have half the componets i have for my bike.
What is stone?
Old 09-04-15, 10:21 PM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatbroke
What is stone?
Really? Stone brewing co.
Old 09-04-15, 10:30 PM
chip1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All my bikes came with a carbon seatpost. They're comfortable but who knows if it's the seatposts that are truly affecting the ride..all my bikes have different qualities and they ride differently. I wouldn't go out of my way to get carbon if I had an alloy seatpost.

How does Stone compare to likes of Doghead Fish? 90 minutes is my favorite.
Old 09-04-15, 10:34 PM
Kamau

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one because it looked cool and... well... I'm a sucker for big placebo
Old 09-04-15, 10:47 PM
Eyenigma

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This. Haha. Love the honesty and the fact I can relate to what you're saying.
Old 09-04-15, 10:48 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chipndale9

How does Stone compare to likes of Doghead Fish? 90 minutes is my favorite.
They're comparable. I've also met the owners of both at festivals many years ago and they are comparably cool guys
Old 09-04-15, 10:55 PM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well at least i get the bling factor. Anyway Stone IMHO i way better then Dogfish Head. all the hype i tries the 90 and 120 minute IPA and it was good but not great. Then again i could be biased since i frequent the SD area and have a taproom about 7 miles from my house that i love to ride to every once ina while. The Old Guardian Barley Wine is out right now. I definitely recommend that beer.
Old 09-04-15, 11:15 PM
chip1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
They're comparable. I've also met the owners of both at festivals many years ago and they are comparably cool guys
Wow I just realized I typed "Doghead Fish". I need to stop drinking just like OP.

I see that you're in Cali. Have you tried the Pliny? It's almost impossible to get them here in east coast. Sometimes I feel comparing beers is similar to bikes; all similar qualities but with subjective preferences. I swear people who tried Pliny reminds me of those fanboys that are attached to one specific bike brand.
Old 09-04-15, 11:30 PM
r8dr_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipndale9
Wow I just realized I typed "Doghead Fish". I need to stop drinking just like OP.

I see that you're in Cali. Have you tried the Pliny? It's almost impossible to get them here in east coast. Sometimes I feel comparing beers is similar to bikes; all similar qualities but with subjective preferences. I swear people who tried Pliny reminds me of those fanboys that are attached to one specific bike brand.
Lmao! Nobody even noticed since we all are drinking right now. Pliny is good but not as accessible out here, maybe cuz its a No Cal beer. . So Cal is mainly over run by all the So Cal brewerys. Stone being one of the bigger ones. Other then Stone I like hitting the small LA area brewerys, Alosta, Pacific Plate, Rev to name a few.
Old 09-04-15, 11:36 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Stone rocks... currently (as in right now) enjoying a ballast point brewing company Sculpin.

Unfortunately, I'm "enjoying" the Habanero Sculpin and it's hot as ****. Sitting here wishing it was a Stone IPA.

So... what bike part do I need to order now, I don't really need anything?
Old 09-04-15, 11:43 PM
chip1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lmao! Nobody even noticed since we all are drinking right now. Pliny is good but not as accessible out here, maybe cuz its a No Cal beer. . So Cal is mainly over run by all the So Cal brewerys. Stone being one of the bigger ones. Other then Stone I like hitting the small LA area brewerys, Alosta, Pacific Plate, Rev to name a few.
If you have easy access to Brooklyn Brewery I recommend their Black Chocolate Stout if you haven't tried it. It's also one of my favorites.

We probably derailed the thread but I'll be going to bed now.
Old 09-04-15, 11:47 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
OK, if you're ever in Colorado, Horse and Dragon brewing company has a vanilla & chocolate porter called Sad Panda ..... yeah, it's ridiculous.
Old 09-05-15, 05:20 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Carbon can make a difference, but it depends on things like which carbon post, amount of extension, saddle location, rider weight, and what you're comparing it too. I don't know how to assess those things all together to be able to know what will happen before trying it, though, but the SLK is a good post for me, with nice vibration damping. It doesn't noticeably flex, however; I have a Syncros Ti post that dopes, and it's actually pretty nice to ride. One of my road bikes has USE Alien Ti but less extension and a saddle located to load the post with little leverage on the post, so it doesn't seem appreciably different than aluminum by feel.
Old 09-05-15, 07:40 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
This thread is going sideways....but I like it....I'm enjoying Dale's Pale Ale right now. I'm using a glass because my carbon beer mug is in the dishwasher. FWIW, you honestly will not really notice a ride difference. You most likely WILL notice is a significant increase in bling factor...which is important. You may even shave a few grams depending on the post your exchanging.
Old 09-05-15, 07:44 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From the pages of Velo: Getting the most from your post - VeloNews.com

Not always.
Old 09-05-15, 07:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
This thread is going sideways....but I like it....I'm enjoying Dale's Pale Ale right now. I'm using a glass because my carbon beer mug is in the dishwasher. FWIW, you honestly will not really notice a ride difference. You most likely WILL notice is a significant increase in bling factor...which is important. You may even shave a few grams depending on the post your exchanging.
You're in CO, where it's 7:50am right now?
Old 09-05-15, 08:03 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You're in CO, where it's 7:50am right now?

Yes...but I work a graveyard shift...so, technically it's 7:50 at night for me.
Old 09-05-15, 08:15 AM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
With sloping top tubes & vibration dampening qualities of carbon fiber, they should help in the comfort chain.
Old 09-05-15, 08:15 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Graveyard shift sounds rough, with drinking beer this early part of the problem. Do you have a couple morning beers and go to bed?
Old 09-05-15, 08:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
That's the one that leads me to believe that setback, and other design characteristics at the head of the post, has more impact on vibration damping than strictly material. Which means to me personally, unless I want to spend quite a lot on the seat post I'm about as well off keeping the old aluminum one that I scrounged off some bike years ago as opposed to buying a low or mid-range carbon one.

Sorry to say to OP, but I do not expect you to see a difference in ride quality. Unless you have a big ol' beer mid-ride.
Old 09-05-15, 09:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
The conclusions from the VeloNews article are clear:

Bottom Line: Carbon seatposts absorb road vibration better.
Read more at https://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...yIAxGR1Qq7K.99

and

When choosing between aluminum and carbon seatposts, our tests indicate that the carbon seatpost will offer more vibration damping on high-frequency bumpy surfaces and more flex for big bumps, while also being lighter; but they are more expensive.
Read more at From the pages of Velo: Getting the most from your post - Page 5 of 5 - VeloNews.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.