Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sugino Compact Triple, Which FD?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 09:15 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts

Compact triple, Sora 7 speed brifters . I have used an RSX in the past. I think a Claris is my next choice or IRD Alpina. Any other voices from that era that would work?
Old 09-16-23, 01:51 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Since 7- and 8-speed use the same chain, a Sora 7- or 8-speed or Claris triple FD should work. Others will say that a Sora or Tiagra 9-speed will work, and I'm going to get flamed for saying chain width changes front shifting dynamics, so I will simply leave it as why go there if it's not necessary? I vote for Claris because older Sora and Tiagra FDs tend to break at the nub that anchors the return spring.
Old 09-16-23, 03:07 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I vote for Claris because older Sora and Tiagra FDs tend to break at the nub that anchors the return spring.
+1. Also, check out Microshift derailleurs. Function is as good as Shimano but usually more durable due to more steel used but only slightly heavier and also less expensive. The R8 Triple is probably what you need for your current triple rings but click the "show full specs" dropdown list for compatibility of the other 3 derailleurs listed. Check the 8 speed + Triple Filter boxes Front Derailleurs | microSHIFT
Old 09-16-23, 09:39 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1. Also, check out Microshift derailleurs. Function is as good as Shimano but usually more durable due to more steel used but only slightly heavier and also less expensive. The R8 Triple is probably what you need for your current triple rings but click the "show full specs" dropdown list for compatibility of the other 3 derailleurs listed. Check the 8 speed + Triple Filter boxes Front Derailleurs | microSHIFT
Microsoft is completely foreign to me, but I might give it a try
Old 09-17-23, 07:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Microsoft is completely foreign to me, but I might give it a try
Replaced an old Sora 3x derailler for a friend a couple years back. The little nub that oldbobcat mentioned broke off so tried the Microshift R8 and was very impressed. Looks much sturdier and works as good or better than the Sora. Microshift has been around awhile and lots of members here have used them.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-18-23, 11:13 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Compact triple, Sora 7 speed brifters . I have used an RSX in the past.
So why not use the RSX FD again? If I remember correctly the RSX FD doesn't require trimming for any position aside from small-small. Somehow the opening is just wide enough, and the 7 sp cassette just narrow enough that basically you never need to trim. Which is a good thing because the RSX 7 speed brifters do not have trim clicks.
Old 09-18-23, 11:19 AM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
So why not use the RSX FD again? If I remember correctly the RSX FD doesn't require trimming for any position aside from small-small. Somehow the opening is just wide enough, and the 7 sp cassette just narrow enough that basically you never need to trim. Which is a good thing because the RSX 7 speed brifters do not have trim clicks.
Good question. I have Sora, not RSX brifters. This set up worked great on several older road frames. Then I tried it on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. No go due to different bottom bracket drop. The tail of the RSX hit the tubing on the frame, not enough clearance. Current bike I am working on has the same and it's really frustrating as the Sora/RSX worked perfectly on the other bikes.
Old 09-19-23, 08:36 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Knowing the exact chainring setup on the Sugino would help, I know they sold multiple configurations. Are you running friction shifting or indexed?

I just installed a 48/36/26 Sugino triple on my touring bike with 9 speed indexed shifting. Had a heck of a time finding a compatible FD, finally found some old ~2007 era Shimano models that hopefully fit the bill. Next step is figuring out if I need a new BB to adjust the chainline...
Old 09-19-23, 10:58 AM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
Knowing the exact chainring setup on the Sugino would help, I know they sold multiple configurations. Are you running friction shifting or indexed?

I just installed a 48/36/26 Sugino triple on my touring bike with 9 speed indexed shifting. Had a heck of a time finding a compatible FD, finally found some old ~2007 era Shimano models that hopefully fit the bill. Next step is figuring out if I need a new BB to adjust the chainline...
This is a Sugino Mighty Tour with same tooth counts.