Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dutch Bike - "Nevada" Model?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 07:58 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts

This bike is a $50 Facebook find. It's a "Nevada" bike, but I'm not sure whether that's a brand or a model within a broader brand. It was identified as a Batavus but I cannot find a marking on it that says it is a Batavus. It's from Woudt's shop in Koog aan de Zaan. It checked online and that leads me back to a bike shop, so I don't think that's necessarily a brand either. The front head badge is a sticker with the shop name.

There is another word on the front badge "EWAL..." but the last couple letters have been erased by a zip tie that is holding a cable housing. It says "Made in Holland" on the seat tube.

It has a serial number and registration number on the seat tube lug.

It's a subtle blue-grey color with red pinstripes. Hubs are Sturmey Archer Steelite drums front and rear, dated 1991.

It has the period Delrin Sturmey brake handles and a 3 speed flick shifter. It has the usual Dutch accessories - rack, lights, generator, spoke guards, cargo straps, and chain case. It seems to be low mileage.

Rims are 28 inch stainless Westricks. It has an Axa frame lock on it.

Anyone ever see this "Nevada" mark before?

Last edited by SirMike1983; 10-30-23 at 08:08 PM.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 10-30-23, 08:22 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155786715749

​​​​​​https://www.altecfietsen.nl/nl/catal...sfietsen/20411
Old 10-31-23, 06:27 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

'lxli be later than anything else in your stable by decades

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 10-31-23, 08:05 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Willem Woudt in Koog aan de Zaan had a bike factory and his brand Zwaluw since 1898 and in 1907 he also had a bike shop.
The firm still exists, and the brand Zwaluw (Swallow) since some years again.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 10-31-23, 08:19 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Willem Woudt in Koog aan de Zaan had a bike factory and his brand Zwaluw since 1898 and in 1907 he also had a bike shop.
The firm still exists, and the brand Zwaluw (Swallow) since some years again.

You are onto something there. I thought that word in the center of the badge was "Ewal..." but it could be the zip tie has just rubbed out part of the lettering and it's really "Zwal..." which would match up with your suggestion of Zwaluw. The last two letters, partially rubbed off by the zip tie as well, could very well be U and W. I found the Woudt shop online but did not know it also was a bike maker under the Zwaluw brand. I'm thinking you may have found it given what's on that badge.

Edit: You nailed it - well done. I found this Zwaluw badge online, which matches your suggestion and matches what is on this bike. It's a Zwaluw make, Nevada model. One would think "Nevada" would mean some kind of mountain or gravel type bike, but it's a traditional roadster. Thank you for this information.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 10-31-23 at 08:35 AM.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 10-31-23, 08:31 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

'lxli be later than anything else in your stable by decades

-----
Yes, it's much newer than most of what I have, but then again was local and only $50. I was looking at it online and at first dismissed it as a modern copy of a Dutch bike, but after looking at the listing began thinking "That might be a real one...". I guess I'll have to learn to work on Steelite hubs. They were apparently a 70mm drum brake designed with the Dutch market in mind. It actually looks like it would make a pretty good commuter bike. This will be a winter project, I guess.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 10-31-23, 09:47 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Ooooo...Woods valves! Those are fun.
Old 10-31-23, 12:21 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Code 1521AE is Wormerveer, nearby Koog aan de Zaan.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 10-31-23, 01:08 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Code 1521AE is Wormerveer, nearby Koog aan de Zaan.

Thank you for this as well.

This bike turned up in the northeastern USA on Facebook Marketplace. I have no idea how it got from Wormerveer to Connecticut.

My only speculation is maybe someone who worked for a company in NYC spent time living and working in the Netherlands, and brought back the bike. I thought initially the engraved registration number was from maybe a local police department here in the US. But now it sounds as though it's a Dutch registration number and that it was truly a bike for use in the Netherlands that got brought over to the US as a one-off.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 10-31-23 at 01:18 PM.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 11-03-23, 11:10 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
If the serial number follows Danish VIN conventions the "G" at the end would be for year 1991 or 2012.
Old 11-03-23, 11:40 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Thank you for this as well.

This bike turned up in the northeastern USA on Facebook Marketplace. I have no idea how it got from Wormerveer to Connecticut.

My only speculation is maybe someone who worked for a company in NYC spent time living and working in the Netherlands, and brought back the bike. I thought initially the engraved registration number was from maybe a local police department here in the US. But now it sounds as though it's a Dutch registration number and that it was truly a bike for use in the Netherlands that got brought over to the US as a one-off.
Could also be owner's DL number, self-engraved.

Very interesting bike!
Old 11-03-23, 01:47 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

I'm inclined to think Fabio's note is on the money, given how closely it matches the Wormerveer registration prefix. It's apparently a neighboring town to where the Woudt shop is located. We don't get many bikes like this on local Facebook Market. It's mostly beat or rusty big box store mountain bikes and the like. The few old bikes that appear are either way overpriced, or toast. I agree it's an interesting bike. I really like the blue-grey color. I'll work on this bike this fall and winter.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 11-03-23 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 07:25 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

I thought it might be a cup and cone bottom bracket, but it's not. It looks like a unit that is peened in place. It runs smoothly and is original. I will leave it. Is this Gazelle pattern? Those notches are not a collar - they're peened into the bottom bracket shell. How would one even replace it? Is there some kind of one-piece unit you buy and press in?

Old 04-04-24, 01:14 AM
Ronbo Fomby

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bearings were staked into the bottom bracket shell. The bearings are sealed and may never need attention.
Just tap the axel from the other side to push out the bearing.
Likes For Ronbo Fomby:
Old 04-04-24, 01:36 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
I'm inclined to think Fabio's note is on the money, given how closely it matches the Wormerveer registration prefix. It's apparently a neighboring town to where the Woudt shop is located. We don't get many bikes like this on local Facebook Market. It's mostly beat or rusty big box store mountain bikes and the like. The few old bikes that appear are either way overpriced, or toast. I agree it's an interesting bike. I really like the blue-grey color. I'll work on this bike this fall and winter.
There was a time here that (almost) every bike had that code, it's the postal code including streetnumber of the that time owner. Was a thing here in the 80s/90s so that checks out :-)

As a Dutchie, that bike looks like a 'normal' bike to me, 13 in a dozen kinda bike. Not saying it's low quality! Far from it. Espescially if the former owner wanted to take it with him to the US. Looks decent, that's what I mean. I am sure that, if the previous owner moved a whole lot of stuff towards overseas (immigation?) he could find room in the shipping container for this. I'd probably do the same for some of my bikes...

Have fun with it!
Likes For Millstone:
Old 04-04-24, 06:41 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
I am certain I've worked on one of those about 9-10 years ago here in Philly. I remember it fit me and would have made a perfect bike for the city. I wonder if it's the same bike!?
Phil
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 04-04-24, 08:08 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Originally Posted by Ronbo Fomby
The bearings were staked into the bottom bracket shell. The bearings are sealed and may never need attention.
Just tap the axel from the other side to push out the bearing.
Yes - it looks as though the only way to remove it would be to tap it out with a mallet. I was surprised to find it was a sealed cartridge unit. There's no play in the bearings and they run smoothly. The unit is 33 years old, but perhaps best to leave it if nothing is wrong with it. I'm thinking if a replacement unit were ever needed, it would take a Gazelle unit. Shell width overall is 70mm, but the cartridge itself is slightly smaller (probably a 68mm). The extra 1mm on each side is where it's staked.
Old 04-04-24, 08:11 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Originally Posted by Millstone
There was a time here that (almost) every bike had that code, it's the postal code including streetnumber of the that time owner. Was a thing here in the 80s/90s so that checks out :-)

As a Dutchie, that bike looks like a 'normal' bike to me, 13 in a dozen kinda bike. Not saying it's low quality! Far from it. Espescially if the former owner wanted to take it with him to the US. Looks decent, that's what I mean. I am sure that, if the previous owner moved a whole lot of stuff towards overseas (immigation?) he could find room in the shipping container for this. I'd probably do the same for some of my bikes...

Have fun with it!
It's in remarkable condition overall. The paint is nice, pinstripes are all there, white fender tip looks good. Tires look original to me (Made in Holland on them) and in pretty good shape. My sense is that this bike was never a daily, working type bike. Maybe someone brought it over, thought they would use it more than they did, and just stored it in their house. There are some signs of use, but not the kind of wear and rust you'd see on a commuter in any of the northeast US cities.
Old 04-04-24, 08:22 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Originally Posted by PhilFo
I am certain I've worked on one of those about 9-10 years ago here in Philly. I remember it fit me and would have made a perfect bike for the city. I wonder if it's the same bike!?
Phil
If it was a Woudt Nevada in blue-grey, it may very well be the same bike. I got this down in Fairfield County, Connecticut. I had assumed it was someone who worked down in NYC, but it could always be a student or someone who lived in any of the east coast cities between Boston and DC and then moved. I have to believe Woudt brand was not something common in the US. The Dutch registration number on the side indicates this was a bring-over. I think this one is a Gazelle product from the look of it. Gazelles are certainly a common brand, but it looks to me like Woudt is more of a regional shop thing in the Netherlands.

You're right that this would make a good city bike. It has all the extras one would want, except maybe high-power LED lights. The lighting is the older halogen front and incandescent rear type powered by a bottle generator. It was decent technology in 1991 though. The coat guards have gotten somewhat brittle and have a few cracks in them, which is to be expected with old plastic. This one may or may not be a keeper for me. I like the color and the practical accessories, but it's going to be a lot to schlep up the hills around here (no shortage of those where I live).
Old 04-05-24, 05:55 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Such a cool find! I bought a modern Azor Dutch bike that has pretty much all the features of that one. I got it to be my grow old on bike as well as the one I use around my little mountain town to run errands. But to be honest it's so comfortable and capable that I started using it for 20+ mile touring/photography rides around the valley. It's great for that although it does an 8 speed IGH. Those frame locks are great. Mine weighs about 40 lbs so I've never been afraid of someone making off with it when only locked by that wheel lock. Can't wait to see more about yours, enjoy!