Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike mechanics/shops on TV.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 09:04 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts

I don't expect much input on this topic but I felt obligated to post having just seen an old episode of Grimm on the tube, one call "Heartbreaker," one I'd never seen before when the series originally aired. And we don't have cable or streaming, so I've never had a chance to rewatch. For those unfamiliar with the series, there exist in the populace some creatures inhabiting human bodies, creatures like lions, pigs, wolves, cats, etc., and the main character is a Portland OR police detective who has the ability to see the true nature of these creatures when dealing with them in their human forms.

Anyway, this episode featured a woman mountain biking with a group of male friends and one of the men dies mysteriously. Turns out she is a creature who can kill but it also turns out that she works in a Portland bike shop. The cops call on the place to speak with her and she's a mechanic, complete with double-arm Park stand and a tool board behind her full of neatly organized Park tools. Very convincing in the couple of shots involved. Not only that but another scene shows her riding a different bike, a road bike, to a different locale. Just like real life!

The mystery was eventually solved, of course, but speaking as someone who spent a few years working in shops and several more calling on shops as a rep, it was a treat seeing the job portrayed faithfully, however briefly. Don't often see that. Hell, don't hardly ever see that.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-13-23, 09:15 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
I might have to look that up. I know Grimm was filmed in Portland so I bet I could identify the shop where it was filmed.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-13-23, 10:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I might have to look that up. I know Grimm was filmed in Portland so I bet I could identify the shop where it was filmed.
I watched a couple of those but never saw that episode myself. It wasn't that realistic, I mean they showed Portland Police patrolling in Troutdale in an episode I saw
Old 10-13-23, 11:11 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Bike mechanics/shops on TV
Old 10-14-23, 12:11 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Why did she kill the man? Did he drive a diesel with a broken particulate filter?
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-14-23, 06:57 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I watched a couple of those but never saw that episode myself. It wasn't that realistic, I mean they showed Portland Police patrolling in Troutdale in an episode I saw
"Suspension of disbelief," is what I tell my wife when it comes to movies and TV. Accept the premise and just watch the goddam show.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-14-23, 07:15 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
grimm was filmed at local businesses and houses. they do a lot of filming by my shop. it has been in several movies.
Old 10-14-23, 03:21 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
FYI Season 4 Episode 16
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4356844/?ref_=ttep_ep16

I was bored
Old 10-31-23, 08:27 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

While not shop-related, I noticed something in the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds showing on the tube this evening. In the basement scene when the three aliens begin their search, one of them approaches a hanging bicycle and spins a wheel, producing the freewheel noise we all love. However, it's the front wheel that's spinning.

Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-31-23, 09:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Thankfully my wife rides and understands why, after 50 years in the biz, I will comment on the TV's "use" of cycling. Andy
Old 11-03-23, 07:06 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
There was an ad, for GE I think, featuring someone measuring an OD with calipers. Problem is, they were using the ID extensions. There's a lot of technical illiteracy out there.
Old 11-03-23, 07:09 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
To explain...
Old 12-13-23, 05:48 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Had a chance to watch the episode again and got a shop shot. I spent a lot of years in places like this and started this thread to celebrate their portrayal on the tube. Just like the good old days, except for the monsters and the spookiness, etc.