Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thinking about winter

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Thinking about winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 12:55 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I don't like these transition weeks. Even high 40s feels freezing so I overdress and deal with being a bit too warm. By February I'll be used to winter and high 40s will feel great.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 11-27-23, 02:29 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
lo-mid 40f's is a pretty normal low here in winter in the Los Angeles area. If you're in an area that's a little more open (way from heat-radiating buildings) then it'll drop a little lower into the high 30F's. Actually I like it at those temps as it keeps the rest of the folks indoors and off the local MUP during the week. A little chilly for the first 10-15 minutes, but after that its a nice quiet morning ride.
Old 11-27-23, 04:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
SoCal is pretty close, particularly near the coast. Winter highs are typically in the mid 60s with lows in the 40s. Summers are also pretty mild with highs in the 70s and 80s.

The only weather downside are our May Gray and June Gloom overcast months.

From this morning's ride:

How depressing

Old 11-27-23, 05:00 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
In winter I play squash, which is a very good workout, and which I can easily play without a partner when necessary. I also enjoy skiing, and look forward to when it snows, we have our ski trips already planned. We also have a new condo in Honolulu, which is very pleasant in the wintertime, but with work and kids in school, it’s hard to get out there very often. I bought a bike on our last trip out there, but it’s been hanging in the bike storage for the last 15 months.
Old 11-27-23, 05:01 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
How depressing
Cmon down if you're in the area!

I feel pretty fortunate to live where I do. Like everywhere, it has it's downsides, but the weather and terrain are hard to beat.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 11-28-23, 09:09 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Real winter just started today. 3 inches of snow and more on the way. It had snowed earlier in the month, but it melted in the morning. Now the temperature is well below freezing.
Old 11-28-23, 10:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
In winter I play squash, which is a very good workout, and which I can easily play without a partner when necessary
I've done the same w/ racquetball. tough to get a court & a partner for the same timeframe
Old 11-28-23, 03:53 PM
ChromeChainstay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
i work on my feet, so no training whatsoever until march or april.

portland maine
Old 11-29-23, 02:09 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
I got some Aerotech cold weather cycling gloves. If the weather is in the 30s, my hands still get cold, but it's tolerable. I am going to order some cold weather cycling pants soon. I have Sugoi jogging pants, but even with long johns, my legs get real cold, and then my feet start cramping. Speaking of feet, I got some booties. They helped, hoping the pants fix the foot cramp problem. I found about all this yesterday, the weather was in the upper 30s, close to 40.

My resistance exercises are going well, except for my right triceps, which I cooked. Can't train like I used to, not at all sure how to stop doing that.. Talked to my Doc today about getting PT for it.

I am always looking for new exercises, found one yesterday, the Copenhagen Plank. You lie on your side, put your higher leg on a stool, and then do a plank. You lift yourself into position with just that upper leg.

I am getting a clever hamstring exerciser for Xmas, it's only 26 bucks. It's just a bar to restrain your heels, and a thing you put under a door to anchor them. You then lift your entire body with the hamstrings. Sounds brutal.

Last edited by late; 11-29-23 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-29-23, 02:39 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
So, credits to an acquaintance who works out at our rec center. He noticed that I run there regularly and suggested that I do running-specific strength training.

I took his advice. I’ve been doing that several times a week for the last month and I’ve noticed that I’m more comfortable running, able to run much longer and last night I did 100m “strides” or accelerations and was very comfortable even sprinting as fast as I ever recall running. So, props to his insight.

With the cold, dark and inclement weather, I’m going to be following a training plan for 10K runs, with plenty of strength training as my cross training. I will try to fit in some rides when we have the occasional nice day.

Otto
Old 11-29-23, 03:00 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Using a Wahoo Kickr Core. I've thought about this and came to the conclusion that I'm just not mentally strong enough to ride outside in winter alone, at least not fast. For sure, all the clothes and gear make it harder as does the wind and poor road conditions. Rouvy though, has me riding against others and it pumps me up. Outside, I'm always alone winter or summer, just no one around to ride with so I need to find my own motivation and I'm not always great at that. Give me an hour long Rouvy ride trying to pass those ahead and fighting off those behind and I'm pushing it hard.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 11-30-23, 01:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
I just don’t enjoy winter riding here in the UK. It’s simply too cold, too damp and a generally miserable experience. I don’t mind the cold (I’m a keen skier) but I hate the constant damp. Plus our roads are dangerous enough without adverse conditions.

So I ride on Zwift and go on long ski trips instead.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-30-23, 03:39 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
What does your community transportation department use to keep the roads clear of ice? Here in southern Ontario, Canada our roads get caked in salt which is good for melting through the surface of ice but brutal on bikes. If you do ride a bike on a regular basis over the wiinter you will need to replace most of the parts or the entire bike in a few seasons as the corrosion destroys all metal parts on the bike.