Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 06:39 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by Small cog
I would think not very much at all, here is my Carlton which had a derailleur originally and I fitted a SA hub, you could use a clamp on cable pulley on the top tube if you wanted the gear cable to run that way or run it down the down tube as I have done, either way it will probably be better for it.
The pulley at the top tube/seat tube is generally a better setup. If the wheel shifts in the drop-outs, the SA indexing stays unchanged as the cable joins the indicator at about 90 degrees to the axle movement. The lower chainstay path can be harder to keep aligned and in gear. Then again, finding the older fulcrum stop/pulley/clamps assembly with a proper length of cable can be harder to find. Sorry to nit-pick, cool Carlton.
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-04-23, 04:19 AM
Cyclespanner

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
The pulley at the top tube/seat tube is generally a better setup. If the wheel shifts in the drop-outs, the SA indexing stays unchanged as the cable joins the indicator at about 90 degrees to the axle movement. The lower chainstay path can be harder to keep aligned and in gear. Then again, finding the older fulcrum stop/pulley/clamps assembly with a proper length of cable can be harder to find. Sorry to nit-pick, cool Carlton.
I have 2 cycles on the road currently, both with the lower chain-stay path.
Once the correct tension is set, that method is as good as any.

My opinion (for what it's worth) if the axle moves in the drop-outs, something requires attention.

Wheel removal with either method means the cable has to be detached anyway.

BTW I was brought up to call the 'axle' a spindle. Cars and trucks have axles.
On 2 wheeler's; it's a spindle.

Compared to a brake cable, a gear cable tension should not be enough to unduly compress the cable outer (once it's 'bedded in) and the diligent operator should already have the cable thoroughly lubricated and waterproofed.
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-04-23, 06:52 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Cranks have spindles and hubs have axles in my world. Canadian nomenclature parallels the Kings as a rule. It's not always about improper maintenance, sometimes you need to fix a flat on the road so getting that exact position in the slots is a little important. Of course readjusting the indicator works too.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be a fussy little nerd. I've had more than a few 3 speeds with chainstay routing. Worked fine but I prefer the classic path.

Last edited by clubman; 12-04-23 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-04-23, 07:23 AM
Cyclespanner

Cranks have spindles and hubs have axles in my world. Canadian nomenclature parallels the Kings as a rule. It's not always about improper maintenance, sometimes you need to fix a flat on the road so getting that exact position in the slots is a little important. Of course readjusting the indicator works too.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be a fussy little nerd. I've had more than a few 3 speeds with chainstay routing. Worked fine but I prefer the classic path.
My response wasn't intended as a criticism, merely my own view of the issue.

Returning a dismounted wheel exactly isn't critically important; the wheels alignment and security is.
Both cable routing solutions still require fine adjustment when the re-connection is completed.
We can both agree, both methods have merit.

My Seasons Greetings to you and all.
Old 12-04-23, 07:52 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
The only small issue I've had with the lower shifter cable path is gunk accumulating on the pulley. It was never enough to stop the shifting from working, but I did occasionally have to clean gunky dirt on and around the pulley. I still have two bikes with this set up (1974 Sports and 1978 DL-1), and they both shift fine. I commuted on that 1974 Sports for a few years and it always served me well in that regard, low cable and all.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 12-04-23, 08:04 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

My experience favors the top tube/seat tube pulley set up; but for different reasons. I find that my comically large feet will occasionally strike the indicator shift cable whilst pedaling (particularly in traffic or commuting situations), if the chain stay routing is used. Not great for cable wear and perfect for finding that misalignment caused “neutral” gear in the hub! The cable also tends to remain cleaner and grit free, in this location.

If one is running multiple cogs on the hub, as in a hybrid drive situation, then the chain stay path remains accessible for one’s derailleur control. This would, of course, be a rarer issue than most would face.
Old 12-04-23, 08:20 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Another perspective for cable routing on a converted derailleur frame: use the original rear derailleur path and a bare cable from the upper cable stop. On my Trek conversion this meant running the bare cable over the original plastic guide under the BB. No pulley needed. Works great too.

Cable stops to replace the down tube shift lever are readily available as well, or just get a cable stop for a three speed.

Likes For markk900:
Old 12-04-23, 08:26 AM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by SirMike1983
The only small issue I've had with the lower shifter cable path is gunk accumulating on the pulley. It was never enough to stop the shifting from working, but I did occasionally have to clean gunky dirt on and around the pulley. I still have two bikes with this set up (1974 Sports and 1978 DL-1), and they both shift fine. I commuted on that 1974 Sports for a few years and it always served me well in that regard, low cable and all.
Of course the realization became apparent that the lower pulley could be discarded altogether, to be replaced by a continuous shrouded cable (needing periodic lubrication to retain smoothness).

I must admit there's a certain 'Steampunkt' appeal to exposed cables and pulleys.

In the end, I don't see any modern cycles festooned with these obsolete features.

I can't deny, for the older machines, these items are period correct, are functional and contribute to the esthetic ethos and charm they represent.

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 12-04-23 at 08:27 AM. Reason: addition
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-04-23, 08:48 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
"Extremely rare shifter" on this old, old rod-brake Raleigh.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...07759660175421

Old 12-04-23, 08:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclespanner
BTW I was brought up to call the 'axle' a spindle. Cars and trucks have axles.
On 2 wheeler's; it's a spindle.
Okay. The Sturmey-Archer part is called an 'axle' in both the gear hubs and Dynohubs™️ and has been from the earliest days. The little doowhicky that does the shifting is called an axle key. The hold-it-to-the-bike fasteners are called axle nuts.

Fun fact: The BSA 1949 hub instructions refer to a spindle, but the 1954 instructions call it an axle.
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-04-23, 09:20 AM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by tcs
Okay. The Sturmey-Archer part is called an 'axle' in both the gear hubs and Dynohubs™️ and has been from the earliest days. The little doowhicky that does the shifting is called an axle key. The hold-it-to-the-bike fasteners are called axle nuts.

Fun fact: The BSA 1949 hub instructions refer to a spindle, but the 1954 instructions call it an axle.
After a little research I'm persuaded that an axle remains stationary while a spindle rotates.
Am I reduced to eating my hat?
Old 12-04-23, 10:02 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Very nice early Raleigh project there. I have a 1938 Raleigh US market catalog, which dates the arrival of Raleigh in the US formally to around 1933. I'm thinking that bike is a one-off 1920s era bike (looks like old nickel plating rather than chrome to me). Looks like a good challenge project for someone. Not easy to find appropriate parts for the early ones here in the US.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 12-04-23 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-04-23, 11:02 AM
Cyclespanner

Very nice early Raleigh project there. I have a 1938 Raleigh US market catalog, which dates the arrival of Raleigh in the US formally to around 1933. I'm thinking that bike is a one-off 1920s era bike (looks like old nickel plating rather than chrome to me). Looks like a good challenge project for someone. Not easy to find appropriate parts for the early ones here in the US.
Yes, 1933.
An Oxford graduate named Hamilton Osgood, after his return to his US roots and wishing to become the USA agent for Raleigh and persuade the company of his convictions he personally ordered 8 Raleigh bicycles from Nottingham and assembled them in his cellar.
One of these he rode up the streets of Manhattan to keep an appointment with the president of Abercrombie and Fitch and made a favorable impression.
That became Raleigh's initial introduction to the USA.
Osgood moved to Boston from where he took delivery of cases, each containing 25 partially assembled bicycles, becoming Raleigh Cycle Distributor, USA.
That answers the 'mystery' of why Raleigh's are so common in Boston.

That would be a feather in someone's cap; to find one of the original 8 Osgood imported.

Presumably any earlier dated cycles would have been imported by private individuals or anytime afterwards for that matter.

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 12-04-23 at 03:15 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-05-23, 12:37 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
An interesting Raleigh 3 speed on UK Ebay in Lincolnshire if anyone is in that area, the headbadge is 1960s and it is in pretty good condition with a red paint job, GB alloy brakes and a starting price of 99p, I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to sales here so search vintage Raleigh bicycle with settings to newly listed it should come up, this is the best photo.

Likes For Small cog:
Old 12-05-23, 09:42 AM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Perfect! this is exactly what I’m looking for! https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherl...-5-sturmey.pdf
Likes For FML123:
Old 12-07-23, 02:26 PM
Cyclespanner

I'd like to compile a list of Raleigh 3 speed upright utility roadsters (UK, US, Canadian post war, until their demise in the 1990's?).
Model names, when introduced and discontinued.
During that period the frames changed in subtle ways, including basic geometry.
So it would be a nice 'historical' catalogue, which as far as I know hasn't been put together before.
As these common, everyday cycles were Raleigh's 'bread and butter' it seems a shame these details aren't recorded in one place.

I've posted this on a UK based forum asking for UK home models.
It's obvious to me the cycles sold over the pond were different to UK examples, so that would be an interesting sub-list.
To minimize the list I think it sensible to exclude the none Raleigh branded machines, at least for now.

I continue my saga, reading through all past posts on this thread; up to page 674, post 16,844!
I'm pretty certain there are active members here who probably know more about this subject than we in the UK.

Your contributions will be very welcome.
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-07-23, 07:52 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I'd like to compile a list of Raleigh 3 speed upright utility roadsters (UK, US, Canadian post war, until their demise in the 1990's?).
Model names, when introduced and discontinued.
During that period the frames changed in subtle ways, including basic geometry.
So it would be a nice 'historical' catalogue, which as far as I know hasn't been put together before.
As these common, everyday cycles were Raleigh's 'bread and butter' it seems a shame these details aren't recorded in one place.

I've posted this on a UK based forum asking for UK home models.
It's obvious to me the cycles sold over the pond were different to UK examples, so that would be an interesting sub-list.
To minimize the list I think it sensible to exclude the none Raleigh branded machines, at least for now.

I continue my saga, reading through all past posts on this thread; up to page 674, post 16,844!
I'm pretty certain there are active members here who probably know more about this subject than we in the UK.

Your contributions will be very welcome.
Not quite as bold as your project but I have saved photos of every colour Raleigh Sports I have seen and have 14 including 2 tone models mostly from the 60s and 70s.
I have also complied photos of the different marques the Sports model was sold under that were owned by Raleigh, the same cable braked 26" wheel model again mostly from the 60s and 70s and have 23 including those made for chain stores such as Halfords, I feel I am able to admit this now.
Likes For Small cog:
Old 12-08-23, 04:15 AM
Cyclespanner

Not quite as bold as your project but I have saved photos of every colour Raleigh Sports I have seen and have 14 including 2 tone models mostly from the 60s and 70s.
I have also complied photos of the different marques the Sports model was sold under that were owned by Raleigh, the same cable braked 26" wheel model again mostly from the 60s and 70s and have 23 including those made for chain stores such as Halfords, I feel I am able to admit this now.
I'm also 'hoovering' photographs from the net, of these cycles.
Catalogues can be found online, but are often in a format other than my favoured jpeg files.
Also, not all are there. It's a shame Tony Hadland's book is so expensive as I'm sure many of my questions may be answered there.
BTW I opened the bidding on the red cycle you highlighted, which I'm sure is a mid 1960's 'Riviera'.
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-08-23, 08:27 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

The Hadland Raleigh book and the newer Sturmey Archer book are my two favorite bicycle books. They aren't cheap, but the writing is clear and they're loaded with photographs, advertisements, and other material. After going through those two books, found myself wishing someone had done the same for the Schwinn and Columbia brands. I have other bicycle books, but the level of detail and visual materials in those two Hadland books are a cut above. Good items to have on the Christmas list this year if you don't have them already.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 12-08-23, 09:42 AM
Cyclespanner

The Hadland Raleigh book and the newer Sturmey Archer book are my two favorite bicycle books. They aren't cheap, but the writing is clear and they're loaded with photographs, advertisements, and other material. After going through those two books, found myself wishing someone had done the same for the Schwinn and Columbia brands. I have other bicycle books, but the level of detail and visual materials in those two Hadland books are a cut above. Good items to have on the Christmas list this year if you don't have them already.
Yes I have the revised S/A volume.
The seminal work but not well edited (occasional conflict between the two authors) and reams of repetition. A dull read in my humble opinion.
Though there are lots of photo's, many of them are too small.
You'd think the initial description of the workings of the hub would be more elaborate; instead there are only a few lines and a description assuming you know already.
Ok, this is the only game in town, but I'd like to examine the Raleigh book thoroughly before shelling out the high prices being asked.
Old 12-08-23, 08:57 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Which is the “newer S/A book”? I have both Hadland books (Raleigh and S/A) and a couple of other Raleigh histories but not aware of a newer S/A tome….
Old 12-09-23, 05:10 AM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by markk900
Which is the “newer S/A book”? I have both Hadland books (Raleigh and S/A) and a couple of other Raleigh histories but not aware of a newer S/A tome….
Hi Mark.
The revised S/A book has ISBN 978-1-9993429-2-0 (2020).
It has a green and yellow cover.

Here's 'news' for you, the Hadland Raleigh book has just been revised and published.
At the moment only available via the VCC at £55. Unfortunately you have to be a member, their annual subscription is £36. So I'm toying with going down that rabbit hole.

Edit: joined the VCC and bought the book....a total of £91.
OUCH!!!

Edit 2. The new revised Hadland Raleigh book arrived today.
Better make sure I don't drop it on my foot!
Only had time for a quick glance.
I used to be a book designer and frankly could have done a better job.
It is well printed and bound.
A couple of criticisms; nearly all photographs are too small for detail identification purposes. Why print a working frame drawing so small none of the caption details are readable? Pre-war models seem to be well covered as are the postwar lightweight racers. BUT very little coverage of the later 3 speeders (which I was hoping to see).
Going in for kidney surgery tomorrow, so if I'm spared, I'll bring a more considered review afterwards.

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 12-18-23 at 12:41 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-09-23, 06:40 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Out and about this cold evening on the the 68 Superbe.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 12-11-23, 02:19 PM
Cyclespanner

An interesting Raleigh 3 speed on UK Ebay in Lincolnshire if anyone is in that area, the headbadge is 1960s and it is in pretty good condition with a red paint job, GB alloy brakes and a starting price of 99p, I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to sales here so search vintage Raleigh bicycle with settings to newly listed it should come up, this is the best photo.

Phew!
Just 'bagged' the above cycle for £31.
Looking at the photo's, very original; all it needs is a shine, a lube job and a decent Brooks saddle and a pair of pedals.
Waiting to hear from the vendor, to agree payment an arrange my trip to him; 4hrs there and back.
Lord knows where I'm going to put it.

Thanks to 'small cog', it's all his fault!

EDIT
191 mile round trip, 2 days before kidney surgery. 6 hours total, having had to stop every 20 miles to pass blood. Never again!

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 01-25-24 at 08:54 AM. Reason: addition
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-11-23, 03:37 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Phew!
Just 'bagged' the above cycle for £31.
Looking at the photo's, very original; all it needs is a shine, a lube job and a decent Brooks saddle and a pair of pedals.
Waiting to hear from the vendor, to agree payment an arrange my trip to him; 4hrs there and back.
Lord knows where I'm going to put it.
It looks about a '67? I did not know GB brakes appeared on Raleigh Sports. Thanks for saving this one. The red should look stunning pretty soon.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 12-13-23 at 11:28 AM.
Likes For 1989Pre:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.