Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should all E-bike threads be moved to Electric Bikes forum?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Where do E-Bike threads belong?
All E-Bike threads belong in Electric Bikes Forum
50.91%
E-Bike threads can reside anywhere because they are Bicycles
49.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Should all E-bike threads be moved to Electric Bikes forum?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 08:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't know where you got the notion anyone here has contempt for ebikes, or mopeds for that matter. Personally, I like almost anything on wheels, motor or not. Human powered bikes aren't necessarily superior to motorized bikes, whether ebike or gas powered. Different doesn't have to mean better or worse. I'm going to exit now, seems we are just going in circles.
Maybe not you, but there is definitely that kind of vibe going on here.
Old 07-31-23, 08:07 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't know where you got the notion anyone here has contempt for ebikes, or mopeds for that matter. Personally, I like almost anything on wheels, motor or not. Human powered bikes aren't necessarily superior to motorized bikes, whether ebike or gas powered. Different doesn't have to mean better or worse. I'm going to exit now, seems we are just going in circles.
Originally Posted by Classtime
Everyone admits that e-bikes allow you to ride beyond your abilities. If you want to ride faster or with less effort by putting a motor on your bike, no one can stop you. Most e-bikes are de jure classified as bicycles as a result of the lobbying efforts of the bicycle industry. But the fact is that e-bikes have motors that in part or in whole propel the rider. Threads about using tire levers, chain lube, brake levers, etc. can reside wherever. But e-bike threads IMO, belong in the electric bike forum. Most people don’t care and the voter turnout reflects that. A few of us are disgusted by the idea that riding a motorized bike is equivalent to riding a bicycle. I recently overheard a conversation in my neighborhood where one set of parents exclaimed to another’s child who had just received a new e-bike, “That’s a nice bicycle.” Some BF think it’s fine that we contribute to this new normal. I think it’s disgusting.
I know it’s quite subtle, but I think Classtime might not like e-bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-31-23, 10:31 AM
PeteHski

A few of us are disgusted by the idea that riding a motorized bike is equivalent to riding a bicycle. I recently overheard a conversation in my neighborhood where one set of parents exclaimed to another’s child who had just received a new e-bike, “That’s a nice bicycle.” Some BF think it’s fine that we contribute to this new normal. I think it’s disgusting.
There must be some clouds you can yell at.
Old 07-31-23, 10:58 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Where do E-Bike threads belong? - E-Bike threads can reside anywhere because they are Bicycles...

I have a hard time calling this a bicycle. It should probably be in the Motorcycle Forum.

UBCO e-bike

But either way I like the fact that all are welcome on this friendly forum. Accept for maybe the Call Girl posts... And just where did they go? Ha...
Old 07-31-23, 11:17 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I know it’s quite subtle, but I think Classtime might not like e-bikes.
actually, he’s disgustedby them! personally i can imagine such a privileged life that i have the mental energy to be so worked up about such a thing, but that goes for a lot of things online, i suppose.
Old 07-31-23, 11:18 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Where do E-Bike threads belong? - E-Bike threads can reside anywhere because they are Bicycles...

I have a hard time calling this a bicycle. It should probably be in the Motorcycle Forum.

pretty sure that vehicle would not meet any of the definitions of an e-bike in the united states! appears to be >750w, no pedals, probably goes >20mph?
Old 07-31-23, 11:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
On the other hand, throughout my ride yesterday I saw about seven e-bikes - four of which were being used to coast up hills.
That doesn't work with pedal assist, which I did specify. I'm not a big fan of throttle-only ebikes. Those go in the ebike subforum and I agree they are a lot like mopeds.

But either way I like the fact that all are welcome on this friendly forum. Accept for maybe the Call Girl posts... And just where did they go? Ha...
That's not a bicycle, it's an electric motorcycle. There are lots of those popping up nowadays. We might not even allow posts about them in the ebike forum. People can go post about them at endless sphere.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-31-23, 12:56 PM
PeteHski

UBCO e-bike

That is not the sort of extreme e-bike that people would be ever likely to discuss on this forum. It doesn't even have pedals, so it literally is an electric motorbike. A far cry from an e-road bike with a tiny electric pedal-assist motor. But some people are just too pig-headed to see any difference.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-31-23, 01:34 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
pretty sure that vehicle would not meet any of the definitions of an e-bike in the united states! appears to be >750w, no pedals, probably goes >20mph?
Law enforcement claims they cannot distinguish between class 1, 2, or 3. This claim contradicts state law mandating e-bikes to be labeled. So pedals or no pedals, 750 or 1750 watts, they are all e-bikes. Trekalized focus groups suggested that reasonable old people speeds of 12mph would not sell - hence the 28mph limit for C3 and the easy software override of lower limits for C1 and C2. Any thing goes. Law enforcement is depending on education to limit the conflicts created by allowing motor vehicles to share bicycle infrastructure. (That is straight from the Chiefs of our LEOs.)
Old 07-31-23, 02:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
I would like to see them banned (the discussion/arguments, not the bikes). But since I know that is not possible all love and hate for e-bikes should have its own forum.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-31-23, 04:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Oh how things evolve... In my generation it was 10 speeds to 24 speeds, cottered cranks to square tapper, then tubes and tubeless with a healthy mix of brifters, suspension, disk brakes, bikes with motors, engines and batteries, lions, tigers and bears... Oh My!

OK... we have got room for um all. It's not so much the bikeforums leaving e-bikes but maybe the e-bikes leaving bikeforums as they evolve into something else other then motorcycles or bicycles.

For the record I have a motorcycle history that is only predated by bicycles by a few years...
Old 07-31-23, 04:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Everyone admits that e-bikes allow you to ride beyond your abilities. If you want to ride faster or with less effort by putting a motor on your bike, no one can stop you. Most e-bikes are de jure classified as bicycles as a result of the lobbying efforts of the bicycle industry. But the fact is that e-bikes have motors that in part or in whole propel the rider. Threads about using tire levers, chain lube, brake levers, etc. can reside wherever. But e-bike threads IMO, belong in the electric bike forum. Most people don’t care and the voter turnout reflects that. A few of us are disgusted by the idea that riding a motorized bike is equivalent to riding a bicycle. I recently overheard a conversation in my neighborhood where one set of parents exclaimed to another’s child who had just received a new e-bike, “That’s a nice bicycle.” Some BF think it’s fine that we contribute to this new normal. I think it’s disgusting.
Personally, I would be happy if all discussion about gym and exercise routines, nutritional regimens, and various other poster health and fitness obsessions be sent packing to some other place. But I am only one poster and just because I find such discussions tedious, boring and only tangentially related to bicycling is no reason for me to badger those who like to discuss such subjects here. I would find such selfish behavior to be disgusting.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-31-23, 06:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
My question is why is this posted on 50+ and not on General? I would think this issue concerns more than us old dudes.

Old 08-01-23, 07:37 AM
Classtime 

My concern was the normalization of electric motor powered bikes and bicycles. If a 50+ who is a new or returning cyclist, discovers BFs and comes here for guidance or advice on getting along with CYCLING, they shouldn’t be advised to get an electric bike — in my opinion. We should be promoting the beauty and benefits of cycling. If they scan the threads and see e-bike threads here and there, they could easily interpret that electric motors are an option like raising their handle bars.

Last edited by Classtime; 08-01-23 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-01-23, 07:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
Why would it be wrong for someone to suggest a e-bike if they feel it suits the OP's needs? Your puritanical belief makes it seem like the OP will immediately be swayed by the few recommendations for a e-bike over the many other recommendations others will give.
Old 08-01-23, 08:00 AM
bikeleo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My question is why is this posted on 50+ and not on General? I would think this issue concerns more than us old dudes.
I post my question about e-bikes on the 50+ because I wanted the thoughts and opinions of those in this demographic. If I wanted the opinions of the general population I would have posted in the General section. The 50+ folks tend to answer questions and give advice and opinions way more on topic of the original post than a post in the general section would.
Ask a question here and you'll get an answer mostly coming from experience, or a though provoking counter question or opinion, again from experience. The general section post will give you a 'why are you doing that? You should do this.' response.
Likes For bikeleo:
Old 08-01-23, 08:17 AM
Classtime 

@bikeleo post your e-bike question in the electric bike forum.
Old 08-01-23, 08:54 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Whether we like them or not, want them isolated or not, foresee one in our future or not, or vote yes/no, they are here and in the wild. On the trails, bike lanes, roads, and parks around us, and more are coming.

Some will be indistinguishable from muscle powered bikes. That, I think, is where the rub is. That will have interesting impacts on the competitive aspects of recreational cycling. The degree to which people have ego and identity wrapped up in relative performance at all levels of cycling capability is surely not lost on everyone here.

It will also present significant challenges to the lowest level of organized cycling, which will be unable to detect motorized cheating. It's just going to happen. The real downside to me isn't that someone will ride a brevet with a motor, it's that that practice will throw everyone's results into question.
Old 08-01-23, 11:10 AM
PeteHski

My concern was the normalization of electric motor powered bikes and bicycles. If a 50+ who is a new or returning cyclist, discovers BFs and comes here for guidance or advice on getting along with CYCLING, they shouldn’t be advised to get an electric bike — in my opinion. We should be promoting the beauty and benefits of cycling. If they scan the threads and see e-bike threads here and there, they could easily interpret that electric motors are an option like raising their handle bars.
That's just your extreme opinion and extremes are rarely useful advice.
Old 08-01-23, 02:14 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Perhaps it might be useful to look at the words that Joe and I wrote at the beginning of this sub-forum many years ago. Does the purpose of the forum encourage or discourage the inclusion of e-bikes?

Last edited by gobicycling; 08-01-23 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-01-23, 03:48 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by gobicycling
Perhaps it might be useful to look at the words that Joe and I wrote at the beginning of this sub-forum many years ago. Does the purpose of the forum encourage or discourage the inclusion of e-bikes?
I’m none the wiser to be honest.
Old 08-01-23, 03:53 PM
PeteHski

What I can say is that all the riders I’ve come across recently on e-bikes (as in pedal assisted e-road bikes) would have qualified for the 50+ forum. The one riding friend I know who has one (alongside his normal road bike) has just turned 56. So they are relevant to this forum population.
Old 08-01-23, 08:02 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Well, I think all you roadies with your fancy shmancy multi-speed bikes are a bunch of sissies. Real cyclists ride singlespeed or fixed gear bikes.

Real cyclists

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-01-23 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-01-23, 10:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
I'm staying out of the discussion.
Will be posting far less in 50+, I'm too open minded for that demographic. And I like variety.

Hope this sentiment doesn't carry to C&V - where brifter bikes are not openly admonished.

If one wants to make the rules - have the cajonés to belly-up to Moderator. Otherwise, I say, Stop the Whinging.
Old 08-02-23, 06:42 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I'm split on this one. I want to say no if it is not e-bike specific. But don't care for the bickering that seems to happen, regardless of whether or not it's e-bike specific, between those dedicated to leg power and those who ride an e-bike. Regardless of subject matter, more times than not it seems to degrade to an "us vs. them" type of discussion (debate?). In case you're wondering, at 72 I'm still relying on leg power (tho not as much power as used to be!!). If you prefer an e-bike, that's ok with me. To each their own. I figure maybe if it was in the e-bike specific forum, maybe there would be less bickering, as perhaps those who don't care for e-bikes may not venture there.

Last edited by freeranger; 08-02-23 at 06:56 AM.
Likes For freeranger:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.