Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thinking about winter

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Thinking about winter

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 11:23 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Planks and wall sits are effective for reducing high blood pressure and strengthen cord muscles used when cycling. No equipment needed.
Old 09-04-23, 03:50 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
I am trying to find where it is 70 degrees in the winter so I can continue to ride all year long.
Phoenix. But it is not fun in the summer.
Old 09-05-23, 03:56 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Harris
Phoenix. But it is not fun in the summer.
I will leave by the end of April. Thank-you for the suggestion!
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 09-10-23, 07:24 AM
tclune

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
You are making me feel lucky to live in Minnesota, where we have miles and miles of plowed trails in the winter. The main trails get plowed as soon or even sooner than the roads.

Studs don't actually help in the snow.. Wide tires with low tire pressure are best in snow. studs help with ice. Sometimes, "mostly bare" roads have patches of ice, and when these are unexpected, the studs are very welcome. And you can ride with studs on bare roads. They slow you down a bit, just as knobby tires would.
The MUP by me in western MA is plowed, too. I wish it were a more common thing for towns to do around here. I just got my Winter Marathons for my new bike in preparation for the season. It's worth mentioning to people who are new to studded snows that you need to treat them gingerly for the first few miles because the studs get set in place when you first ride on them. FWIW
Old 09-11-23, 11:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by tclune
The MUP by me in western MA is plowed, too. I wish it were a more common thing for towns to do around here. I just got my Winter Marathons for my new bike in preparation for the season. It's worth mentioning to people who are new to studded snows that you need to treat them gingerly for the first few miles because the studs get set in place when you first ride on them. FWIW
that's great! don't forget to share ride stories over in the winter threads! there's a bunch of knuckleheads over there!
Old 10-11-23, 01:44 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12195 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun

Planks and wall sits are effective for reducing high blood pressure and strengthen cord muscles used when cycling. No equipment needed.
It's the result of doing isometrics using a lot of muscle.

I've been doing a little with squats and biceps (very little, this is part of the winter plan)

But I have a couple suggestions.. add weight, start small.

The other one is that iso-squats are an exercise that's good if you have done something with legs the day before.

https://www.skimble.com/exercises/45...to-do-exercise

Old 10-11-23, 12:42 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I do not need to use weights or power bands to strengthen my leg muscles. I get that from hill climbing. I use planks and wall sits is to maintain key core muscles then I cannot ride.

The picture of the woman with broad masculine shoulders is not going to appeal to most women, in particular those who enjoy bicycling and not working out with weights in the gym.
Old 10-11-23, 02:26 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
I live in Tucson, my real riding season is just beginning.
Old 10-12-23, 07:01 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Zwift for me in the winter. I do some winter sports like hockey, X country skiing but I really want to focus on the indoor training this year. A friend of mine joined the Zwift racing league last year, D division and he really got fit over the winter season and really helped improve his summer mountain bike racing.

I was reluctant to start Zwifting as well back in 2017 but a couple of colleagues of mine bought wheel on trainers and one guy gave me his old dumb Cyclops trainer. To test it out, I bought a set of cadence and speed sensors to attach to my crank which allowed me to fake ride through Zwift. Joining group rides and Zwifts really got me into it so made the leap and bought a smart trainer and continue to do it year-round ever since.

It's not the same as riding outside but what a great work out. Gets my heart rate way up there, sweat out litres of water and get the exhausted but good feeling when I'm done.
Old 10-12-23, 07:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I live in Tucson, my real riding season is just beginning.
ha! wow! wonder what that feels like. Wifey & I are looking forward to retiring & enjoying September in new ways. we have our typical New England Fall routines & rituals, mostly around saying goodbye to summer activities that, if we didn't have to work, could keep on enjoying. her parents, Aunt & Uncle used to rent a house on Martha's Vineyard, for the month of September, which is still gorgeous up here. I would love to do that
Old 10-12-23, 07:55 AM
late

Originally Posted by Calsun

I do not need to use weights or power bands to strengthen my leg muscles. I get that from hill climbing. I use planks and wall sits is to maintain key core muscles then I cannot ride.

The picture of the woman with broad masculine shoulders is not going to appeal to most women, in particular those who enjoy bicycling and not working out with weights in the gym.
The gal is there to illustrate the exercise I had in mind. The band hits the gluteus medius. I have some tightness and stiffness in the hips, and that's one of the things I hope will help.

Somebody brought up skeletal muscle, I walk forwards, backwards and sideways against resistance bands. Going forwards and back I can work up to a good level of resistance. Someone really active doesn't need to worry about that, but I've found it helpful, esp. when I have to push a car.

I'm trying to get back to where I was 20 years ago, I keep trying, but never seem to get there.
Old 10-12-23, 11:56 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’m about 50-50 running and biking for cardio these days. With less daylight, I just got myself a headlamp for running at night. I used it last night and it really helped me see all the uneven stuff on the sidewalks and curbs. When I don’t like the outdoor conditions, our rec center has an indoor track I can use.

I reckon I’ll leave the MTB as a 42/17 single speed so I’ll maintain some cycling strength by default. I’m sure using a cycling trainer would be beneficial for fitness, but I don’t enjoy doing cardio if I’m not actually moving, and I don’t want to stay in one place and sweat.

Otto
Old 11-07-23, 01:29 PM
late

This happens to me a lot. As the sets and intensity increases, the number of exercises I can do drops.

So I need to program in more sessions, like a standard upper/lower push/pull split..

I always get into trouble when I do that. That's even more true now that I am really old. It's not supposed to be hammertime.. I'll have a good day, and fry my muscles, and then a few days later, that body part doesn't want to be bothered, even though it's the opposing muscles.

Don't suggest a trainer, I've tried a bunch. The one guy that understood me had certifications out the wazoo, and wanted $80 an hour when most trainers were charging $30. He was worth it, I don't have that kind of dough.

If you have an idea, I'm all ears.
Old 11-07-23, 10:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Have already partially transitioned to ZWIFT for the season, however on 40*+ non-rainy days I’ll be outside. Since I have a wonky back, I do the same core exercises every two or three days year-round. Add to that a dumbbell workout and stretches, I am good.

Old 11-07-23, 10:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
There isn't really winter here but I lived in the mountains for 4 years and I had a blast riding mountain bikes in the snow. Went through a lot of brake pads and wore through some rims.
I would also ride the road bike if the roads were plowed and dry. Just have to shorten the ride a bit.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-17-23, 03:40 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
I am trying to find where it is 70 degrees in the winter so I can continue to ride all year long.
SoCal is pretty close, particularly near the coast. Winter highs are typically in the mid 60s with lows in the 40s. Summers are also pretty mild with highs in the 70s and 80s.

The only weather downside are our May Gray and June Gloom overcast months.

From this morning's ride:

Likes For Biker395:
Old 11-17-23, 06:01 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
SoCal is pretty close, particularly near the coast. Winter highs are typically in the mid 60s with lows in the 40s. Summers are also pretty mild with highs in the 70s and 80s.
Not so bad in the Bay Area, even though SoCal folks says it's too cold here.

Arm and knee warmer weather December-February, carry a vest for descents. Start rides later in the morning, after it has warmed up:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 11-18-23, 08:44 AM
late

I said earlier I often get into trouble. One of the few drawbacks of bands is the lack of a specific resistance. My left is stronger than my right, so I was doing extra to try and make the right stronger. The tricep got overcooked, and has been sore for weeks. It's really slowed me down, although it is slowly recovering.

Sometime I want to talk about the relationship between aging and exercise. I love cycling, but there are things it doesn't help. Things you don't want to lose, like skeletal muscle.
Likes For late:
Old 11-18-23, 11:00 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I love cycling, but there are things it doesn't help. Things you don't want to lose, like skeletal muscle.
Many will tell you that cycling isn't good for building skeletal muscle. I don't know about that. It sure seems to keep the muscles below the waist in shape.

I don't do much of any lower body strength training during the cycling season. The muscle soreness (DOMS) after a big ride tells me that I'm building strength.

Upper body? LOL, nothing going on up there.

Old 11-18-23, 01:44 PM
late

Originally Posted by terrymorse

Many will tell you that cycling isn't good for building skeletal muscle. I don't know about that. It sure seems to keep the muscles below the waist in shape.

I don't do much of any lower body strength training during the cycling season. The muscle soreness (DOMS) after a big ride tells me that I'm building strength.

Cycling helps, no doubt.

20 something years ago, I started doing stuff for general fitness. Like walking forwards, backwards and sideways against rubber bands. This is everyday sort of fitness, like pushing a car, or shoveling a driveway. The thinking is you want to keep as much of that as you can, because when you can't do it anymore, you've got something there.

The problem is we are all stuck with our unique histories, and your average trainer isn't equipped to deal with it if your situation is unusual. Mine is.
Old 11-19-23, 03:09 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

People make too much of the distinction of cardio vs strength training. Running and cycling can improve core and upper body muscle tone and strength training can be cardio, too.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 11-20-23, 05:47 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Preparing for winter means getting accustomed to riding in the cold. I find these fall transition months are hard, temps in 40s feel freezing just walking around. I'm forcing myself to kit up and ride this season. Otherwise I'll end up only working on the trainer. Yesterday was my 3rd cool ride, 46 degrees start temp.

The other prep is clean up and lube the trainer.
Old 11-20-23, 03:17 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I also rode outside yesterday for the first time in almost a month. During that month, I've been killing it on Rouvy. Doing 18-25 mile rides 3-4 times a week and pulling my own, passing others more than being passed, doing climbs, getting the HR up, sweating buckets. Getting back outside was a rude awakening, I'm just not in good bicycling shape. Too many hills and rough roads around where I live and indoor cycling just can't mimic that. I can't figure it out, but thinking of cutting back to 2 days riding inside and using the other days to work on flexibility and core and upper body. Just start over biking in the spring outside, as it used to be.
Old 11-25-23, 09:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
I’ve stopped thinking about winter since it appears it has already started with morning temps at or below freezing with highs in the 40s. Today’s ride involved cycling tights, base layer, jacket, 2 pair gloves, neoprene booties, and a cycling cap under my helmet to keep the low sun out of my eyes. Kept toasty warm and saw plenty of like minded souls out riding. And so it goes.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-27-23, 11:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
I also rode outside yesterday for the first time in almost a month. During that month, I've been killing it on Rouvy. Doing 18-25 mile rides 3-4 times a week and pulling my own, passing others more than being passed, doing climbs, getting the HR up, sweating buckets. Getting back outside was a rude awakening, I'm just not in good bicycling shape. Too many hills and rough roads around where I live and indoor cycling just can't mimic that. I can't figure it out, but thinking of cutting back to 2 days riding inside and using the other days to work on flexibility and core and upper body. Just start over biking in the spring outside, as it used to be.
What bike/trainer are you using for Rouvy? I do a lot of indoor riding over the winter and feel strong on the road right out of the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.