Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Total knee replacement

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Total knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-23, 07:39 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Total knee replacement

I'm 61 and I've been putting this off for as long as possible, November I'm going to get it done, the pain is horrible and I can't ride and can barely walk. anyone else get a tkr? when were you able to get back on the bike? dr said I would be out of work for 2 months, I'm a welder. I'm more interested in getting back riding than I am of going back to work, lol. I haven't ridden in weeks and I really need the mental stress relief I get from riding.
Old 10-21-23, 07:54 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
I feel your pain, looking at getting both replaced over the next 7-8 months. I’ll be 72 next month. Unlike you I have been able to ride, and that has helped the arthritis but day in and day out simple movement, stair climbing etc has become pretty uncomfortable. I’ve had one appointment and going for a second opinion soon. The first set of X-rays showed I would benefit from both knees being replaced. I’ll follow the thread, good luck with your surgery. I’m pretty sure you’ll be riding again at some point and enjoying it. Good luck

Last edited by Jtmav; 10-21-23 at 09:23 AM.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 10-21-23, 02:21 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
I'm 58, and have had both knees replaced...the left was done five years ago, and the right was done almost two years ago with a revision done almost a year ago.

I went back to work both times after four weeks, as long as I was being cautious...I'm on my feet a lot, with occasional kneeling and crawling under desks.

I think I started riding cautiously after six weeks the first time, eight weeks the second. As long as you're not really hammering it hard and are using your gears appropriately, you'll do okay. It's the surrounding tissue that you have to be concerned with, not the artificial joint itself.

Also, I don't know how widespread it is yet, but my right knee was a press-fit into the bone, rather than being cemented in place. The pieces have barbs on the spike of the metal pieces to prevent them from coming loose. The cement is the main point of failure on artificial joints, so this is a good thing. On the other hand, the press-fit joint hurts a lot more in the short term...they literally hammer the things into place, and I'm told it's pretty revolting to watch.
Likes For arex:
Old 10-21-23, 02:33 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I have had both knees done as tkr's. The left one first back in 2008 and the right one done in 2013. The first one took longer to heal and I ended up using a walker for months. . And also longer for me to be able to move around really well. The second one I was up and moving with a cane right away as I had one good leg to stand on. I haven't had any pain with them since the surgery. I was able to ride before the surgery so I never missed riding. It was the walking I couldn't do, as it caused enormous pain. I even started using the go-carts when I went into a market if they were available. But I understand your pain and frustration of not riding. The physical therapist should have you on a bike as physical therapy, or at least that is what they did for me.

I will say they used different pain medication for the two surgerys, and yet both surgeries were by the same doctor. The first surgery they gave me Oxycontin and said to take it every 4 hours and stay on top of the pain. The second surgery they didn't give oxycontin at all. I don't remember what they did use but it wasn't oxycontin.

Let us know how you make out with your surgery.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 10-21-23, 05:26 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I had my right knee replaced in Feb. 2022. I was walking with a cane the next day, but the pain was significant (to say the least).
My recovery was complicated by cellulitis (skin infection), fortunately the joint did not get infected.
I was back to work in 5 weeks, but I don't think I could have done kneeling.
I really worked hard at rehabbing, including stationary bike, ROM and strength training.
I was back on the bike after 5-6 months, probably could have been a bit sooner if I had wanted to push it.
It took me well over a year to get to the point where it feels almost like normal, and I can pretty much do whatever I want to.

The rehab is key. If you don't get full ROM back, you will likely be disappointed. Your physical therapist will guide you, but you have to be obsessive about the home exercise program.

Good luck!
Likes For MikeWMass:
Old 10-22-23, 09:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Be sure you are diligent about doing your post-op PT no matter the pain (unless excessive). You don’t want scar-tissue build-up. Best of luck, your life will be much better.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-25-23, 07:15 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I just had RIGHT knee replacement Monday morning. Like most, I’d had trouble with it for several years. Fortunately, in my case, it wasn’t preventing me from riding, nor even presented pain while riding. The one exception was that I couldn’t pedal out of the saddle. Just too much pressure on that knee. The doc and PT cleared me for stationary pedaling with very low resistance. (Note: Make sure you set up your trainer before you go in.) Twenty-four hours later (yesterday) I was on the trainer for 15 minutes. But, I was still feeling the affect of the general anesthesia, and had some range of motion in the surgical knee. Today (Wednesday), the GA has completely worn off and am experiencing significantly more pain. Not as much range, so I dunno if I’m going to try today or not.

Dan
Old 10-25-23, 09:18 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I just had RIGHT knee replacement Monday morning. Like most, I’d had trouble with it for several years. Fortunately, in my case, it wasn’t preventing me from riding, nor even presented pain while riding. The one exception was that I couldn’t pedal out of the saddle. Just too much pressure on that knee. The doc and PT cleared me for stationary pedaling with very low resistance. (Note: Make sure you set up your trainer before you go in.) Twenty-four hours later (yesterday) I was on the trainer for 15 minutes. But, I was still feeling the affect of the general anesthesia, and had some range of motion in the surgical knee. Today (Wednesday), the GA has completely worn off and am experiencing significantly more pain. Not as much range, so I dunno if I’m going to try today or not.

Dan
Dan,
Keep up the posts. I am going for my right knee in 9 days (Nov 3rd). Like you, I can ride fine but walking limited. I am interested in your progress. It sounds like you had a nerve block on your leg along with general anesthesia. They say the nerve block wears off in 2-3 days and then the real pain of knee replacement kicks in. Good luck on your recovery.
Tailwinds,
Charlie
Old 10-26-23, 01:44 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Chancy
They say the nerve block wears off in 2-3 days and then the real pain of knee replacement kicks in.
Yeah, I think I’m there. It’s 3:30am and the pain is keeping me awake. And I’ve gone from good movement on day 1 to not being able to move it, or stand on it at all. The area around it is really warm to the touch, so I hope there isn’t an infection. The visiting nurse is scheduled to come in a few hours.

Dan
Old 10-26-23, 03:08 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Thanks for sharing your updates. 52, going in Monday for right TKR…
Old 10-26-23, 03:34 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Yeah, I think I’m there. It’s 3:30am and the pain is keeping me awake. And I’ve gone from good movement on day 1 to not being able to move it, or stand on it at all. The area around it is really warm to the touch, so I hope there isn’t an infection. Dan
I am not a medical person so I am not saying there isn't an infection. But one of the things I was told was with a tkr that you will feel throbbing in the night. Which I found to be true. But I think that is just because there is nothing else to distract the mind in the middle of the night.

Wishing you the best of luck with your tkr.
Old 10-29-23, 11:03 AM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yeah, I think I’m there. It’s 3:30am and the pain is keeping me awake. And I’ve gone from good movement on day 1 to not being able to move it, or stand on it at all. The area around it is really warm to the touch, so I hope there isn’t an infection. The visiting nurse is scheduled to come in a few hours.

Dan
_ForceD_,
I wish you well with your recovery and hope your pain is getting more manageable. Any improvement in movement?

Tailwinds,
Charlie
Old 10-29-23, 01:07 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
See the thread in "Pills and Ills"
"Help preparing knee replacement"
https://www.bikeforums.net/pills-ill...placement.html
Old 10-29-23, 06:31 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Chancy
_ForceD_,
I wish you well with your recovery and hope your pain is getting more manageable. Any improvement in movement?

Tailwinds,
Charlie
So it was not infected, and according to the visiting nurse, everything is perfectly normal and expected. She got me on a proper frequency cycle for the pain meds, and within 24 hours the pain was greatly reduced. I was sleeping ok, but wasn’t getting up in the night to take meds. That’s important…keep the meds up so that the pain can’t take hold. Now, a few days later it’s not so sore as it is just stiff. I think/hope I’ll be able to transition off the heavy ones in a few days. I’m just one week since the surgery. I’ll begin outpatient PT a week from Monday, Nov 6.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 10-29-23 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-31-23, 10:41 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
My wife in in early 70's and just had her second knee done 4 weeks ago. Best advice as stated above is to be diligent about PT, both going to appointments and at-home exercises. Actually the best advice is to go to the best surgeon you can find, someone who does these all the time and had good success. We bought a used recumbent stationary bike before the first replacement and my wife is about ready to start using it again. My wife used a walker the first couple of days then quickly moved to a cane. She's been assistance free for a couple of weeks but still has some nerve pain. Don't take any more of the heavy duty pain meds than you absolutely need, but take tylenol/ibuprofen as you need it, especially to sleep. We have an adjustable bed (head up, foot up, etc.) and that made the first week or two a lot easier. Use ice warps/cooling machine the first couple of weeks to help keep swelling down. She used one of these and later ice wraps.
https://www.breg.com/products/dvt-pr...vpulse/vpulse/
Old 10-31-23, 01:26 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

So in a pre-op appointment with the surgeon, I was asking him about the construction of the implant that he’d use. We talked about materials, their longevity, and how and why they wear out. He gave me all the info, and I kind of jokingly asked “Can I run a marathon on it?” He said “I wouldn’t.” But seriously I asked if I could go back to sprint triathlons, or short road races. He was non-committal. But said that at any rate I should continue riding the bike. I’ve noticed that orthopedic surgeons tend to get serious and condescending when asked that, and similar questions about artificial joints. Same kind of thing happened when I got my artificial hip. But, I never got the name of my knee manufacturer, or the device name. So, earlier today I emailed his office and asked if they could provide it. They sent me a URL link, and the first page tells me that I have the “Stryker Triathlon® Knee System”
https://www.strykermeded.com/media/1...l-protocol.pdf

Dan
Old 11-01-23, 07:28 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 67 Posts
I had total right knee in Feb 2022 when I was 81. I was back on my road bike in March one month later. I needed a cane to walk but riding was not hard. I have photo and video here on my ipad but it would not upload. Need to use laptop to up load on here
Ed
Old 11-01-23, 11:45 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Yep, the “Stryker Triathlon® Knee System” is a great series of replacements. My buddy got one a decade ago, then this year he got a newer model for the other knee. 6 weeks after the replacement surgery, he was refereeing an ice speedskating meet.
I got a Global Medacta Total Knee replacement. Two and a half weeks after surgery, I was walking a 2¼ mile loop.
Old 11-01-23, 12:02 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
omg I glanced thru that pdf about the Triathlon Knee Protocol and almost tossed my lunch. (slight exaggeration)

To all that have had their knees done: best to you for continued good results.

I'm having some issues with my right knee and am hoping it's not arthritis.
Old 11-01-23, 03:20 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
omg I glanced thru that pdf about the Triathlon Knee Protocol and almost tossed my lunch. (slight exaggeration)
The knee isn’t bad.
I have a similar link from the manufacturer of the artificial hip I got about 5-6 years ago. Recovery from hip replacement is much easier. But you should see twisting, cutting, and contorting your leg has to go through just so the surgeon can begin his/her work. Hip replacement requires a special operating table designed just for this procedure. Then once the joint is installed, and before the close, they have to do all twisting and contorting again to make sure it’s in securely.

Dan
Old 11-06-23, 03:47 PM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

One week post "Stage Right" TKR - done last Monday 10/30 early am... 53 (and 3 days) YO male, recreational cyclist. 6'8" tall, Relatively decent level of fitness and cycling. Mostly road with lotsa hills.

Surgery was pretty smooth. Hardly noticed the spinal block and woke up in my room post-procedure. I did get to see the OR and it looked like a clean version of the power tool room from Hostel...

I did pass out trying to get lowered to the (super low) toilet in my room. I blame the nurse who didn't do her part... Woke up to 20+ folks staring at me on the bathroom floor. Good times.

I was able to lift up my leg (R) on the day of and day after. Not so for the next few days - so buying one of those amazon leg lifters was a great pro tip I'd gotten. I can now lift it as needed.

Home by 3pm same day. Probably would've been home by 1pm had I stuck the mount on the crapper. Moderate pain starting which meant the spinal block and whatever else they loaded me up on were on the way out.

I'd planned to be back at work by Wednesday. I work for a software company, 90% remote. Did NOT happen. I needed the whole week.

Work with your nurses on meds strategies. Constipation WILL happen. You WILL survive. I did til the weekend when I decided heroically (and stupidly) that I was done with opioids. I felt a ton better, but still had some pain which has been preventing good sleep. No bueno. Tonight I'll be back on the tylenol/tramadol regimen. Staying with the stool softeners - do NOT plan on backing up again if I have anything to say about it.

First PT was Thursday. I've been doing stretching and lots of movement. I was hoping for 90 degrees - I easily hit 94deg. First PT was a breeze.

Sunday finally sat on the bike trainer (road bike, H2). Dropped seat about 2". After 10 minutes or so of back and forth I was able to make complete revolutions!

Relied on crutches. Stage right leg muscles are GONE. Slowly rebuilding. Have pain for the first 2-3 min walking/using crutches. Now I walk with a walking stick (like for hiking, not a "cane" lol).

I've walked about a half mile at a go, have spun with no resistance on the trainer in small doses, like 5-10 mins at a go.

Next PT tomorrow. Guessing the honeymoon is over and won't be such a cake walk.

Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience thus far.

LAXPatrick
Galesville, WI
Old 11-07-23, 06:28 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by laxpatrick
One week post "Stage Right" TKR - done last Monday 10/30 early am... 53 (and 3 days) YO male, recreational cyclist. 6'8" tall, Relatively decent level of fitness and cycling. Mostly road with lotsa hills.

Surgery was pretty smooth. Hardly noticed the spinal block and woke up in my room post-procedure. I did get to see the OR and it looked like a clean version of the power tool room from Hostel...

I did pass out trying to get lowered to the (super low) toilet in my room. I blame the nurse who didn't do her part... Woke up to 20+ folks staring at me on the bathroom floor. Good times.

I was able to lift up my leg (R) on the day of and day after. Not so for the next few days - so buying one of those amazon leg lifters was a great pro tip I'd gotten. I can now lift it as needed.

Home by 3pm same day. Probably would've been home by 1pm had I stuck the mount on the crapper. Moderate pain starting which meant the spinal block and whatever else they loaded me up on were on the way out.

I'd planned to be back at work by Wednesday. I work for a software company, 90% remote. Did NOT happen. I needed the whole week.

Work with your nurses on meds strategies. Constipation WILL happen. You WILL survive. I did til the weekend when I decided heroically (and stupidly) that I was done with opioids. I felt a ton better, but still had some pain which has been preventing good sleep. No bueno. Tonight I'll be back on the tylenol/tramadol regimen. Staying with the stool softeners - do NOT plan on backing up again if I have anything to say about it.

First PT was Thursday. I've been doing stretching and lots of movement. I was hoping for 90 degrees - I easily hit 94deg. First PT was a breeze.

Sunday finally sat on the bike trainer (road bike, H2). Dropped seat about 2". After 10 minutes or so of back and forth I was able to make complete revolutions!

Relied on crutches. Stage right leg muscles are GONE. Slowly rebuilding. Have pain for the first 2-3 min walking/using crutches. Now I walk with a walking stick (like for hiking, not a "cane" lol).

I've walked about a half mile at a go, have spun with no resistance on the trainer in small doses, like 5-10 mins at a go.

Next PT tomorrow. Guessing the honeymoon is over and won't be such a cake walk.

Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience thus far.

LAXPatrick
Galesville, WI
Thanks for sharing this, I’m scheduled for my first TKR Feb 1 but could go sooner as I am on a cancellation list. Second one next April. Curious to see how you progress, although I’m close to 20 years older than you. I cycle around 50 miles a week and am in reasonably good shape, no underlying health issues but everyone is different. Best of luck with your recovery
Old 11-07-23, 09:13 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
they literally hammer the things into place, and I'm told it's pretty revolting to watch.
Maybe 30 years ago I found myself watching a show on PBS that was documenting a TKR surgery. Cameras in the OR, close-ups and everything, with running commentary from the surgeon performing the operation. It was fascinating.

At one point the surgeon had a hammer and a chisel, for shaping the bone to receive the implant, and he says "I'm just doing basic carpentry now" (!!!)
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 11-07-23, 09:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
rob214

how you doing? the owner of our company had a similar knee procedure & had an uncomfortable recovery requiring draining several times. seems like knee work recovery is different that hip work. wishing you well
Old 11-07-23, 09:54 AM
abicyclebum

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am 74 and my right knee barely bends enough to ride a bike. It sucks. I have heared horror stories, so I am afraid to get a replacement. Good luck-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.