Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling app?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 08:48 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Cycling app?

I have been using Map My Ride for a while. I chose it just because it was free. It maps ok but I have doubts about the accuracy of the stays. The other day while riding a local paved trail I saw at one point my computer that I hit 24mph. Map My Ride showed my high speed as 42mph.
What app do most riders use? I see several routes posted where the rider used Strava. How it it?
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 03-11-24, 08:52 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
That's probably more function of the phone that you are using. They can only calculate speed and distance with the data they are given.

I have used strava on my phone, garmin bike computer, garmin watch, apple watch etc...

They all at one time have said I was going way to fast on some rides for a second or two.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 03-11-24, 09:17 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
That's probably more function of the phone that you are using. They can only calculate speed and distance with the data they are given.

I have used strava on my phone, garmin bike computer, garmin watch, apple watch etc...

They all at one time have said I was going way to fast on some rides for a second or two.

Thanks. I didn’t think about it being my phone. I have an I-Phone 12.
I will keep using the app I have rather than learning something new.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 03-11-24 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added a sentence.
Old 03-11-24, 09:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I’ve used 4 different Garmin cycling computers, a Wahoo and a Hammerhead. I tried a phone app, couldn’t see the screen, now the Garmin works pretty much flawlessly and sends my data to RideWithGPS, which I used as an activity tracker as well as route planner for navigable routes I can send to the Garmin. Paying for a dedicated device has been worth it,
Old 03-11-24, 10:09 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’ve used 4 different Garmin cycling computers, a Wahoo and a Hammerhead. I tried a phone app, couldn’t see the screen, now the Garmin works pretty much flawlessly and sends my data to RideWithGPS, which I used as an activity tracker as well as route planner for navigable routes I can send to the Garmin. Paying for a dedicated device has been worth it,
I don’t look at the screen while riding. I start the app and put my phone in a pocket. I just use it to record my ride. It is independent of my bicycle computer.
Old 03-12-24, 04:21 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
It's a small/not small investment, depending on how you look at it.

But a Garmin/Wahoo type bike computer is absolutely the best device for riding. Phones are OK, but can have limited battery life, so-so tracking ability...

Dedicated bike computers just flat work. They will wirelessly connect to just about every type of device you can put on a bike - cadence sensors, speed sensors, heart rate, power, rear facing radars... they track and map rides better, they upload to Strava, they track and help with basic training plans - and they connect to your phone. Receiving texts or alerting you of important phone calls, and they will transmit a crash or incident back to your phone/text emergency contacts.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 03-12-24, 07:01 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
What app do most riders use?
Dedicated Garmin bike computer with the Garmin Connect app that is synced with Strava.

You don't have to look at the screen while riding. Not sure why you made that comment.
Old 03-12-24, 07:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Make sure that app has the full permissions it wants to use the GPS of your phone. But it might be battery optimization on your phone that is messing it up. So check that and don't let your phone restrict battery time for that app or put it to sleep.

Still, this is one place where a dedicated GPS Cyclometer might do better for you if it's going to bother you about the inconsistencies. Not to say that you won't be bothered by other weird goings on with the dedicated GPS.

I thought you used a dedicated GPS/Cyclometer. Does it not pair to the MapMyRide App? RWGPS has a phone app. You might try that. Out of the big three for making routes, I've always preferred RWGPS.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-12-24 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-12-24, 08:17 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I use Mapmyride. It is sufficient for my needs as I am only concerned with distance travelled.
Old 03-12-24, 08:20 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
I have been using Map My Ride for a while. I chose it just because it was free. It maps ok but I have doubts about the accuracy of the stays. The other day while riding a local paved trail I saw at one point my computer that I hit 24mph. Map My Ride showed my high speed as 42mph.
What app do most riders use? I see several routes posted where the rider used Strava. How it it?
I've used Ride with GPS, Garmin Connect and Strava. I only use Ride with GPS now if I have to; its interface is SO clunky.

I use Strava all the time. It's pretty well-tuned up. They have a free trial with all the features and when that runs out, you get a less featured but still useful version. I decided to pay for the subscription to have the full version and I really like it. What it does that I like so well is motivate me to ride more. I got my friends roped in, half of my bike club and I meet new riders from around the world. I'm currently in the "Challenge Yourself to Ride 5,000 Miles This Year" group, based in the UK. Any other app, once you learn to use it, will do mapping and keep track of stats, but Strava is the most motivational. It's not only a tracking/GPS/stat app, but also essentially a social network for athletes of all levels.

I bought a stand-alone GPS for my bike (Garmin) and it pairs with the free Garmin Connect app. Garmin connect then can be set up to upload automatically to Strava.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 03-12-24, 08:32 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
As mentioned, it's dependent on the GPS recording and not the app per se. While I prefer a cycling computer (over a fitness tracker, over a smartphone, in that order), sometimes there could be something along the route itself where GPS tracking can be unreliable (eg, under tunnels, where the are many tall buildings).
Old 03-12-24, 11:22 AM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
I record and upload my rides from my Garmin Edge to Connect. Connect pushes to Strava and other apps such as TrainingPeaks & Rouvy. My speed and odometer are based on a speedometer sensor calibrated to the diameter of my rear wheel. What I recorded and what Strava reports are two different things. Strava does what Strava does, and I don't really care much about its output other than normalizing the elevation gain and pushing to apps that cannot connect to Connect, such as MyWhoosh. Garmin's altimeter is okay but not the best, and Strava doesn't recognize bridges (which is true for all mapping apps online I have seen). I use Strava for its social aspects, the summary reports, and push. Each has its uses and shortfalls.
Old 03-12-24, 12:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
My choice is a Wahoo Element Bolt computer with rides automatically uploading to Strava. My Zwift and Rouvy rides also upload to Strava, so all my cycling-related activities and data are in one place. I also appreciate the social media aspect of Strava where I can see what/where other people I'm connected with are riding. For people local to me, sometimes I learn about a new route segment that I wasn't aware of. For people not local to me - especially good friends -I enjoy seeing where they're riding.
Old 03-12-24, 02:56 PM
AndyJoK

Bikes: too many and not enough

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use a garmin unit, forget which model but its a newer 1000, maybe 1030.

They are great, loaded with features (not many of which i need or use but) and keep track of all the good details in pretty accurate form.

I refuse to use my phone for recording rides, mainly because I want to disconnect from the world. Plus if i have an issue, I have a full cell phone battery. These days garmin units have bluetooth and crash alert systems, that can send a message to your selected person(s) and even call emergency folks.

thats my 2 cents at least
Old 03-12-24, 03:14 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I don’t look at the screen while riding. I start the app and put my phone in a pocket. I just use it to record my ride. It is independent of my bicycle computer.
if you have a bicycle computer & sync it to your phone, the MPH should be a bit more consistent.
A smart watch might even add some value to the data.
Old 03-12-24, 03:52 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Troul
if you have a bicycle computer & sync it to your phone, the MPH should be a bit more consistent.
A smart watch might even add some value to the data.
I have an apple watch 8.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 03-13-24, 07:01 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I use RideWithGPS and pay for the basic subscription. This lets me setup a maintenance schedule for my bicycle on all the services I need to do during the course of a year. And it shows me trends when things are wearing out prematurely.
Old 03-13-24, 09:44 AM
prj71

The problem with using phones, is that if you go for longer rides you will kill the battery.
Old 03-13-24, 04:31 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Just turn your phone upside-down.
Old 03-13-24, 04:36 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
The problem with using phones, is that if you go for longer rides you will kill the battery.
What exactly is a long ride. I've 6 hour rides with plenty of phone battery left. But I'm also not watching it while riding either.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-13-24, 05:21 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by spelger
What exactly is a long ride. I've 6 hour rides with plenty of phone battery left. But I'm also not watching it while riding either.
The map my ride app just runs in the background. Nothing displays until the end of my ride when I open my phone. I’m not using it as a cycling computer. That would kill the battery.
Old 03-13-24, 09:45 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I just use ride by gps. And I don't use it for stats, I just use it to find routes and ride them. I like the beeps it has, so I can just ride and it tells me when to turn right or left or if I missed a turn.

I also don't ride more than 4 hrs at a time anyway.
Old 03-13-24, 09:52 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
One issue using a phone with an app is many riders want to view metrics like speed, distance, ride time, etc…. on screen while they ride. Viewing this all the time can really kill phone battery life. Garmin gets around this by using a lesser quality screen and lower resolution. When you use up battery life, you lose the ability to make an emergency call if needed, or to maintain a live track feature. As well the screens don’t read as well in sunlight usually, so you are fighting that. Theres a reason many folks who have experience with dedicated cycling computers recommend them.
Old 03-14-24, 09:41 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Steve B.
One issue using a phone with an app is many riders want to view metrics like speed, distance, ride time, etc…. on screen while they ride. Viewing this all the time can really kill phone battery life. Garmin gets around this by using a lesser quality screen and lower resolution. When you use up battery life, you lose the ability to make an emergency call if needed, or to maintain a live track feature. As well the screens don’t read as well in sunlight usually, so you are fighting that. Theres a reason many folks who have experience with dedicated cycling computers recommend them.
Exactly!!!!

Dedicated cycling computers are relatively cheap these days.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-14-24, 11:18 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by prj71
Exactly!!!!

Dedicated cycling computers are relatively cheap these days.
I use a computer for that. The Map My Ride is to keep a record.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.