Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Snow Ride........ Take It Easy........

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 12:20 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts

it was snowing pretty hard when i left this morning. i hadn't had a proper snowstorm ride in quite a while.

falling, accumulating snow requires a bit of extra care and caution, even with my studded tire winter beast.

i didn't budget enough time. i was 7 minutes late. but i was in one piece. i am officially "crazy" in the eyes of my co-workers.

i might very well be crazy, but damn that was a crapload of fun! i just have to remember to add "snow time" for next time.

how much does active snow slow you down?
Old 12-30-15, 12:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
haha right on! next time when you walk in ... take a bow!
Old 12-30-15, 01:03 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
+1 ^
Old 12-30-15, 01:38 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Of course you're crazy. But why be normal?

J.
Old 12-30-15, 01:54 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
It depends on how much snow is on the road but my winter commute is slower anyway. I'm sure snow can add another 20 minutes. If I happen to notice people passing me on foot then I know it's time to take the train instead.
Old 12-30-15, 08:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
You may appear to be crazy but you definitely aren't as grumpy as your coworkers who have to drive through the stuff.
Old 12-31-15, 12:38 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Active snow? Probably about 1-2 minutes per mile on the breezer. I try to not go out if it's super heavy falling snow, because people tend to not be able to see me. Unlike rain or fog, snow can obscure a cyclist entirely, even if for only a moment. What if that moment is when they are about to turn? What if they never see you and someone else comes along and hits you after you've fallen? Snow requires 3 things: 1. extra caution and awareness at intersections and on turns/curves, 2. knowing where the spots to avoid under the snow are, and 3. eye protection. Everything else is basically the same as a cold or wet (or both in this case) ride. Stay well clear of everything, and have alternate routes in case the somewhat likely motorist gone 4 wheel tobogganing does not keep you from your destination.

- Andy
Old 12-31-15, 11:13 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
snow what is that? all we have had is liquid precip! 58F this morning!
Old 12-31-15, 11:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
So far in the dry, the studded snow tires take 1.5 miles per hour off my average speed which adds about 5 minutes to my 40 minute commute in to work (-450ft total elevation change) and 10 minute to my ride home (+450 ft). Two to three inches of fresh powder cut my average speed in half, for an 80 minute commute to work. And the couple of full-glare ice rides also slowed me by half. The length of time the rest of my combination dry/ice/snow rides seem to correlate with the percentage of dry pavement I encounter. I suppose as I get even more comfortable riding in snow and ice, my average speeds may increase.
Old 12-31-15, 12:05 PM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I suppose as I get even more comfortable riding in snow and ice, my average speeds may increase.
This comment triggered something in me. We've had a big snowfall over the last couple of days, 30cm (12") and it has only just been cleared up. I was looking at the sidewalks and MUPs that I would be riding on and wondering if I really have the skills to navigate these snow-covered paths but your comment above, "as I get even more comfortable riding in snow and ice" meant to me that I should just get out there and do it.

I've been chickening out because of the two falls (and one near-fall with a shaky recovery on a very busy street) I had in late November. I've also been running a low-grade fever this week and that has sapped my enthusiasm about everything.

Thanks for saying that, it's inspiring me to get out back out there.
Old 12-31-15, 12:33 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
This comment triggered something in me. We've had a big snowfall over the last couple of days, 30cm (12") and it has only just been cleared up. I was looking at the sidewalks and MUPs that I would be riding on and wondering if I really have the skills to navigate these snow-covered paths but your comment above, "as I get even more comfortable riding in snow and ice" meant to me that I should just get out there and do it.

I've been chickening out because of the two falls (and one near-fall with a shaky recovery on a very busy street) I had in late November. I've also been running a low-grade fever this week and that has sapped my enthusiasm about everything.

Thanks for saying that, it's inspiring me to get out back out there.
This is one reason I love bikeforums. I myself have found inspiration and encouragement (as well as practical knowledge) from other members. I will mention to you, jrickards, that I have yet to fall, but I have had some icy ruts and hidden potholes violently knock my wheels which can lead to a momentary loss of control and balance. I suppose single-track and trail riders are used to this, but I sure as hell ain't. One thing that helps me is that I use toe clips, but I am able to flip them over and ride footloose so as to quickly put a foot (or both feet) down. I am surprised at how far off balance I can be and still right myself. Of course at 5-7mph that's easier than 10-15mph. Happy, safe and warm riding to you and a happy new year!
Old 12-31-15, 12:50 PM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
This is one reason I love bikeforums. I myself have found inspiration and encouragement (as well as practical knowledge) from other members. I will mention to you, jrickards, that I have yet to fall, but I have had some icy ruts and hidden potholes violently knock my wheels which can lead to a momentary loss of control and balance. I suppose single-track and trail riders are used to this, but I sure as hell ain't. One thing that helps me is that I use toe clips, but I am able to flip them over and ride footloose so as to quickly put a foot (or both feet) down. I am surprised at how far off balance I can be and still right myself. Of course at 5-7mph that's easier than 10-15mph. Happy, safe and warm riding to you and a happy new year!
In all cases, 2 falls and 1 near fall, I was clipped in but now I've switched bikes and am not clipped in any longer although I do use a cage without the straps so that I won't slip forward off the pedals with snowy boots and also my feet are in the right position for pedaling.

Happy New Year to you too!
Old 12-31-15, 01:36 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Only added 5-10 minutes to my commute but didn't snow more than a inch. Not sure how much 2-3 inches would add! Alot of hills on my route. I got the same reaction from my coworkers.. most thought the studded tires were awesome. Worse part was the snow in the eyes. No win situation even with googles.
Old 01-04-16, 02:17 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I backed out today. We got snow yesterday... about an 1/2 inch. Then we got freezing rain on top of that. Any roads that got a lot of traffic were fine, but low traffic areas were like a skating rink. The MUP is a low traffic area. I don't have studded tires. It's disappointing to start the new year with an auto commute. I'm hoping that it will warm up enough for the surface on the MUP to melt so I can ride the bike tomorrow.