Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling Reports - July 12/13

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 05:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Another weekend! Tell us about your cycling and other sports activities this weekend ... or during the week if you've had a great ride on a Tuesday or something.

[HR][/HR]

Saturday - beach walk.

And Mt Wellington with snow ... it was rather chilly out there ...

Last edited by Machka; 07-13-14 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-12-14, 04:56 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thurs: 32mi ride with our thurs night group

fri-sat resting up for sundays century. will be my 2nd of the year and my friend's first ever
Old 07-12-14, 07:48 PM
parkersdad

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 21 miles today and 20 miles two other days this week. I am in Michigan on vacation and these flat roads are nice compared to what I'm used to riding on. I average a little bit over 18 mph up here and in North Carolina I average around 16.5. There are some beautiful rides in Michigan though.
Old 07-12-14, 07:53 PM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
35 hot miles
Old 07-12-14, 09:20 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
This weekend I am test riding a used bike that I might buy as my back-up bike. My main squeeze is a BMC GF01, which I totally love. But I like cycling so much that having just one bike is not enough, for example the BMC is in the shop so I've had nothing to ride for a week now. Well, not really nothing, I have a back-up bike that I just don't like.

The bike I'm testing this weekend is a Madone. So far, I like it. I rode 32 flat miles yesterday and 50 slightly hilly miles today.

Old 07-12-14, 11:24 PM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Just got back from a nice ride near my home. Those are The Olympic Mountains in the distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0009.jpg (97.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-12-14, 11:42 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
3.1 miles of hiking at aluminum rock.
Old 07-13-14, 01:18 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
We got out for a recreational ride!! Our first ride this month! It felt so good to be out again.

After being sick for the last couple months, and what with it being winter, we haven't been out much since April.

It was a beautiful sunny day with a high of about 13C and a bit of a breeze, and we rode the cycleway ... 26.75 km.
Old 07-13-14, 04:57 AM
NABodie

Bikes: '13 Felt F85, Giant Revel 1 29er, '16 Giant AnyRoad 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27 very hilly miles yesterday.
Old 07-13-14, 05:54 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by Machka
We got out for a recreational ride!! Our first ride this month! It felt so good to be out again.

After being sick for the last couple months, and what with it being winter, we haven't been out much since April.

It was a beautiful sunny day with a high of about 13C and a bit of a breeze, and we rode the cycleway ... 26.75 km.
Old 07-13-14, 08:40 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Two of us started before dawn on the Goatneck 200k Permanent.

We rode through Glen Rose. This is one of a couple of deserted stone buildings in town.

From there, the route goes on out to Bluffdale. This decorative lighthouse is on top of the hill, and it's a good downhill from here to Bluffdale.

From Bluffdale, we reversed our route to head back in.

A quick photo op stop in Glen Rose.

Past a hayfield near Glen Rose.

Last edited by StephenH; 07-13-14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-13-14, 10:34 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 151 Posts
Rode coast to hills and back along Linear Park bike track. Started the ride late so ended up riding an hour in total darkness with no lights.

Pic's here> https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post16933821
Old 07-13-14, 10:38 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...ering-ugh.html
Old 07-13-14, 02:00 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday 12th July: Cache Gran Fondo. Departed with my brother in law and nephew, lost them in the crowds at grand depart. Hit the first climb into Malad and grouped with another rider about my same ability. Finished the event with him after 4 hours of casual conversation, which really made the ride go by nicely. Got to the finish line and my sister in law says to him, "I know you! You're [I can't even remember]! The world got small all the sudden.

This is their third year doing the Gran Fondo, and I think they finally got their act together. Great event and amazing scenery. Changing altitude a few thousand feet between rides is also quite entertaining [to other people more than myself]
Old 07-13-14, 03:07 PM
Blaze444

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27 miles Saturday to Siesta Beach and back home and it was so nice I did it twice... once again today.
Old 07-13-14, 03:20 PM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
39 miles Sunday with my friend.
Old 07-13-14, 03:41 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
We rode through Glen Rose.
I grew up in Glen Rose. My home was about 200 yards from the old courthouse in the town square. Until it started becoming a big artsy tourist place and a harley hangout a couple of decades ago it was like going back in time to the 40's, malt shop and all. Kind of sad to see. Unfortunately my only child and grandbaby lives in NC, hopefully I can move home someday. My grandma's 90-something year old cousin is the dinosaur lady at the dinosaur park gift shop. 23c tires are not made for those roads haha
Old 07-13-14, 03:46 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I grew up in Glen Rose. My home was about 200 yards from the old courthouse in the town square. Until it started becoming a big artsy tourist place and a harley hangout a couple of decades ago it was like going back in time to the 40's, malt shop and all. Kind of sad to see. Unfortunately my only child and grandbaby lives in NC, hopefully I can move home someday. My grandma's 90-something year old cousin is the dinosaur lady at the dinosaur park gift shop. 23c tires are not made for those roads haha
When they started up the current round of randonneuring, initially, they tried to make sure the routes were as hilly as the Paris-Brest-Paris route, which is hilly, and that was hard to match in north Texas. But that area around Glen Rose was one place they could, so we ride through there quite a bit. Also, the Texas Time Trials uses a course that goes right through town. I don't notice the Harley hangout so much, but do notice the artsy tourist aspect, but that's okay, too, it's still a fun place to ride through.
Old 07-13-14, 04:47 PM
AScoda
Push harder, suck less

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Lefty 29er hardtail, 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decided to meet up with the Performance bicycle group ride this morning. I guess the heat is keeping some people away, as it was just the store manager, Bonnie and one other guy that showed up with me. We meandered over to and looped around Davis Island, and then decided to stretch it out and cruised down to Picnic island, which is a picnic area, but not an island. We ended with a little over 33 miles and with my round trip from the house, I had 46.6 miles in when I got back. Then straight into the pool, it's freakin' hot.
Old 07-13-14, 05:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 1,391 Posts
STP One-Day on our tandem! Yay, it's done and we made it! Our miserable, crappy time was ~15:15. We started at ~4:15 up the usual bike route across Montlake and got in at ~7:30 (I forgot to turn the Garmin off until after I'd eaten - low blood sugar no doubt). Our moving time was 12:25.

We had one little problem: we had a rear flat halfway up the Longview Bridge climb. Now that's a bad place to flat! Took us almost 20 minutes to fix it because we had to stay flattened against the bridge railing while endless groups of riders went by. We must have been about middle of the pack, there were so many of them. When the light at the bottom was red, we had a little bit of time to work. I didn't bother looking for damage and still don't know what it was because we haven't picked the bike up yet from the bike corral in Seattle. We threw on a brand new spare and tube and got remounted between groups. The rest did us some good though, because we passed almost everyone we saw between the bridge and St. Helens. We were paying for all that fun later, finally dropping to an ordinary cruise the last 6-7 miles before the St. Johns Bridge.

This year's finish into Portland was a PITA. There's a traffic light almost every block, and every one of them was red. They must be timed for people going the other way. That was frustrating for us, but must have been really frustrating for people trying for a good time.

We saw 6 other tandems, 5 of them doing the one-day. Two teams were dads with 8-10 y.o. daughters. Thinking of Cascade Bicycle Club's current push for diversity, one of them was African American. We can hope for racer girls in the making. We were able to hang with one pretty strong tandem for quite a while near Vader, which was really fun. We weren't able to hang with any of the usual big groups, being either much slower or much faster than they, depending on the terrain, so we spent 90% of the ride with our noses in the wind, the usual thing for us.

It was a hot ride. We saw a thermometer with 97° in St. Helens. Our Garmin had 104° in Centralia, but it was sitting in the sun. It showed a lot of 90°+ in the second half. We were only 7 hours into Centralia. Our average speed stayed about the same in the second half but our breaks got long. We had Camelbaks. I emptied mine completely in the 44 miles between Centralia and Lexington and then sat in Lexington and guzzled water for a long time before I could pee. Same thing in St. Helens after only another 30 miles. The heat shut down our digestions, so we were underfueled for the second half. I'm so thankful that we decided on the Camelbaks and one food bottle apiece. That really helped. We visited the REI Ministop for a pee but that's all, and then only stopped in Centralia, Lexington, and St. Helens, and of course for our nasty flat.

On the really good side, we didn't do all that badly. I think there were a lot of folks worse off and most of them half our age. When our bus left at 9:00, there were still riders streaming in. I don't think I ever saw that before. They shut down the finish line at 9:00! The last bus was supposed to be at 9:00, so I hope they put on at least one more. Ours was full.

Our moving average was 16.4, not so bad for a team that can't climb and we had VAMs of over 500 on all the "big" climbs. We didn't have any physical problems other than that my back would get sore from time to time, and Nancy didn't regrease in Centralia and thus was calling for a lot of standing the last 50 miles. We used some pretty good sunblock: Aloe Gator from REI. Nancy had just a bit of sunburn on her upper arms. I wore sun sleeves the whole way and had none.

All in all, I had fun. Nancy thought it very hard, but that's what I've always thought, too. We feel very good about the ride, although Nancy says now, "I'm not doing that again!' I guess I broke the stoker again. But she also says, "I'm proud to have been able to do it."

Bike Ride Profile | STP one-day near Seattle | Times and Records | Strava

CFB
Old 07-13-14, 07:52 PM
kahughey

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 29 Posts
16 mile group ride with some folks out to Kennesaw Mountain and back.
Old 07-13-14, 07:53 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
STP One-Day on our tandem! Yay, it's done and we made it! Our miserable, crappy time was ~15:15. We started at ~4:15 up the usual bike route across Montlake and got in at ~7:30 (I forgot to turn the Garmin off until after I'd eaten - low blood sugar no doubt). Our moving time was 12:25.

We had one little problem: we had a rear flat halfway up the Longview Bridge climb. Now that's a bad place to flat! Took us almost 20 minutes to fix it because we had to stay flattened against the bridge railing while endless groups of riders went by. We must have been about middle of the pack, there were so many of them. When the light at the bottom was red, we had a little bit of time to work. I didn't bother looking for damage and still don't know what it was because we haven't picked the bike up yet from the bike corral in Seattle. We threw on a brand new spare and tube and got remounted between groups. The rest did us some good though, because we passed almost everyone we saw between the bridge and St. Helens. We were paying for all that fun later, finally dropping to an ordinary cruise the last 6-7 miles before the St. Johns Bridge.

This year's finish into Portland was a PITA. There's a traffic light almost every block, and every one of them was red. They must be timed for people going the other way. That was frustrating for us, but must have been really frustrating for people trying for a good time.

We saw 6 other tandems, 5 of them doing the one-day. Two teams were dads with 8-10 y.o. daughters. Thinking of Cascade Bicycle Club's current push for diversity, one of them was African American. We can hope for racer girls in the making. We were able to hang with one pretty strong tandem for quite a while near Vader, which was really fun. We weren't able to hang with any of the usual big groups, being either much slower or much faster than they, depending on the terrain, so we spent 90% of the ride with our noses in the wind, the usual thing for us.

It was a hot ride. We saw a thermometer with 97° in St. Helens. Our Garmin had 104° in Centralia, but it was sitting in the sun. It showed a lot of 90°+ in the second half. We were only 7 hours into Centralia. Our average speed stayed about the same in the second half but our breaks got long. We had Camelbaks. I emptied mine completely in the 44 miles between Centralia and Lexington and then sat in Lexington and guzzled water for a long time before I could pee. Same thing in St. Helens after only another 30 miles. The heat shut down our digestions, so we were underfueled for the second half. I'm so thankful that we decided on the Camelbaks and one food bottle apiece. That really helped. We visited the REI Ministop for a pee but that's all, and then only stopped in Centralia, Lexington, and St. Helens, and of course for our nasty flat.

On the really good side, we didn't do all that badly. I think there were a lot of folks worse off and most of them half our age. When our bus left at 9:00, there were still riders streaming in. I don't think I ever saw that before. They shut down the finish line at 9:00! The last bus was supposed to be at 9:00, so I hope they put on at least one more. Ours was full.

Our moving average was 16.4, not so bad for a team that can't climb and we had VAMs of over 500 on all the "big" climbs. We didn't have any physical problems other than that my back would get sore from time to time, and Nancy didn't regrease in Centralia and thus was calling for a lot of standing the last 50 miles. We used some pretty good sunblock: Aloe Gator from REI. Nancy had just a bit of sunburn on her upper arms. I wore sun sleeves the whole way and had none.

All in all, I had fun. Nancy thought it very hard, but that's what I've always thought, too. We feel very good about the ride, although Nancy says now, "I'm not doing that again!' I guess I broke the stoker again. But she also says, "I'm proud to have been able to do it."

Bike Ride Profile | STP one-day near Seattle | Times and Records | Strava

CFB
Awesome ride! That sounds like a toughie.
Old 07-13-14, 07:54 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by Heathpack
This weekend I am test riding a used bike that I might buy as my back-up bike. My main squeeze is a BMC GF01, which I totally love. But I like cycling so much that having just one bike is not enough, for example the BMC is in the shop so I've had nothing to ride for a week now. Well, not really nothing, I have a back-up bike that I just don't like.

The bike I'm testing this weekend is a Madone. So far, I like it. I rode 32 flat miles yesterday and 50 slightly hilly miles today.

Rode 62 miles, 3200 ft of climbing on test ride #4 of this lovely bike, making it ~150 miles for the weekend.

And then I bought it.
Old 07-13-14, 08:04 PM
sardond

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira, 2011 Specialized Sirrus Pro, 2014 Kestrel Talon, 2014 Blue Triad EX, 2014 Argon 18, 2014 Felt B16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Triathlete buddy took me out Friday for a punishing 31 miles.
Then, I punished myself for 53 miles Sunday.
Old 07-13-14, 09:29 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sun: as noted 100mi today. about 3700' of mostly rolling hills along the coast of SE Mass. Hot and windy, not much shade. Reminded myself again why I prefer 100k or less.. last 30mi were a pretty rough trudge with a bunch of wind. It was my friends first century so that was good for her but she was toasted too. Stayed with the front group for about 40-45mi.. then dropped back on our own so we didn't blow up completely. 65mi today would have been perfect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.