Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo RFLKT on Android

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo RFLKT on Android

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 05:30 AM
kancamagus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo RFLKT on Android

Just got one of these and am happy so far. Documentation is poor, but there are some helpful videos on Youtube. Problem is they're all aimed at iPhone users, which seems like the primary market for the device/software.

On Android, I don't see how to get the "Temperature" reading working - I can add the temperature data cell to a custom screen, but no actual temperature reading appears.

Update: Ok, it's not the RFLKT that's the problem, as it's just a dumb head unit for the phone, displaying whatever data the phone has for it. The problem is the Wahoo Fitness app does not have a temperature reading on the page where the cell for it is defined, i.e. the "altitude" page. So my question has the wrong subject - it should be, "Where does the Fitness app get the temperature from on an Android phone?"

Last edited by kancamagus; 08-22-16 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 01:49 PM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought that only the RFLKT+ had the temp sensor, and of course has been discontinued.
Old 08-26-16, 04:21 PM
probboy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kancamagus
So my question has the wrong subject - it should be, "Where does the Fitness app get the temperature from on an Android phone?"
If it's anything like the iPhone version, the answer is "you can't." You can use another app like Cyclometer to get additional data (altitude, grade, temp).
Old 08-26-16, 05:15 PM
kancamagus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more I look into this, the more I think neither the RFLKT or the Fitness app is the problem. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, and googling produces some "authoritative" comments saying that the S5 actually discontinued the temperature sensor that was present in previous generations of the phone. You can also find posts saying the opposite, but it makes sense to me that the Fitness app might be querying a sensor that, on my phone, is just not there.
Old 08-27-16, 11:07 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
The RFLKT does not have a built in thermometer, as does the discontinued RFLKT+. It has to get that information from the phone app which will either get it from a thermometer built into the phone or quarry a web service to get the temperature in your location. If your app uses a web service to obtain weather information, it will use your cellular service in order to do so. I have a RFLKT+ that I've had for a few years. The thermometer on it isn't that accurate and is usually way off more than it is close to being correct.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress