Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-14, 05:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Very clean and down to business! So opposite of the "look at me" image of the modern machines. It could be build of the year. But don't forget about the Pinarello a couple of pages back. Both are very similar looking bikes.
Old 09-30-14, 06:54 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
That Dean Castanza looks great with nice and tight cable housings up front but that RD housing looks waaaaaaayy too long. Not only are the tire labels not lined up, are the tires different from each other, the rear looks smaller than the front.
Old 09-30-14, 08:16 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
As if I know haiku from Budokhan....

My favorite lines are from songs, anyway, i.e. "Put another chair on the fire; bring a bottle over here...I think I'm catchin' pneumonia."

OK, OK, I'll try it.

Agile, tight, precise.
Smooth stratus, gliding forward.
Ironman Master.
I'm more of an AABBA guy. We roll about 30 miles south of the Cape.
Old 10-03-14, 12:03 AM
jaseyjase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
That Dean Castanza looks great with nice and tight cable housings up front but that RD housing looks waaaaaaayy too long. Not only are the tire labels not lined up, are the tires different from each other, the rear looks smaller than the front.
SRAM recommend a longer RD cable housing for smoother operation. Function>Form here
Old 10-06-14, 06:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I started converting my 1982 McLean yesterday. Since I built the bike in 1983, it has had mostly Campagnolo Nuovo stuff on it. BB is Sugino, and chainrings are Super Record.

I brought the bike up to the country and forgot that I don't have complete duplicate sets of tools. I left my master link pliers and my crank extractor in the city, so I could not remove the chain or cranks.

I got a Tiagra set of derailleurs and shifters from a BF member. The FD didn't fit, as it is made for a 34.9mm seat tube. I was able to fashion a shim, and it looked like maybe it would work, but then I happened upon an Ultegra FD in one of my bins, so I thought, hey, perfect, and it is even lighter. But it doesn't work. Could it be because the Tiagra FD requires a different cable pull than the Ultegra? Or could it be because I am using an old Campagnolo Record crankset? Both FD's are triple, and the existing crank is a double.

I am not sure what chain is on there now. It might be 7- or 8- or 9-speed. It seems to work fine with the 9-speed cassette. Well, it did get a little noisy at times, so I shifted it down and then back up, and the noise went away. I wonder if there was a resonance that I killed by placing the chain on different teeth. It's weird but honestly, it wasn't annoying.

For whatever it's worth, the brifters work very well with the Campagnolo Record single-pivot brakes. I expected them, too, and it's nice that there were no surprises there.

Pictures soon.

For now, I have a few cranksets to choose from. I have a 105 (or so) triple crank which should work well, I guess, but it has one or two steel chainrings. I'd prefer all aluminum. I've already made this bike heavier with this conversion. I have some older, pre-hyperdrive Sugino cranksets I'd rather use. Are they likely to work? I realize I can just try it, but how important is hyperdrive when using brifters. Oh my god, I just realized that that could be the problem with the Campy crankset, eh?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-14, 02:48 PM
ratfink76

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1994 Kona Lava Dome, 1991 Quattro Assi, 1990 Bottecchia Team ADR SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

Pictures soon.
Can't wait to see these pics!

I am doing a Tiagra brifter build as well, but this frame uses a braze on FD and I have an Ultegra one in the parts bin. 105 RD, Tri-Color crankset, Tetra brakes with a white Concor Light saddle. White grip tape and cables on order. Campy Chorus seatpost, Cinelli bars.

These are the only rims I have, but I am going to de-sticker them so hopefully they will do the job for now even though they are black.

Pics of the frame and with a few parts mounted:

Old 10-06-14, 04:14 PM
crn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My modern retro build... Master 1993 with Chorus11 and Zondas

Old 10-07-14, 03:10 AM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^

Great looking Colnago and perfectly built.
Old 10-07-14, 06:09 AM
PhilPub

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
^^ Lovely Colnago!

I'm a little nervous about an upcoming flight to Mallorca, as I've decided to take the Ron Cooper out with me. Here's something I learnt recently about the unique properties of a vintage steel/modern groupset build. Quill stem + neat brifter cable job = very awkward packing in a bike box! I've had to disattach the cables from the front brake and both gear mechs to get the stem out of the frame. Just hoping I can get it all fitted together and functioning properly at the other end. Hopefully it'll all be worth it and I can report back with some scenic shots of Ron up a mountain!

Old 10-07-14, 08:58 AM
kingfishr

Bikes: Ridley Noah, Trek Emonda, Colnago C59, Colnago Master, 1980 Colnago Super, Wilier Blade

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PhilPub
^^ Lovely Colnago!

I'm a little nervous about an upcoming flight to Mallorca, as I've decided to take the Ron Cooper out with me. Here's something I learnt recently about the unique properties of a vintage steel/modern groupset build. Quill stem + neat brifter cable job = very awkward packing in a bike box! I've had to disattach the cables from the front brake and both gear mechs to get the stem out of the frame. Just hoping I can get it all fitted together and functioning properly at the other end. Hopefully it'll all be worth it and I can report back with some scenic shots of Ron up a mountain!
Not sure it is only steel frames. I took my Specialized Tarmac to Mallorca this year and had to about the same as you. And on top of that the handlebars would not find inside the triangle like the directions showed. Next year I am taking my Colnago Master!
Old 10-07-14, 06:31 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
That's a hot one, Joe!
Originally Posted by ratfink76

Old 10-07-14, 06:33 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by noglider
I started converting my 1982 McLean yesterday. Since I built the bike in 1983, it has had mostly Campagnolo Nuovo stuff on it. BB is Sugino, and chainrings are Super Record.

I brought the bike up to the country and forgot that I don't have complete duplicate sets of tools. I left my master link pliers and my crank extractor in the city, so I could not remove the chain or cranks.

I got a Tiagra set of derailleurs and shifters from a BF member. The FD didn't fit, as it is made for a 34.9mm seat tube. I was able to fashion a shim, and it looked like maybe it would work, but then I happened upon an Ultegra FD in one of my bins, so I thought, hey, perfect, and it is even lighter. But it doesn't work. Could it be because the Tiagra FD requires a different cable pull than the Ultegra? Or could it be because I am using an old Campagnolo Record crankset? Both FD's are triple, and the existing crank is a double.

I am not sure what chain is on there now. It might be 7- or 8- or 9-speed. It seems to work fine with the 9-speed cassette. Well, it did get a little noisy at times, so I shifted it down and then back up, and the noise went away. I wonder if there was a resonance that I killed by placing the chain on different teeth. It's weird but honestly, it wasn't annoying.

For whatever it's worth, the brifters work very well with the Campagnolo Record single-pivot brakes. I expected them, too, and it's nice that there were no surprises there.

Pictures soon.

For now, I have a few cranksets to choose from. I have a 105 (or so) triple crank which should work well, I guess, but it has one or two steel chainrings. I'd prefer all aluminum. I've already made this bike heavier with this conversion. I have some older, pre-hyperdrive Sugino cranksets I'd rather use. Are they likely to work? I realize I can just try it, but how important is hyperdrive when using brifters. Oh my god, I just realized that that could be the problem with the Campy crankset, eh?
What size chainrings do you need, and what BCD?
Old 10-07-14, 06:34 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by link0
^^^

Great looking Colnago and perfectly built.
+ them.
Old 10-07-14, 08:19 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Heh crn, Welcome.

Your Colnago is perfect.

My Elegant is also a 1993.

[IMG]DSCN5834 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-08-14, 12:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
What size chainrings do you need, and what BCD?
Wow, what a nice offer! I'll let you know. I'm not sure when I'll be upstate next to continue the work. Thank you!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-08-14, 04:18 PM
agchopz

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My centurion is coming a long nicely but im having a hard time with the derailleurs i cant get the front to shift for the life of me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 10-09-14, 05:18 AM
kaiseroscar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firstly this thread is AMAZING.

I have a NOS early 1990's Venturi, Columbus Brain frame
130mm rear spacing
Internal cable routing on the top tube.
Downtube shifters which I have got cable stops for.
I am considering either shimano 105 5800 or Ultegra 6800 for the group (Sacrilege/Frankenstein I know)

My two questions are -

Has anyone had a problem with the height of the front derailleur braze plate being used with a compact 50/34 crankset. What I mean is, as this frame was probably designed for a triple or a 53/39 will the difference in height pose a problem for the front derailleur?

Secondly - If your rear spacing is 130mm should you be all good for a modern 11 speed shimano cassette/wheel?

This is my first road bike build, first steel bike in fact and this thread has been truly inspiring.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-09-14, 07:29 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaiseroscar

Secondly - If your rear spacing is 130mm should you be all good for a modern 11 speed shimano cassette/wheel?

Thanks in advance
130mm is good for modern 10/11 speed
Old 10-09-14, 09:16 AM
kaiseroscar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks
Old 10-09-14, 09:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by kaiseroscar
Firstly this thread is AMAZING. Welcome to the fun house.

Shimano 105 5800 (best bang for the buck $525) or Ultegra 6800 (classy $775) for the group, or SRAM Rival 22 $800 (rear wheel has to hold 11-sp cassettes)

My two questions are -

Has anyone had a problem with the height of the front derailleur braze plate being used with a compact 50/34 crankset. What I mean is, as this frame was probably designed for a triple or a 53/39 will the difference in height pose a problem for the front derailleur?

Thanks in advance
Firstly, if the rear spacing is 130mm, the wheel will fit in the frame. However, if you haven't encountered the cassette issue, the rear freehub carrier needs to have about 37mm of room for an 11-sp cassette. If you're buying dedicated 11-speed wheels, no problem. Most 8/9/10 rear hubs will not accommodate that 11-sp cassette. Some will, for example, modern Mavics (suddenly making that Ksyrium and Aksium set a bit more valuable).

Secondly, I've moved back and forth between compact and full size on several frames with braze-on FD mounts, never had a problem. In fact, I have had extra space on the FD tab both times. You may not be able to mount that second bolt on an SRAM FD, but they only require one bolt, anyway.
Old 10-09-14, 11:19 AM
kaiseroscar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is really very helpful mate. Thanks a lot.

In terms of wheels, whatever they are they'll be new 11 speed compatible ones.

Thanks all
Old 10-10-14, 01:17 PM
agchopz

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No one came across huge chainline problems? with the hollowtech II bottombrack and my 6700 crank, my 6700 ultegra derailleur doesnt have enough pull to reach the outside ring now. The line is too far off
Old 10-10-14, 01:29 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by agchopz
No one came across huge chainline problems? with the hollowtech II bottombrack and my 6700 crank, my 6700 ultegra derailleur doesnt have enough pull to reach the outside ring now. The line is too far off
Was the 6700 crank matched with the bottom bracket?
Old 10-10-14, 02:19 PM
agchopz

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
Was the 6700 crank matched with the bottom bracket?
Tiagra hollowtech II BB with ultegra 6700 crankset. i believe they go together well.
Old 10-10-14, 02:27 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by agchopz
Tiagra hollowtech II BB with ultegra 6700 crankset. i believe they go together well.
Did you set it up with spacers to adjust the chainline according to Shimano's manual?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.