Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bike riding and hiking?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bike riding and hiking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 09:37 AM
Kimberly89
BikerLiker

Bikes: Vitus ZX1 CRS Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike riding and hiking?

Is here someone, who combines bike riding and hiking? Sometimes my friends and I pack small backpacks and go somewhere, where we can do both things. What do you think about such an activity?
Also, I wanted to ask, maybe someone knows. Sometimes, when I ride and bike for a long time, or hike, I start feeling pain in my feet. They are flat, but I've never faced anything like this before. Can it be connected with time of doing activities, or no?
Old 04-08-20, 10:10 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Hiking goes great with biking, definitely great activity to mix.I'll assume with your road bike (Vitus) you are using clip-less biking shoes. Perhaps the position needs to be tweaked. I know for hiking, a higher arch helps me from pain on longer hikes.

Last edited by CodyDog; 04-08-20 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 05:54 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimberly89
Is here someone, who combines bike riding and hiking? Sometimes my friends and I pack small backpacks and go somewhere, where we can do both things. What do you think about such an activity?
Also, I wanted to ask, maybe someone knows. Sometimes, when I ride and bike for a long time, or hike, I start feeling pain in my feet. They are flat, but I've never faced anything like this before. Can it be connected with time of doing activities, or no?
Perfectly fine to combine the two..done it many times. Any time I hit a long 7% grade uphill..I often go hiking.

Seriously..feet hurting from either activity can have different roots. With hiking, your feet swell as you hike(along with your hands)..if your boots are at all tight, that can be one source. Arch support is another source. You say your feet are flat..they could still need some support in the arch. There are lots of shoe insoles available to meet those needs. I have high arches and use Superfeet (green or orange) in my hiking boots, among others and they help tremendously. Other colors (lower arch support) are available. Avoid inserts that are completely flexible(all soft foam)..a good arch insole should have a more rigid backbone.

On the bike..arches matter too. I assume you're riding with bike shoes already, if not, get some soon. If the balls of your feet are hurting during a ride it's likely the metatarsals getting inflamed. It hurts. This can be addressed by properly placed metatarsal pads(google/youtube it), or arch insert in your riding shoes, or both.

As you age..things like this will pop up..
Likes For fishboat:
Old 04-09-20, 08:43 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
It's a great activity. The only question is how to secure the bikes so they don't get vandalized/stole in between. My strategy is usually stashed in the bush, locked to a tree with a note.

This a little trip I did last year. The hike is up to the top of a peak but you need to travel the 15 Km logging road first to get to the trail head. Sustained grade the whole way.

You can't really see, but in the first pic I am wearing trail running shoes with ankle gaiters. They grip the platform pedals well, have knobby tread like mtb tires and keep the gravel out. I trail run so they are perfect for hiking anyway. I also strip the bike down of removable parts (in this case an older bike that doesn't look like money) and wear a backpack so I can hike as well as bike.

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-14-20, 10:00 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I've used my fatbike to hunt off of. I just borrow racks off one of the touring bikes to set it up when a hunt is coming up. I usually only plan one or two hunts per year, the wife and I don't need that much meat. I can ride to areas where I can glass and prepare a stalk. Deer and Antelope are quartered, bagged and strapped to the racks for the ride out. I would much rather carry 40 pounds of meat than drag a whole carcass.
Old 04-15-20, 01:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I am well acquainted with doing the old "hike-a-bike"
Old 04-28-20, 09:55 AM
Alan37

Bikes: Ibis Ripmo GX 2018, Yeti SB130 TURQ X01 2019

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, there is nothing better than riding a bike combined with hicking. I can't even remember when I had such an experience for the first time. I think it was more than five years ago. My friends and I each try to go on such adventure as often as we can, whenever the weather is good. Sometimes we also take tents with us, and everything turns into the riding-hicking-camping trip, and it's something for sure worth trying. Kimberly, you said that when you ride a bike or hike for a long time, you start feeling pain in feet. I'm not a doctor, but I think that it can be connected with activities and the pressure on your feet. I have flat feet, and sometimes I can feel pain when I hike for a long time. Maybe, the problem can also be in the shoes you wear. When I bought another pair of hiking shoes, it helped to reduce the pain. I think it's a good idea to ask a doctor about your problem. Also, you can check this article here https://perfectshoesforyou.com/best-...for-flat-feet/, where you'll find the best hiking shoes for flat feet and the detailed review of each. I came across that article when I was looking for a new pair for me to buy, and maybe, it'll help you too.

Last edited by Alan37; 04-29-20 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 08:16 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
A good friend always told me...Why walk when you have a perfectly good bike to ride?